PDA

View Full Version : Need a double stroller to fit a 4 yr old and infant

dolphilisa
02-17-2011, 08:38 PM
I'm due with DS #2 in April. DS #1 will turn 4 in March and weighs 40lbs. I have the Chicco Cortina Travel System (KeyFit -22lbs) so I prefer a stroller that I'll be able to just "click" in the infant seat and DS #1 can also ride in.
I don't know whether or not I should get the Chicco double stroller because it says it can only hold up to 40lbs. in a seat. Could I get by with it for a year knowing DS #1 won't gain that much weight.
Should I be looking at the sit 'n stands? Are they comfortable? DS #1 still likes to ride in the stroller. Which brands accept the Chicco KeyFit infant carrier? Do you have to buy adapters?

TIA for your help. Would love to get this figured out before the trade-in deal at BRU is over.

Purple18
02-17-2011, 08:48 PM
Hi - I would avoid a double and stick with what you have. Your 4YO probably won't want to ride for much longer - he may want to ride his bike or walk. For really long walks where he may need a lift on the way back or if you need to quickly get him back to the car from the mall or whatever, you could look into a buggy board to hook onto the back of your stroller. It may save you some $ too.

dolphilisa
02-17-2011, 08:54 PM
I'm not familiar with a buggy board. I'll have to look that up. Any recommendations? Will it work with the Chicco Cortina stroller since the handlebar goes all the way across the back of the stroller. There's no break where the child could actually stand.
I'm just concerned about not having a stroller for DS1 to ride in when we go to the zoo, fair, mall, etc.

roseyloxs
02-17-2011, 10:01 PM
What's your budget?

carolinamama
02-17-2011, 10:06 PM
DS1 was just 3 when DS2 was born. I did not buy a double. Instead we used 2 singles if we had more than one adult along for the daytrip or I used a Peg Perego P3 with the built in step on the back for DS1. He did great at that age riding on the step and that way he could easily jump on and off. I used a Mac Quest and the P3 as our 2 singles.

dolphilisa
02-17-2011, 10:35 PM
I plan on keeping the Chicco single stroller for days when maybe only baby needs it. I'll just click in the infant seat and go. That's why I'm probably not in the market to buy another single stroller.
Not a lot of $ in the budget for a new stroller. The $300 for the Chicco double is really pushing it.

WatchingThemGrow
02-17-2011, 10:40 PM
How much are you really going to be out and about with them? For that age spread, I would not buy a double. I'd wait and see and just plan on bringing a carrier so I could wear the baby if the older one needs to ride. It's not like he's a 1.5 to 2yo who cannot be reasoned with, and chances are, you're not going to be doing all-day outings with a newborn, right?

carolinamama
02-17-2011, 10:41 PM
I forgot to mention that I would probably wait and see if you really need it before committing before you know how your life will flow at the time. Babies are comfy in carriers if you need the stroller for your 4 yo etc. You may find that the money is better spent on something else ie a different single with a buggy board or not even a stroller!

Purple18
02-17-2011, 10:46 PM
DS1 was also just turning 3 when DS2 was born so we did the buggy board - he wasn't big on the stroller even at 2.5YO - he wanted to get out and walk unless he was really tired. Our singles both had bar handles and I found the buggy board worked just fine on the larger stroller - it give DS1 enough room to stand on the board and stick his body between the fabric of the stroller and the handle bar and he was right in front of me. The larger of my singles worked better when we still had the infant seat in the stroller just from a space standpoint, but I know you can buy the board and extra attachments so you can hook the board onto multiple strollers.

Here's a link. http://www.lascal.se/web/products_start.aspx

Looks like you can check compatability on their website, but I tried it out before DS2 arrived with the infant seat and my son in the store before I bought it and everyone was happy.

Purple18
02-17-2011, 10:51 PM
How much are you really going to be out and about with them? For that age spread, I would not buy a double. I'd wait and see and just plan on bringing a carrier so I could wear the baby if the older one needs to ride. It's not like he's a 1.5 to 2yo who cannot be reasoned with, and chances are, you're not going to be doing all-day outings with a newborn, right?

Totally agree with this as well - you can always use a carrier if DS1 is running off. I found myself keeping my carrier in the basket of my stroller all the time so I always had it as an option. I just saw your post on your budget and think you will be happier if you save the money for a more fun purchase down the line or another single when you are out of the infant carrier stage. I also used my infant carrier for less time with DS2 - once I remembered how heavy those infant seats can get over time I was really looking forward to getting my Roundabout back into rotation. ;)