PDA

View Full Version : Do you sweep or vacuum your kitchen daily?

BeachBum
02-18-2011, 04:30 PM
Title pretty much says it all. I'm just curious....and shocked ours gets so gross. Poll coming.

SnuggleBuggles
02-18-2011, 04:31 PM
Ha! How's that for an answer? :)

It gets swept a few times/ week but really only when it bugs me so the schedule varies.

Beth

happymomma
02-18-2011, 04:32 PM
I try to sweep every day. It's disgusting how much stuff falls on the floor. It's not that hard to do since we have hardwood floors.

3isthelimit
02-18-2011, 04:33 PM
I use the swiffer vac what seems like constantly.
I've gone through a couple...and I still need a new one as I type. I have a dirt devil vacuum broom but it is so heavy I never use it.

Indianamom2
02-18-2011, 04:34 PM
I usually vacuum about 3 times a week. The dust seems to build up so fast on the hard tile, plus there is a large area rug in the kitchen and with three pets that shed....

Well, 3 times is necessary...sometimes more.

JoyNChrist
02-18-2011, 04:34 PM
Hahahahahahahahahahaha!

No. ;)

mikala
02-18-2011, 04:35 PM
Before this (http://www.target.com/Eureka-Electrolux-ErgoRapido/dp/B002IAY3N0), not often enough. Now that we have it, probably every other day and I'm always mortified by how much it picks up.

citymama
02-18-2011, 04:38 PM
I voted No, but I should. We probably run a broom over some part of the floor every day, but that's usually to get the Cheerios out from under the high chair. We SHOULD be sweeping up the whole darn kitchen which gets very dirty.

Before this (http://www.target.com/Eureka-Electrolux-ErgoRapido/dp/B002IAY3N0), not often enough. Now that we have it, probably every other day and I'm always mortified by how much it picks up.

Tell me about the Electrolux vac - we need a vac desperately! Is that your primary vaccum or do you use another for the rest of the house?

Puddy73
02-18-2011, 04:39 PM
I am NOT a terrific housekeeper but a dirty kitchen floor is one of the few things that I cannot stand. Our kitchen has light colored flooring and is very high traffic. I sweep it at least once a day, often more. The playroom floor is a dark color and hides the filth so it only gets swept about twice a week.

JBaxter
02-18-2011, 04:42 PM
visible dirt or if my feet stick or every couple days what ever occurs first

gobadgers
02-18-2011, 04:45 PM
We have the dog, who helps clean the floor (and occasionally the counters if we leave a chair out, whoops).

I voted "No, but I should". I probably bust out the dustbuster every other day or so, but by the time I do there is visible *stuff* in the corners. We have a housekeeper who mops every other week, and I use a wet mop once or maybe twice in between her visits.

SpaceGal
02-18-2011, 04:45 PM
I use my ErgoRapido everyday! Sometimes I think I need to use it after ever meal. What I probably need to do more of is mopping. :)

wimama
02-18-2011, 04:46 PM
Hahahahahahahahahahaha!

No. ;)

This should have been a poll option. Ours gets swept when dirty. One thorough cleaning (vacuum/mop) per week and then here and there, where it needs it and when we see fit. Around the table where DS sits, gets touched up the most;).

mikala
02-18-2011, 04:47 PM
Tell me about the Electrolux vac - we need a vac desperately! Is that your primary vaccum or do you use another for the rest of the house?

It's definitely a secondary vacuum and I still use a normal corded one for carpeted areas. We use this for tile, hardwood and area rugs. We've only had it a few months so I can't speak to battery life long term but it works really well now. It picks up Cheerios and other debris. I learned about it here and there are several recs for it in other threads.

Melaine
02-18-2011, 04:47 PM
Ummm...no. The dog gets most of it before it hits the floor, though.

Babymakes3
02-18-2011, 04:48 PM
I didn't used to have to but now I do it daily. Actually I do the family room, kitchen, 1/2 bath, hall and entry daily. Between shoes (which only get worn on the tile), cat litter and ds's inevitable crumbs the floors take a beating and I can't stand stuff sticking to my feet!

edurnemk
02-18-2011, 04:53 PM
The housecleaner sweeps and mops 3 times a week. The other days, I use my Electrolux Ergorapido :heartbeat: for quick cleanups.

amm40
02-18-2011, 05:04 PM
visible dirt or if my feet stick or every couple days what ever occurs first

Pretty much this, or whenever I realize I'm wearing socks so crumbs don't stick to my feet...

bubbaray
02-18-2011, 05:15 PM
I voted no, but maybe I should change my vote.

There is never food or even remotely edible items on our floor. That is the dog's job.

In fact, if I could train the dog to eat his own shed hair and the mud he tracks in, as well as random bits of Playdough, I don't think I'd ever need to vacuum. I could even hire him out as a cute Roomba.

♥ms.pacman♥
02-18-2011, 05:19 PM
we sweep our kitchen floor every single day, and all three of us (me, DH, DS) are at home all day (DH works from home). it's mainly bc DS (who eats 4 solid meals a day in his high chair) is a messy eater, and there are crumbs, spoons, puffs, goldfish, whatnot constantly being dumped on the floor. it can get rpetty nasty (like wherever you step you crush a cheerio or cracker or something), so every night DH sweeps it up (i cant' really bend down at this point, so DH has taken over this chore :)). it's far from clean though, as come breakfast time and the floor is littered with food again.

prior to this age, say before DS was 9mos or so, we didn't sweep *nearly* as often bc there was not as much need.

elephantmeg
02-18-2011, 06:56 PM
no, once or twice a week I do have a dog so she catches food spills. The kids are out of the house during the week days, I'm home mostly (sleeping-work nights) but I'm neater than they are!

sarahsthreads
02-18-2011, 07:19 PM
I voted no, but maybe I should change my vote.

There is never food or even remotely edible items on our floor. That is the dog's job.

In fact, if I could train the dog to eat his own shed hair and the mud he tracks in, as well as random bits of Playdough, I don't think I'd ever need to vacuum. I could even hire him out as a cute Roomba.

:yeahthat:

Heck no, that's what the dogs are for! They have to earn their keep somehow!

The only reason I really ever need to vacuum is because they shed. And for some reason, my black lab mix has decided to molt these past few weeks, so there are dog fur dust bunnies rolling around the house despite an increase in my vacuuming efforts...

Sarah :)

lchang25000
02-18-2011, 07:40 PM
I vacuum our main level (all wooden floors), which includes the kitchen, almost everyday with our Dyson. I can't stand crumbs and stuff on the ground.

Puddy73
02-18-2011, 07:53 PM
Ummm...no. The dog gets most of it before it hits the floor, though.

Yet another reason why I dearly miss our sweet lab mix. She not only kept the floor spotless, she also licked all the crannies of the high chair.

hillview
02-18-2011, 08:02 PM
I said every day/mostly home. I do it almost every day. The kids are at school 8-1 and 8-3 but the dining room floor is a wreck after almost every meal so it needs to be swept nearly every day (well should be every day but sometimes I skip a day).
/hillary

Nooknookmom
02-18-2011, 08:19 PM
With two German Shepherds, I have no choice but to vacuum once or twice daily. If not, I end up with little German Shepherds floating by!!!

Uh, it drives me nuts, somehow though, I keep bringing them home!

HIU8
02-18-2011, 08:30 PM
I vaaccum after every meal (esp dinner). I wash the floor every third day or so. Our kitchen floor extends in the the foyer and down into the family room as a path to the garage and laundry room. I sweep all that daily and wash all of it every other day. BUT, we use our garage as the point of entry into the house rather than the front door (for us, not for guests).

ijopint
02-18-2011, 08:41 PM
YES! even if I have to stay up late..cleaning the floors- the kitchen (tiles) then the living room/dining(hardwood) then mopped all the rooms. It is tedious to do it but I have to b/c DD is already on the crawling stage and I do not want her to pick (dirt particles from shoes or anything dirty ) on the floor. I usually do it when DH,DSand DD are all in the basement. I prefer doing it when they all asleep it is like therapy for me .. being alone.. quite time.

mommylamb
02-18-2011, 09:08 PM
um, definitely not. We are gone all day, but even if we were here, I don't think we'd do it every day.

LMPC
02-18-2011, 09:38 PM
Either DH or I sweeps and/or Sharks the kitchen and eating areas as part of dinner clean up every night. We have hardwood in both areas and it shows crumbs and dirt like crazy!

Twoboos
02-18-2011, 09:39 PM
Ha! How's that for an answer? :)

It gets swept a few times/ week but really only when it bugs me so the schedule varies.

Beth

:yeahthat: Once I start noticing stuff, it must be done. I have the ErgoRapido stick vac now, and I love that thing!! :)

Jo..
02-18-2011, 09:55 PM
I have dogs. Thanks to them I only have to do it every 3 days.:bighand:

ilfaith
02-18-2011, 11:14 PM
I think I need to get a dog. I don't sweep/vacuum the entire kitchen daily, but I do sweep under DS3's high chair at least once a day...he's a messy eater to begin with and then signals that he is done by throwing food on the floor.

bigpassport
02-19-2011, 12:27 AM
No. Before DS started throwing and dropping food on the floor, I pretty mich relied on the cleaning lady do it every other week. But I got a Bissell stick-vac on Black Friday for $8 (yay!) and now I vacuum up crumbs frequently but not daily.

salsah
02-19-2011, 01:50 AM
i have to. dh and the kids are messy and can't stand crumbs all over the floor. sometimes i do it more than once per day, sometimes i skip a day (more likely because i'm burnt out than because it doesn't need to be done).

blue
02-19-2011, 01:52 AM
I voted Yes, but ONLY because ds is into house hold cleaning right now. Daily he goes to the kitchen closet, gets both our brooms out and wants to sweep with me. When this phase is over, I will go back to every other day.

LexyLou
02-19-2011, 02:10 AM
I voted, yes, and we are mostly home but it's kind of 50/50. During the week we are usually out of the house from 8:30-1:30 or later, but the kitchen needs to be vacuumed daily. I use the dirt devil cordless vac every day and pull out the dyson twice a week.

kozachka
02-19-2011, 03:01 AM
One thorough cleaning (vacuum/mop) per week and then here and there, where it needs it and when we see fit.

:yeahthat: That's our situation. It's not bad when DH is out of town and we are gone all day. I think the other factor that influences how often I clean the kitchen floor is my child's age. He is 7 years old, so does not produce as much mess as a younger child. I had to clean much more often when he started crawling.

american_mama
02-19-2011, 03:06 AM
I did not grow up in a very tidy household, and I don't think I knew until my mid20's that some people - many?- swept their kitchen every day. We do not, although it does get swept a great deal by my standards, somewhere between 1-3 times a week. But still not often enough.

If we have saltines or certain other crumb-making snacks, it sometimes gets swept multiple times a day, and still is crumby.

WatchingThemGrow
02-19-2011, 07:42 AM
Debris from 3 toddler/preschool aged folks eating 3 meals and 2 snacks/day dictates that something must be done to keep the rats away. I vacuum every other day and DH sweeps under the table after dinner.

carolinamama
02-19-2011, 09:19 AM
I'm buying an Ergo Rapido today. I've looked at it at Target but never pulled the trigger. I am so tired of dragging out my Dyson that I don't even think does a very good job on our hardwood floors.

As for sweeping, we do it a few times a week. Our dog helps with crumbs but he also drags in mulch and dirt on his paws along with the kids. Should sweep more often, but our floors are wood and hide alot of the stuff. I think my DH would think he came home to the wrong house if I started sweeping every day. :p

hellokitty
02-19-2011, 09:56 AM
Actually, other. Regardless of whether or not we are home all day or gone, b/c of DS3, it looks like a food bomb went off after he eats. We pretty much HAVE to sweep.

sewarsh
02-19-2011, 10:03 AM
Does a black lab count as a vacuum cleaner? :rotflmao:
If so, we vacuum ours a couple times a day.
If not, probably only a couple times a week....

ETA: Just started reading some other posts and see I'm not the only one who mentioned a dog!!!
Funny!