PDA

View Full Version : Which one of these would you chose?

spring_mommy
02-18-2011, 12:43 PM
Let's pretend that they are the same price (i don't know what would be a good price or if they are even comparable)

What pro's and con's of each? I don't see MB's on our CL often but there are always a lot of Bob's.

Is the MB a beast?

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/bab/2210092162.html

or

http://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/bab/2220028164.html

arivecchi
02-18-2011, 12:47 PM
The MB will have a smaller canopy. That is a MBUD not a MB Duo, which has much bigger and separate canopies. If canopies are important, the Bob is the better option. The MBUD will be more narrow and shorter.

Having said all that, the MBUD looks like it is in much better condition. The footwell of the Bob looks faded to me and that would drive me nuts.

spring_mommy
02-18-2011, 12:52 PM
Good observation :) Can you get a sunshade for the MB double?

Multimama
02-18-2011, 12:53 PM
Well, I'd rather have an MBUD than a Duallie and I love that chocolate color. But in general I don't trust people who don't know or don't properly identify what their stroller is (MBUD vs. Duo). So I'd be leaning towards the Bob. But you can buy a new Bob Duallie for $441 right now, so I don't think I'd buy a used one in that condition for $350.

spring_mommy
02-18-2011, 12:58 PM
I'm not going to buy that specific duallie but we often have them on our CL- it's just my prop for finding out which people would prefer given the choice between the 2. I like that MB but it looks enormous.

How do the reclines compare?
Weight?
Overall width and seat width?

AnnieW625
02-18-2011, 01:03 PM
I would check them both out. I wouldn't blame the person who titled the MBUD as a duo though, it's probably just an honest mistake. I love my Bob Duallie, and I would've loved to have checked out a Mountain Buggy when I was looking to compare the too, but there were non Craigslist ones and the nearest dealers were over an hour a way (and I didn't want to order and have to return, kwim). The Bob actually looks like it is in good shape and I think there was a lot of light when the photo was taken.

arivecchi
02-18-2011, 01:05 PM
An MBUD will be much smaller than a Duallie. It is only 29 inches wide while I think the Duallie is over 31 inches wide. It is also much shorter. The Bob Duallie will be lighter. I believe the MB Duo weighs 35 pounds and holds up to 110 pounds. They are tanks.

I guess you can buy an after-market canopy extension. There are also rumors that MB will sell the new canopies for older strollers (the new canopies were rolled out in 2010), but I do not belive that has come to fruition yet.

The MB has full recline, the Bob does not.

Honestly, people who are not stroller connoisseurs will not know that the MBUD has now changed to the MB Duo so I would not hold that against the seller.

I personally love the chocolate dot MB and prefer MBs to Bobs in general, so I would be all over that MB listing. It's a good price and it looks like it has not been used much.

crl
02-18-2011, 01:09 PM
I have used after market canopy extenders and hate them. Mostly because they twist and flap or something in the wind. So if canopy is important to you, I'd go bob and avoid an aftermarket solution.

Catherine

Annyeb
02-18-2011, 01:11 PM
I have a MBUD and it is really heavy, but a great stroller. I'd be curious to see what year that is. Definitely newer than my 2003 as it looks like the handle bar adjusts. Seems like a really good deal for one in that condition. Can't compare to a BOB though as I've never paid much attention to them.

arivecchi
02-18-2011, 01:13 PM
I agree with Catherine. I do not like those extenders either. I would just use it without a canopy extender. I know some people use parasols on strollers, but a parasol on a Mountain Buggy would be like having Avril Lavigne wear a frilly pink dress......

So yes, if big canopies are important, you should go for a Bob as only the new MBs have the bigger canopies for now.

spring_mommy
02-18-2011, 01:22 PM
Can you tell me why you think the MBUD is a great stroller?

The canopy isn't a huge deal to me. I feel like i know more about the Bob, just not a whole lot about the MBUD. I know it's heavy and that may be a deal breaker for me unless there are way more + to outweigh the -.

arivecchi
02-18-2011, 01:33 PM
Here's why I am a huge MB fan:

1) super tough strollers - can take tons of abuse
2) solid frame
3) adjustable handlebar
4) easy access to basket
5) quite narrow for doubles
6) easier to maneuver than other doubles because of the shorter width and length
7) metal footplate that does not fade or get dirty
8) IMO, more stylish and nicer-looking
9) ease of pushing with older/heavier kids
10) does not list to heavier side

I live in the city so I needed a narrow double to fit in trains, stores, etc. That is not as much of a concern in the burbs.

Bobs have a great push too and are very durable strollers as well though, so it depends on what kind of features/looks you prefer.

spring_mommy
02-18-2011, 01:43 PM
Thanks for the info ♥ Do the seats recline flat? I have a 3 mo old

arivecchi
02-18-2011, 01:57 PM
Yes, they recline flat. I would use a snuzzler with a newborn for a super cushy ride.

http://www.amazon.com/Summer-Infant-Snuzzler-Velboa-Support/dp/B00368CJ16/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1298051892&sr=8-2

Multimama
02-18-2011, 03:15 PM
Honestly, people who are not stroller connoisseurs will not know that the MBUD has now changed to the MB Duo so I would not hold that against the seller.

I personally love the chocolate dot MB and prefer MBs to Bobs in general, so I would be all over that MB listing. It's a good price and it looks like it has not been used much.

But in this case the person is calling it a Duo (the newer version of the stroller) when it is actually an MBUD (the older version). That seems like a marketing ploy (like selling an Aria and calling it a Vela so the person won't find all the negative Aria review). I don't understand how someone can be selling an expensive stroller that they own and not know what it is... So it makes me suspicious.

But I agree that it is beautiful and will definitely be easier to manage than a Bob.

arivecchi
02-18-2011, 04:03 PM
It could be that she is trying to have people compare it to the pricing of the current Duo or she could just be clueless! :tongue5: I know some posters here get them confused.

In any event, OP is now armed with the knowledge that it is not a Duo and can hopefully use that to negotiate a lower price if she decides she wants it! ;)

spring_mommy
02-18-2011, 04:08 PM
I'm certainly not a stroller connoisseur, so i do appreciate all of your help. What do you think would be a good price for it?

spring_mommy
02-18-2011, 04:12 PM
One more thing- i currently have a very old Mac double in a lime green/navy blue plaid. The seats are VERY narrow, which of course in turn makes the stroller narrow but the problem with the seats is that there is a hard plastic frame up the sides of each seat back which makes it so there is no give in the width. My 3yo has to sit at an angle to fit. Anyone familiar with the stroller i'm talking about? Will i have a similar issue in the MBUD?

roseyloxs
02-18-2011, 04:18 PM
I would get the MB for two reasons.
1) I like being different. Everyone owns a BOB so I don't want one.
2) MBs rock.

But in this case the person is calling it a Duo (the newer version of the stroller) when it is actually an MBUD (the older version). That seems like a marketing ploy (like selling an Aria and calling it a Vela so the person won't find all the negative Aria review). I don't understand how someone can be selling an expensive stroller that they own and not know what it is... So it makes me suspicious.

But I agree that it is beautiful and will definitely be easier to manage than a Bob.

I don't mind when people screw up the names because it usually means they are idiots and I can steal their strollers for ridiculous prices. I saw a BOB revo on CL the other day for $90. The people listing it didn't put BOB in the title or description. They did say they had a B O B stroller and it was hardly used since they are grandparents. I was sooooo mad I was not home to scoop that baby up. I emailed every person I knew at home with kids but I don't think any one got to it in time. As I said earlier I have no interest in owning a BOB but for that price I would give it to a pregnant friend.

arivecchi
02-18-2011, 04:28 PM
There have been new 2010 Duos on ebay cheap recently ($425) and Albee has a new 09 MBUD for $499.

http://www.albeebaby.com/mountain-buggy-urban-double-2009-red-dot.html?utm_source=Google_Products&utm_medium=cse&utm_campaign=GoogleProducts

I would say $250-275 would be a good price, although honestly, $299 is reasonable.

salsah
02-19-2011, 02:04 AM
get the mb. bobs are great, but mb's are better (for so many reasons).

i wouldn't worry about the seller getting the name wrong. many people don't have a clue what kind of stroller they have. i have seen many listings for "McLarens" and "Peg Prego" strollers.

nmstrong
02-19-2011, 02:24 AM
I prefer bob over mb. I have owned both the original version made in new Zealand and the newer version. I love the push on both but I prefer the handlebar on the bob, the bob canopies are a bit bigger and the seats are a lot roomier for your kids. It will last longer. My 4 year old doesn't fit in the mb but has room in the bob. I felt like the pushes were very comparable but overall prefer my bob.
Mb double routinely sell for around 100-200 around me.
http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/bab/2167327154.html
And they are really hard to sell too here. I got a navy double in really good shape no fading for super cheap and it took me forever to resell it. On the contrary I used my bob duallie three years then sold it so I could use a p & t (regretted it and rebought after) but sold the bob for 400 with tons of use......in 3 hours! So that's something to think about. Canopies r important to me so I would go with a newer version if u go with mb. Ebay just sold 2 mb duos 2010 version for 349 shipped...so keep your eyes peeled for that..

nmstrong
02-19-2011, 02:26 AM
Someone on swap posted this link
http://newfsinrio.piczo.com/strollers?cr=1&linkvar=000044
Check out her son in the mb compared to the other strollers-scroll way down. The newer seats are not taller.

salsah
02-19-2011, 02:27 AM
Thanks for the info ♥ Do the seats recline flat? I have a 3 mo old

they do on the mbud, not on the bob.

nmstrong
02-19-2011, 05:42 AM
i could also tell a difference (with both the single and double) when going up the side of a trail to a hill near my house, couldn't get over it as easily with the mb. not sure why, maybe because the wheels on the bob are bigger?
16 inches vs 12. my husband and i both noticed a difference. he immediately said when we we pushing it this wouldn't have happened with bob, lol..........he loves bob best too apparently. :)

arivecchi
02-19-2011, 09:57 AM
I have had the opposite experience. My DS fits better in our MBs than Bobs. He is really tall but skinny. My husband likes our MBs because they are so tough.

scriptkitten
02-19-2011, 10:15 AM
for the record, the BOBs are 30.8" wide… i use it in an urban environment and have never had a problem fitting through a door.

the push is amazing on the BOB, but you will get a more compact package with the MB.

the BOB is also solid as an ox. it would survive a doomsday scenario, but the feel of it is very bouncy and springy… i think that is the "solidity" that arrivechi refers to. if you have $150 of groceries hanging off the BOB with "mommy hook carabiners" and you let the kids out of the stroller before removing the groceries, it will tip backwards. that may not be as much of an issue with the MB because its a 4 wheeler and weighted differently.

nmstrong
02-19-2011, 08:43 PM
here are some measurements if that helps:
bob:

seat base to top of seat 21"
seat width 13 1/2" (wowsa!) This was taken at the lowest point on the seat
back
length from back of seat to front of seat (seat bottom) 10"

mb (newer version but i believe old ones are the same)
width of seat: 12 inches
length to top of seat: 20 inches

anyone want to post a seat bottom measurement? I think that was smaller too. but my kids have really long legs...

salsah
02-19-2011, 09:08 PM
it would survive a doomsday scenario,

like a building collapsing? if you haven't heard the "mbud saves a baby's life" story before: a building in new york collapsed and a little baby that was in the building at the time survived because she was sitting in an mbud.
i think there was also a story about a baby in mb getting hit by car and coming out w/o a scratch.

spring_mommy
02-19-2011, 09:12 PM
Wow! I'm in love with this stroller. :love-retry: :yay: The pics in the posting did not do it justice at all. It is in perfect condition. It looks amazing. Seller was nice and we got it for $275 with the raincover and the tire pump.

EDITED to add a HUGE thank you to everyone for your help.

salsah
02-19-2011, 09:13 PM
here are some mbud stats, thank you Strollerqueen:

Stats:

Weight: 38 pds.

Width: 28.5"

Length: 34"

Seat back: 21"

Seat to canopy: 23"

Seat width: 12"

Seat depth: 8"

Drop to footrest: 10.5"

Handle Height: 38"-43"

Folded: 28" x 40" x 12"

Detailed Model Year Changes:

For 2005:
• Height-adjustable handlebar
• Additional seat padding
• Quick Release rear wheels
• Larger basket with additional pockets, drink holder
• Thicker tire treads

For 2006:
• Fabric patterns on seats
• Anodized frame to prevent scratching
• Shock absorbers
• Extra tall canopy now standard, allowing 2" additional head room
• Pockets added to canopy

These are the changes for 2007:

• Steel reinforced adjustable handle bars
• New thicker, beefier tire treads
• Enhanced seats; doubled fabric for additional strength
• Riser and foot plates now have a molded finish
• "Designer, Limited, and Elite" series introduced

Changes for 2008/09

• Flatter recline
• Newborn and toddler position on harness straps •Cup holders standard on all models •Slight changes to fold and brakes to comply with safety standards •Introduction of "Swift" (a smaller "Urban", or swivel wheel "Breeze")

salsah
02-19-2011, 09:27 PM
Here's why I am a huge MB fan:

1) super tough strollers - can take tons of abuse
2) solid frame
3) adjustable handlebar
4) easy access to basket
5) quite narrow for doubles
6) easier to maneuver than other doubles because of the shorter width and length
7) metal footplate that does not fade or get dirty
8) IMO, more stylish and nicer-looking
9) ease of pushing with older/heavier kids
10) does not list to heavier side

I live in the city so I needed a narrow double to fit in trains, stores, etc. That is not as much of a concern in the burbs.

Bobs have a great push too and are very durable strollers as well though, so it depends on what kind of features/looks you prefer.

even in a suburban setting, i prefer narrower strollers. there are are doorways that even my bjcmd couldn't get through but my mbud glides thru all doorways easily. the bob is over 30", just too wide, imo.

salsah
02-19-2011, 09:35 PM
Wow! I'm in love with this stroller. :love-retry: :yay: The pics in the posting did not do it justice at all. It is in perfect condition. It looks amazing. Seller was nice and we got it for $275 with the raincover and the tire pump.

the mbud?

Kaylee31
02-19-2011, 09:39 PM

That's awesome! Sounds like you got a fantastic deal! :thumbsup:
Seems like the MB & the BOB are both great doubles, I don't think you could go wrong with either one. I love the MB/BOB debate, owners of both are so passionate about them! :D

nmstrong
02-19-2011, 10:27 PM
Thanks sq! I should've posed my measurements were from pooh bear (bob) and arivecchi thanks girls.
So that was the huge difference 10 inch on bob seat vs 8 on mb....with long legged kids it makes a difference.

here are some mbud stats, thank you Strollerqueen:

Stats:

Weight: 38 pds.

Width: 28.5"

Length: 34"

Seat back: 21"

Seat to canopy: 23"

Seat width: 12"

Seat depth: 8"

Drop to footrest: 10.5"

Handle Height: 38"-43"

Folded: 28" x 40" x 12"

Detailed Model Year Changes:

For 2005:
• Height-adjustable handlebar
• Quick Release rear wheels
• Larger basket with additional pockets, drink holder
• Thicker tire treads

For 2006:
• Fabric patterns on seats
• Anodized frame to prevent scratching
• Shock absorbers
• Extra tall canopy now standard, allowing 2" additional head room
• Pockets added to canopy

These are the changes for 2007:

• Steel reinforced adjustable handle bars
• New thicker, beefier tire treads
• Enhanced seats; doubled fabric for additional strength
• Riser and foot plates now have a molded finish
• "Designer, Limited, and Elite" series introduced

Changes for 2008/09

• Flatter recline
• Newborn and toddler position on harness straps •Cup holders standard on all models •Slight changes to fold and brakes to comply with safety standards •Introduction of "Swift" (a smaller "Urban", or swivel wheel "Breeze")

nmstrong
02-19-2011, 10:31 PM
They r both amazing strollers. Both Push better than almost every other stroller I have owned...
If u want one that is different than what everyone else has the mb is an awesome choice too....everyone has bobs around here...

spring_mommy
02-19-2011, 11:06 PM
the mbud?

Oops! LOL! In all my excitement i forgot to mention what i got! :) I got the MBUD. Love it! Where can i find out what year it is? Not that it matters really, i'm just curious. I actually don't find it to be that that heavy to lift. Of course i haven't done it over and over yet :)

arivecchi
02-19-2011, 11:52 PM
Congrats! Enjoy your Mountain Buggy!

salsah
02-20-2011, 12:34 AM
Oops! LOL! In all my excitement i forgot to mention what i got! :) I got the MBUD. Love it! Where can i find out what year it is? Not that it matters really, i'm just curious. I actually don't find it to be that that heavy to lift. Of course i haven't done it over and over yet :)

no, it isn't that heavy. don't you love all the pockets on and in the basket?! and that foot plate is so great, easy to clean and makes for a comfy seat for a third rider (w/o compromising the push or steering).

congrats!

and although some don't like the canopy, my girls loved it. they liked that they could see where we were going and they liked that they could see each other. they hated the bj canopies and were always collapsing them if i tried to open them to protect them from the sun. seemed like such a waste to have such good canopies never used. i liked the window in the middle. i could see them both and at the same time. (i could also see who had what first and who took it from who.;))

salsah
02-20-2011, 12:36 AM
oh, sorry. in my excitement to share the mb love, i forgot to answer your question. iirc, the date should be under the foot plate. if it wasn't so cold right now, i would go out and look at mine to check for you. but i'm curled up on the couch under a blanket right now.

oh, did you see the little loop in the basket to store the tire pump?

salsah
02-20-2011, 05:15 PM
sorry, apparently i was wrong. i just went out and looked at mine, but i couldn't find the date! i couldn't look carefully because it is kind of buried. i should be cleaning the garage today so i guess i'll start with digging out the mbud.

spring_mommy
02-21-2011, 08:23 PM
Yeah i didn't see the date either.

I love all the pockets and the basket underneath is great too! I did find the place to put the pump. Great stuff!! :bighand: My 3mo is so cozy in it :sleeping: I love how the sides are enclosed.

I really LOVE this stroller. :love5: It's amazing how great that foot plate is for another rider and it doesn't compromise the steer or push. :29: LOL

Re: the canopy, I know it's smallish, but it doesn't matter to us because our (almost) 2yo doesn't like it out anyway and always pushes it back so i'm glad i didn't make an issue of that.

I could go on and on about the love :) I def made the right choice and i think we got a great deal.

arivecchi
02-21-2011, 08:46 PM
Glad you love it! I would marry my MB Duo if I could! :rotflmao:

spring_mommy
02-25-2011, 12:02 AM
Just when i thought i couldn't love the stroller anymore...it snowed here. I took it out today to watch the older kids sled. Woweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :heartbeat: Baby was so snuggly and content and i was able to push it and pull a sled no problem.

arivecchi
02-25-2011, 01:01 PM
Yeah, MBs can definitely handle snow really well!