PDA

View Full Version : CNN reporter helps wife deliver baby in unplanned home birth

SnuggleBuggles
02-18-2011, 02:30 PM
I teared up at one part of the story. :)
http://www.cnn.com/2011/HEALTH/02/18/delivering.baby.levs/index.html?hpt=C1

Beth

MoJo
02-18-2011, 02:35 PM
Needed that this afternoon. Thanks for sharing, SnuggleBuggles!

MamaMolly
02-18-2011, 02:37 PM
Lovely story! Thanks for sharing.

billysmommy
02-18-2011, 02:40 PM
What a great story!! Thanks for sharing :)

fumofu
02-18-2011, 02:45 PM
Pass the tissues! Thank you for sharing. :)

american_mama
02-18-2011, 03:12 PM
Huh, I have mixed feelings about that article. It built nicely, and I loved his commentary at the end about his feelings about life, connection to his son, respect for women and thought it was unique and thoughtful for him to also give kudos to the ob's who handle this all the time, be it a dramatic birth or an ordinary one.

But, I could do without the emergency tone to the whole thing. I have read many birth stories from people - scratch that, written by women, which might be the key difference - who had unexpected homebirths and they are rarely as panicked or emergency-oriented as this dad. Maybe it's that a mom in the throes of fast labor isn't thinking about everything that a dad is in that situation, even in retrospect. Or it might be that a mom is more physically connected to what's happening, so isn't as shocked or scared by it.

And as for the cord around the neck - I think this is pretty common and while it can be an emergency, I think it usually takes a second or two to un-loop the cord and you move on.

I did love his awe for his wife at the end, but until then, he was pretty me-focussed through the whole story. Show me a birth, even this one, that is all about the dad. Please.

JoyNChrist
02-18-2011, 03:15 PM
Our governor (then representative) did the same thing a few years ago: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14374539/ns/us_news-life/

I thought it was cool, except for the part where he tied the umbilical cord with a shoestring. Really Jindal? ;)

Ceepa
02-18-2011, 03:30 PM
I liked reading about the birth more than I liked him being interviewed in the clip. Something about the way he spoke bugged me.

larig
02-18-2011, 03:52 PM
This was so great! Thanks for sharing.

ETA: SIL had to have a c-section because of a complicated umbilical cord problem.

citymama
02-18-2011, 04:14 PM
OK, I was literally sobbing with this story. Especially the "breathe, baby, breathe." Must be all the nursing hormones.

My cousin had her second baby at home by unplanned home birth when she was ALONE. The first labor had been 40+ hours and she never imagined the second would go so quickly. Then 5 years later she was with her sister when she started to go into labor with her third, and helped deliver her niece at home, also unplanned! All went well with both babies and mamas.