PDA

View Full Version : Question about shipping items to Canada

lchang25000
02-17-2011, 08:14 PM
How much more is shipping if I send something to Canada? Is is based on weight? Are there other fees charged?

LMPC
02-17-2011, 09:45 PM
Have you tried to do a rough calculation on usps?
http://ircalc.usps.gov/
It might at least give you a ballpark figure. I can't imagine that it would be *that* much more than shipping in the US. And unless you were sending something very pricey, I can't imagine that there would be any tariffs on it.

Not sure if this helps at all.....

Neatfreak
02-17-2011, 09:53 PM
According to friends and family who shipped birthday packages to us in Canada, the difference was only ever a few dollars.

MontrealMum
02-17-2011, 10:03 PM
Shipping to Canada vs. w/in the US isn't all that much more unless it's something super large or heavy. I'd check out the USPS site that pp linked above and enter your dimensions and the address to make sure. The big difference is that while it's about $1.50-$2.50 to mail a small/light package (less than 30" totalling all dimensions) to Canada via First Class International, that doesn't come with insurance. For that you have to use Priority (IIRC) and that's around $11. So whether you want to insure it or not may be an issue. There are also some issues around the use of flat rate box/envelope when you go international but I don't know all the ins and outs of the USPS so it's best to check their online calculator.

lchang25000
02-18-2011, 05:26 PM
Thanks so much for the link and info everyone!

mom2binsd
02-18-2011, 08:35 PM
As long as it's under 4lbs it can go First Class International and usually it's not too much more expensive than within the the US. If it's to a boardie or a friend I wouldn't worry about not having tracking info. If you can put in an envelope it'll be much cheaper than in a box.

You will have to fill out a customs form, if it's to a friend (or say a BBB member from swap:innocent:) you can mark it "gift". It's important to put "used clothing" if that's what is inside. Also put the amount paid for the item, not the shipping cost too.

You can't print out the postage on paypal like you can for US postage, so it does require a trip to the post office (unless you use stamps.com).

lchang25000
02-19-2011, 03:08 PM
As long as it's under 4lbs it can go First Class International and usually it's not too much more expensive than within the the US. If it's to a boardie or a friend I wouldn't worry about not having tracking info. If you can put in an envelope it'll be much cheaper than in a box.

You will have to fill out a customs form, if it's to a friend (or say a BBB member from swap:innocent:) you can mark it "gift". It's important to put "used clothing" if that's what is inside. Also put the amount paid for the item, not the shipping cost too.

You can't print out the postage on paypal like you can for US postage, so it does require a trip to the post office (unless you use stamps.com).

Thanks! That's very helpful. So the customs form is required for all packages (big and small) sent to Canada? The amount paid is the price I paid for the items or the amount I sold them for? I've always been hesistant to mail items to Canada since I've never done it before, but it doesn't sound as complicated as I thought. :)

mom2binsd
02-19-2011, 07:44 PM
The amount is what you sold them for.

Each package has to have a customs form.

It's pretty easy, ask at the desk to make sure you get the right form.

You just have to put addresses, amount, description, don't worry about the weight they weigh it for you.

The First class rates aren't too bad, priority is nuts!

lchang25000
02-20-2011, 12:16 PM
The amount is what you sold them for.

Each package has to have a customs form.

It's pretty easy, ask at the desk to make sure you get the right form.

You just have to put addresses, amount, description, don't worry about the weight they weigh it for you.

The First class rates aren't too bad, priority is nuts!

Thank you!