PDA

View Full Version : Kissing your babies on the lips question

momm
02-18-2011, 01:26 PM
The other day at a Doc's office I was reading in this magazine about a poll they took about parents kissing babies/ children on their lips.

To be honest, I thought the poll was a little weird. I didn't think it was something to even think about. So thought to ask my intelligent group of friends here what they thought.

Do you/ don't you/ would you/ wouldn't you.. why or why not?

Poll coming up!

ohsara430
02-18-2011, 01:29 PM
No we don't, we won't. My parents didn't and it would be weird for me.

boogiemomz
02-18-2011, 01:31 PM
We do, and don't think anything of it. I don't like it when other people give her kisses on the lips (it's happened!).

Snow mom
02-18-2011, 01:32 PM
My DD kisses on the lips. It's not so much our preference as hers (and somewhat unavoidable with her strong-willed toddler self.) I know it makes DH a bit uncomfortable. I don't know how this will change as she gets older.

cindys
02-18-2011, 01:33 PM
We do..I dont see anything wierd about it...Of course, we dont with the 19yr old but with the babies we do.

Cindy
Mama to 3 boys...19, 4 & 2 :heartbeat::heartbeat::heartbeat:

sariana
02-18-2011, 01:34 PM
My dad kissed me on the lips until I was a teenager and started to turn away.

DH and I do not kiss our DC on the lips. We do not think it is appropriate.

I realize it is common in some cultures to kiss on the lips casually, but it just doesn't feel right to me, personally.

indigo99
02-18-2011, 01:35 PM
No, and I know it's a different topic, but we don't let him eat/drink after us either.

mommylamb
02-18-2011, 01:39 PM
No problem with a kiss on the lips here. DS will often come and kiss me on the lips. I usually kiss his head or his cheek, but I see nothing wrong with a peck on the lips. I wouldn't do that with a teenage son, but this doesn't bother me. My parents did it when I was a kid too.

lhafer
02-18-2011, 01:40 PM
The other day at a Doc's office I was reading in this magazine about a poll they took about parents kissing babies/ children on their lips.

To be honest, I thought the poll was a little weird. I didn't think it was something to even think about. So thought to ask my intelligent group of friends here what they thought.

Do you/ don't you/ would you/ wouldn't you.. why or why not?

Poll coming up!

We do, and haven't ever really thought about it. It always a quick peck.

What were the results of the poll you read in the article?

SnuggleBuggles
02-18-2011, 01:41 PM
Yep, a quick peck. I grew up with it and it's just normal to me. We also share food and drinks.

Beth

JBaxter
02-18-2011, 01:44 PM
Yes I kiss by little boys on the lips my teens do cheek kisses.

vonfirmath
02-18-2011, 01:45 PM
We don't kiss on the lips. We plan to teach our kids that kissing on the lips is only for serious relationships -- ones that could turn into marriage. It is something special and to be saved.

sarahsthreads
02-18-2011, 01:53 PM
We never did with DD1, but DD2 kisses us on the lips, so...we just go with it. It's actually pretty cute - I'll ask her "where's my kiss?" and she'll say "there!" and point to my lips. And then I say "can I have one?" and she'll peck a kiss on my lips. I don't expect it to last much past the toddler/preschool age, but I don't think it's a big deal, either. Except that it's cute. :)

She doesn't do it with anyone but me or DH, or I would probably try to steer her away from it.

Sarah :)

elektra
02-18-2011, 01:54 PM
We don't really kiss the kids on the lips although sometimes, especially DS, will plant one on us sort of by accident and it's no biggie.

citymama
02-18-2011, 01:56 PM
We don't, but there's no particular reason, I just didn't grow up with parents kissing kids on the lips. I see other families do it do it and I think its sweet.

arivecchi
02-18-2011, 02:01 PM
I kiss both of my boys on the lips every now and then. DH does not.

SpaceGal
02-18-2011, 02:04 PM
A quick kiss on the lips between us and the kids. I'm sure as the kids get older it's will just be on the cheeks or the forehead. I don't really like it when someone else kisses my kids on the lips. There's one little boy that insists on kissing DD on the lips when he sees her and though he's a good friend's son I just can't stand it. It's too weird and I think a bit inappropriate.

Canna
02-18-2011, 02:04 PM
We don't. It doesn't feel right to me. My parents didn't when I was little, either.

Tondi G
02-18-2011, 02:05 PM
Yep, a quick peck (usually followed by a hug). I grew up with it and it's just normal to me. I've been known to kiss my boys on their foreheads too! We also share food and drinks.

rin
02-18-2011, 02:06 PM
We don't kiss on the lips: my parent never did when my siblings and I were young, and it would just feel weird to me. I don't think there's anything wrong with it when I see other families who do it, but I would feel strange doing it myself. We do share food and drink, although I'm not sure I see that as being related.

daisymommy
02-18-2011, 02:07 PM
I always have, when I'm just doing little silly mommy kisses on his cheeks, head, etc. then usually a little peck on the lips too. My babies would always giggle and it was cute.

I stopped when they were passed the toddler stage. Except for my DD (3.5 yrs.) who still insists on giving DH and I a kiss on the lips and a hug, and gets her feelings hurt if you offer your cheek.

momm
02-18-2011, 02:14 PM
What were the results of the poll you read in the article?

I think it was a little more than 80%, do.

ijopint
02-18-2011, 02:22 PM
we do kiss on the lips. Sometimes for fun I would request a 10-long second kiss from my DS ( 4year)(I know it's weird for some people) but for us it's just normal kissing on the lips maybe b/c they just little ...dunno yet how we feel 15 years from now when they become teenagers.

khalloc
02-18-2011, 02:22 PM
I kiss my kids on the lips ALL the time. I love kissing them. I cant help it, they are so cute. My parents kissed me on the lips I think.

I'd stop it if they ask me to. Probably will anyways once they get older. But now I will do it as much as I can since they are only little once.

We share cups, etc...I am not a germophobe

KHF
02-18-2011, 02:28 PM
I kiss the kids on the lips occasionally...DH usually does cheeks or foreheads. The only person that ever kissed me on the lips was my grandmother. I didn't set out to kiss on the lips, but DD preferred it when she was little, so it's stayed in the repertoire :)

pinkmomagain
02-18-2011, 02:55 PM
With our 5yo - yes. As the older ones got older, it just sort of naturally stopped at a certain age. I have no problem with it.

Dream
02-18-2011, 03:04 PM
No we don't, we won't. My parents didn't and it would be weird for me.

:yeahthat:

bigpassport
02-18-2011, 03:06 PM
Yes! It's one of the sweetest moments of my day. I do acknowledge there are downsides, but I love it so I'm gonna keep doing it:love-retry:

JoyNChrist
02-18-2011, 03:19 PM
Yep, we do. I figure it'll stop at some point when they're older...although now that I think about it, my mom will still sometimes give me a quick peck on the lips.

It's very much the norm in my family.

katydid1971
02-18-2011, 03:21 PM
I kiss my kids on the lips and I still kiss my parents on the lips (quick pecks)

tarahsolazy
02-18-2011, 03:26 PM
I do, I'm not sure if DH does or not, probably not. In my family of origin, its not a big deal. I still kiss my parents on the lips, just a quick peck with a hug as a greeting or farewell. Since its always been that way, it doesn't seem weird to me at all. If that wasn't my norm growing up, I can see how it would be weird.

twowhat?
02-18-2011, 03:26 PM
Yes to quick pecks on the lips here. I don't see it continuing as they get older, but for babies/toddlers I don't see anything weird about it. I usually give kisses on cheeks or foreheads, but we do often get requests for kisses on the lips, and I think it's sweet and cute so I do it!

eta: this has nothing to do with my upbringing because I have never witnessed my parents kiss. Not once!

Pennylane
02-18-2011, 03:40 PM
We don't. It doesn't feel right to me. My parents didn't when I was little, either.

Ann

s7714
02-18-2011, 03:45 PM

Was it the one with the picture of Stephani Seymour kissing her teenage son on the beach? Just asking because I saw that in one of my magazines just the other day and it had a similar poll.

LMPC
02-18-2011, 04:06 PM
We do, and I don't think there's anything weird about it. My parents kissed us on the lips...and I think this is just a family culture thing. No right or wrong answer.

turtledove
02-18-2011, 04:13 PM
I do, but DH doesn't. I grew up with it, and he didn't...he will still give me slightly sideways looks when I do. I know it kind of wierds him out, but I figure it is just one of those things!

♥ms.pacman♥
02-18-2011, 05:11 PM

randomkid
02-18-2011, 05:24 PM
I voted "other". DH and I both used to give DD kisses on the lips on occasion, but now that she is older, she doesn't want kisses on the lips. Fine by me. I'm all about whatever she is comfortable with. I think she stopped doing it because she went through a couple of illnesses one after the other. When she is sick, I don't kiss her on the lips. After her being sick for a couple of weeks, she just kind of stopped doing it. I would never allow someone else to kiss her on the lips. For that matter, I don't think she would allow it either!

PGTB
02-18-2011, 06:06 PM
DS is 10 months old, so he is eating my face at this point, :rotflmao: But sometimes it happens his little mouth ends up on my lips. it feels awesome to get a kiss from a cuddly baby! I don't know though if I would feel ok about it with the older child, especially a teenager though.. that would be awkward.

bostonsmama
02-18-2011, 06:21 PM
DD's still a newborn, so we don't really kiss her on the lips b/c we're worried about transmitting germs, although we have with no qualms. We do get a kick out of her trying to latch onto our lips as if she's nursing. It doesn't really bother me, but I can see letting her take the lead on it as she gets older. I do remember a distinct age I thought it was weird to kiss my mom on the lips (8-ish?) and my dad a bit later.

Fairy
02-18-2011, 06:41 PM
Yes, we both give kisses to DS and he to us on the lips. Normal routine stuff here.

artvandalay
02-18-2011, 06:47 PM
OK, I don't kiss my kids on the lips, but I think I have different reasons. I'm always paranoid we are all going to spread around colds to each other. It seems like ever since DS1 started Kindergarten, he is always bringing home some sort of cold or illness or something.

We just kiss the kids on cheek/top of head, nose etc. Believe me, they do not suffer from lack of kisses... I think my boys think we kiss them too much!

Nooknookmom
02-18-2011, 08:20 PM
Of course, smooch away!!!!!

mom2binsd
02-18-2011, 08:28 PM
How fascinating to read the responses..

We do lip kisses and cheek kisses, toe kisses, and tummy kisses. At night both DC love their night night kisses on the lips. On occasion DS will specifiy "wip kisses", it was so cute before he could say his 'l' sound!

maybeebaby08
02-18-2011, 09:49 PM
DD kisses us on the lips, and it doesn't bother me, I don't think it will last past toddler age. I'm trying to teach her to kiss on the cheek but she's just starting to get it. MIL kisses DD on lips and it drives me nuts, she also puts food in her mouth for DD to eat., so gross!

Jo..
02-18-2011, 10:09 PM
Dh and I do and don't think twice. If anyone else did, I'd freak out.

elephantmeg
02-18-2011, 10:14 PM
no, my parents didn't and mom's dad did (who always smelled like cough drops and breathing treatments). blech. The only person who gets lip kissing is DH

chays
02-18-2011, 10:16 PM
I do with all 3 kids, DH will not. As they get older, it will turn into cheek/head kisses, but for now I take what I can get.

firemama
02-18-2011, 10:40 PM
I give our DD kisses all over (probably way too much, but I can't resist), and sometimes on the lips. And I will continue through the toddler years, but after that probably not. DH gives her kisses and says ewww if she turns her head and it lands on her lips. I haven't asked him if he is kidding or serious. (totally different topic, but it is hard for me to tell if he is joking around or serious, and it drives me absolutely insane).

I honestly don't remember if my parents kissed us on the lips growing up. But I specifically remember a family friend 'uncle' doing it and being a teenager and starting to turn my head when he did. (and for some odd reason, when I was in my late teens/early 20s, my mom would try to kiss me on the lips. I would turn my head, and I eventually told her that I won't kiss her on the lips, just doesn't feel right). Personally, too weird for me unless it's my DH, but I don't care if other people do it. To each their own!

So if other family members or friends try to kiss DD on the lips, I would freak. Not sure how I will handle that...

On the other topic that sort of popped up here, I will not be sharing my food, fork or cup with DD. Not because of a germaphobe reason. I read that if you share utensils or cups with your DC that you can actually transfer plaque/cavities, even if they don't have teeth yet. (the article mentioned you shouldn't lick their binky, if it fell on the floor, and give it to them). This makes a lot of sense and I asked my dental hygenist and she said it is true. If I can spare her unnecessary cavities, I will!

mariza
02-19-2011, 12:50 AM
DD offes her head when asked for a kiss so with her, no. I get to kiss her head or cheek. I'm not sure if it's part of her sensory issues or not, but shes just never been much for kissing or hugging. DS on the other hand is a lip kissing and hugging fool. He even made up his own word for a hug-kiss combo. He'll say Mamma, I wanna give you a Hoopla and then I get a big bear hug and a wet smoochy lip kiss :love5:

salsah
02-19-2011, 01:46 AM
we don't and neither of parents did with us. i don't have a logical reason not to do it, but because i'm not used to seeing it (and didn't do it with my parents), it never crossed my mind to do it and i feel weird about it when i see others doing it (especially after a certain age). dd1 never cared, but dd2 is fascinated by the fact that dh and i kiss each other on the lips.

Kitten007
02-19-2011, 01:53 AM
Yep, a quick peck. I grew up with it and it's just normal to me. We also share food and drinks.

Beth

:yeahthat: I love getting my little peck kisses. Once the boys grow older, I know I will never ever experience it again. Makes me sad...:sulkoff: Why can't they stay little a little bit longer?

LexyLou
02-19-2011, 02:01 AM
Yup, both my DH and I kiss both girls on the lips. DH grew up in a home with no kissing on the lips but in my house we kissed on he lips until I decided I was too big for it.

Honestly, I love kissing my kids. I mean, it's just soft little pecks, but it's special to me. I love when my 3 year old grabs my cheeks, looks me in the eye, and says, I love you mommy, and gives me a big kiss!:love5:

deborah_r
02-19-2011, 02:05 AM
My 3 year old has started "wiping off" my kisses and I actually feel like I'm going to cry when he does that. I know he's just being silly, in a phase, maybe saw someone at school do it, but it makes me sad anyway.

To answer the question, we do not have a "no lip kissing" policy. Kisses land where they land.