PDA

View Full Version : Scouts Lesson on Human Rights

Raidra
02-17-2011, 11:51 PM
This is so last minute, ugh. I lead our homeschool group's Earth Scouts. This year we're focusing on human rights. Since our kids are pretty young, we're mainly working on teaching empathy and doing service projects. Tomorrow we're going to make cards to send to soldiers. I have a book to read the kids about the experiences of a soldier during the Vietnam War. We'll start with circle time and talk about war, soldiers, etc, then read the book, then make the cards. That's not going to take very long, so I'm trying to come up with some other ideas of what we can do. I don't have time to buy any supplies, but if anyone has any ideas for activities or games we might do, I would LOVE to hear them. It doesn't have to be strictly related to the cards-for-soldiers activity, it can be a general empathy teaching type game.

Thanks guys!

MamaMolly
02-18-2011, 09:49 AM
I saw in Consumer Reports where you can send like new stuffed animals to soldiers in war zones to give away. Maybe you guys could start up a collection?

It is called Beanies for Baghdad www.beaniesforbaghdad.com and another called LovingHugs.org

You would have to pay postage.