PDA

View Full Version : Do you have a junk drawer?

fortato
02-18-2011, 09:06 AM
I was reading something about organizing projects and one of the things the blogger listed was "organize a drawer".

And right in front of me on this desky thing is my junk drawer..... It has things that have no real home- random game pieces, a magnifying glass, spare Christmas lights, batteries, a tape measure..... stuff like that....

We had a junk drawer in my parent's house, and I know we had one in our old apartment. I don't know if DH's family had one in their house, frankly, I'm too scared to look.... I only just this year got brave enough to look behind the bar in the living room....

I was wondering if anyone here has one... is it common???

ETA- pictures of the IL's bar
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g278/kristenkotrlik/020-3.jpg
REALLLLY OLD liquor

and
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g278/kristenkotrlik/019-6.jpg
A foil hat.

o_mom
02-18-2011, 09:11 AM
Corie's thread last year: http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=348920

S/O thread with pictures: http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=349006

Meatball Mommie
02-18-2011, 09:39 AM
Unfortunately I have more than 1 junk drawer :bag although not ALL my drawers are bad. I have one in my nightstand, 2 in the kitchen, 1 in the laundry room, 1 in the pantry and then my entire "craft closet" is in shambles at the moment.

My problem is lack of time to organize. I work full time, cart 2 kids to hockey practice/games and swimming, and have to do the usual household stuff (laundry, cooking, shopping) - who has time to organize a junk drawer?? It's low on the priority list for sure!

I am actually planning on taking a personal day after Feb vacation to do some purging/cleaning. I don't want to take a day during vacation bc. the kids will be home and I want the day all to myself ;)

fortato
02-18-2011, 09:40 AM
Corie's thread last year: http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=348920

S/O thread with pictures: http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=349006

Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

Twoboos
02-18-2011, 09:51 AM
Um, Forato what's the deal with the roses? The leaves look fake but the roses look real... real dead. Maybe they did not properly use the hat?

ETA: My mom had a bar like that. Complete with booze my grandmother had made. She died in 1981.

elliput
02-18-2011, 09:52 AM
:hysterical: The foil hat is Priceless!

gobadgers
02-18-2011, 09:52 AM
OMG those pictures! I almost sneezed looking at them :-)

I voted 'all', because I realized I have one in several rooms in the house - one in each bathroom, one in the spare room, there's one in DD's dresser (it has random toys in it), and there's one in my bedroom too. The only drawer I call "The Junk Drawer" is in the kitchen and is actually pretty well organized compared to the rest. It has tape, coupons, pens, sharpies, pads of paper, etc... in it.

veronica
02-18-2011, 10:01 AM
last years thread is what prompted me to clean up my computer armoire. It's looked pretty good since then. I don't have a junk drawer where it's all contained.

I like to spread all the junk around the house!!!

BabyMine
02-18-2011, 10:08 AM
I decided to clean after last years thread so I threw everything into a big box. I no longer have junk drawers but a junk box.

LMPC
02-18-2011, 10:38 AM
OMG those pictures are making me LMAO! It's like everything in my grandmother's house! We have a junk drawer...and have had one in every house. Such a necessity IMO. Every once in a while I will clean it out, but it's where we put all the bits and pieces that don't fit anywhere else. I am very much an everything-has-it's-place kinda gal. Most of my other drawers are organized. Well, kind of....

Fairy
02-18-2011, 11:16 AM
I have a whole room that's slowly, very slowly, becomming a junk room. I also have a counter above the junk drawer that the junk is migrating to. A junk counter. Ugh.

Nice roses!

ellies mom
02-18-2011, 11:23 AM
I have two. One in the kitchen and one in the buffet that I used for all my school stuff. I actually just cleaned out the one in the kitchen last week. It took forever because you have to find a place for all those things that you don't have a place for. I mean that is why it all ended up there in the first place. It's still my junk drawer. It is just much emptier. My next goal is to get the one in the buffet. It is kind of like my desk drawer. Not going to be pretty.

mommylamb
02-18-2011, 11:26 AM
The foil hat is kind of hilarious.

We have a junk drawer. DH, who is a neat freak, is constantly annoyed with it and keeps trying to organize it. And I keep messing it up.

fortato
02-18-2011, 12:29 PM
I should add that the fingerprints on the liquor bottles were mine... I have this compulsion to leave my initials when I see something dusty- I held back with the bottles...

I also want to add that my IL's house is the place that never left the 70's- They still have the wooden fork and spoons (think Everybody Love Raymond) and really loud wallpaper in most rooms. AAAAAnnnnnddd- paneling. Lots of paneling everywhere.

I need to find out more about those flowers behind the bar, because all the dried flowers from the weddings are in a curio, so these might be flowers of shame....

JoyNChrist
02-18-2011, 12:40 PM
I also want to add that my IL's house is the place that never left the 70's- They still have the wooden fork and spoons (think Everybody Love Raymond) and really loud wallpaper in most rooms. AAAAAnnnnnddd- paneling. Lots of paneling everywhere.

I think we bought their house, complete with wooden fork and spoon still hanging in the kitchen. We've been remodeling. ;)

The foil hat is cracking me up.

ETA - I never answered the question. We have one junk drawer in the kitchen and one in the office. Actually, the whole desk in the office is kind of the place where unorganized objects go to rest. Need to fix that at some point.

o_mom
02-18-2011, 12:57 PM
Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

You're welcome. I loved that picture thread.

I think your IL's foil hat would worry me.

sunshine873
02-18-2011, 01:05 PM
I voted that all my drawers are junk drawers. But that has started changing over the last week and will continue to change over the next 2 months before we move. I've done this before and experience tells me that the movers will happily dump all the junk into a box. Then I'll have to go through it when I get where I'm going. Finding out that you've moved a lot of trash is a real bummer.

So, at least twice a week, I'm taking a trip to the dump and a trip to goodwill. Hopefully I make it through all the junk drawers (and the junk room) before moving day!

KLD313
02-18-2011, 08:09 PM
I voted other because I have a junk room, it's bad, I know.

Nooknookmom
02-18-2011, 08:15 PM
I voted "all my drawers are junk drawers", lol. I DO clean them out and then the junk multiplies at night.

YouAreTheFocus
02-18-2011, 08:28 PM
... I also have a counter above the junk drawer that the junk is migrating to. A junk counter. Ugh. ...

LMAO :rotflmao:

Jacobsmom
02-18-2011, 09:00 PM
Our drawer of the hutch is the "junk drawer" although I call it the the "multipurpose drawer". Makes me feel better about it :wink2:

Pinky
02-18-2011, 09:29 PM
We got rid of our junk drawer and now instead we have a shoe organizer hanging on the back of our pantry door... it's like one giant junk drawer for things without homes. The good thing is I can see everything at once.