PDA

View Full Version : Time for exercise stroller, what should I do?

PGTB
02-18-2011, 05:34 PM
Spring is almost here and soon DS will be 1 year old!!! Hurray! I cannot wait to be able to jog with him or bike with him, in other words go further distance in shorter time and see more things on our outings :bouncy:

Currently, I have Bugaboo Cam and Bee+ and I am very happy with my strollers. They work awesome for us and I use them both. But, they are not exercise strollers and I am really looking forward to use some of the time outside with DS to lose some weight too.

Here is the problem, I have no space for another stroller, unless I pack the Bugaboo Cam into its travel bag and put into my external storage or sell it. :gloomy: Basically, I only can have one big stroller in my apartment. The Bee fits in the closet, so no issue, but the Cam would have to go…The contending exercise stroller would have to take its place as our main city stroller too, not just be used for jogging.

I could buy an AT stroller that can be used for jogging like Bob. I've been very interested in trying to take advantage of the sales on the old model, so I don't want that opportunity to go by while the supplies last. The problem is of course, I would lose the parent facing feature I love so much with the Cam. I still have my Bee in case I need it, except taking it in and out of the closet every day would be a huge PITA and I have no space to keep it in my living room.

My dream exercise stroller (well, it's a trike really) is a Taga. I've been dreaming about this since I saw it on this forum! I cannot ride a regular bike, so this trike is my dream come true and it can carry 2 kids, plus convert into a stroller when you need to go to areas where bikes are not allowed. It could be our city car for real! The price is pretty high on it, but worth it for us not having a car, plus it's a trike and they are generally more expensive. The problem is that this contraption is a real beast. It is awesome and compact for a trike with the baby seat, but as a stroller, it has a footprint of a Bob Dualie or larger! It is wide at 29 inches and very long and I am not sure it is practical to use as a stroller. It won't take more space than any other SBS duo stroller out there, so ok for the sidewalks, but I would never want to go inside the store with it. Another reason I am hesitating is that I don't really want to attract attention on city streets, but with that thing it's probably going to be hard to avoid.

So, what should I do? I am finding it very very hard to part with Cam..:cryng:

Here are my options:

1) Keep the Cam and do powerwalking with it to lose weight. This won't take us further distances in the city, which is what I really want to do as we still would have to walk.

2) Buy an AT stroller like Bob or MB and use it for jogging. This will take me further distances, but I still will be more tired going too far without a bike. I also would have to sacrifice parent facing feature.

3) Go for the Taga. This will allow me to bike all over the city and enjoy going to places not accessible on foot easily. It would be more like having a personal vehicle. The downside is its huge size and hefty weight, I am worried that I won't be able to use this as a stroller and also, it would take more space in our living room than a regular stroller and would require some creative furniture rearrangement.

What would you stroller experts recommend?

elektra
02-18-2011, 05:44 PM
I have a friend who rented the Taga and now she is obsessed! She thought it was awesome and in concept I think it seems great too. I guess they had them at some bike shop that you could rent for a day.
I might try renting one too if you can find a place that does that, to see if that's really what you want. I think I would be a little freaked about riding that around the city though.

brgnmom
02-18-2011, 05:56 PM
I'm in a similar situation (except my bugaboo cam is at my parents' home b/c we currently don't have the space & I don't have a bugaboo bee), and I've decided to keep my bugaboo cam, buy the plum-colored canvas fabric set in the spring/summer & pick up the bugaboo cam after we move to a larger place in a few months. I think I'd miss the parent-facing feature of the bugaboo cam to switch to the bob or another jogging stroller, and I'm not an avid runner & so in the long run, it doesn't make sense for me personally to switch. But it seems like you enjoy jogging, so the '10 bob revolution stroller which is a great deal right now may work better for you! I don't know anything about the taga stroller, so I can't comment about that. ;)

AnnieW625
02-18-2011, 05:56 PM
What about buying a bike seat for the baby like the Co Pilot limo (http://www.amazon.com/CoPilot-Limo-Bicycle-Child-Seat/dp/B000G1YO2I) esp. if you already have a bike and you don't want to get rid of a stroller?

I do seriously love my Bob Revolution and perfer the old styling so I would definitely take part in those deals going on. I am by no means a great jogger, but the push on that stroller is amazing and I haven't found anything like it.

tmahanes
02-18-2011, 06:05 PM
I don't have any advice.... just wanted to say that is sooooooo cool!

Sent from my Ally using Tapatalk

PGTB
02-18-2011, 06:11 PM
What about buying a bike seat for the baby like the Co Pilot limo (http://www.amazon.com/CoPilot-Limo-Bicycle-Child-Seat/dp/B000G1YO2I) esp. if you already have a bike and you don't want to get rid of a stroller?

I can't ride a bike :shy: :duck:

berlinsoul
02-18-2011, 06:12 PM
You could get a bike trailer with the 3rd front wheel option. Therewith you can jog or you can bike or you can just use it for neighborhood walks. A lot of people use it as a stroller in my area.
I think BJ offers one, there is the joovy cocoon or chariot ...

The Taga indeed looks very special, I can see why you are afraid of everybodies attention ;) - does it have a parent facing option?

berlinsoul
02-18-2011, 06:28 PM
I can't ride a bike :shy: :duck:

I'm SORRY. I overread this.
Forget my post.

berlinsoul
02-18-2011, 06:30 PM
sorry again for my English.

did not read carefully... (overread seems to be NO word)

roseyloxs
02-18-2011, 08:56 PM
I can't ride a bike :shy:

Are there medical reasons or could you possibly learn? Maybe your husband can teach you?

I think it sounds like you love your current line-up so I think I would just stick with it. Would a stroller hook like this (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003OE2KOS/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B003OE6A8K&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1ZB22XVG0TJ9DC60XP62) make your life easier?
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31aRxHxTX%2BL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41VZ6rMNqhL._AA300_.jpg

If you are up for learning to ride a bike I would check out this bike seat (http://www.ratedbymom.com/2011/02/a-new-view-on-bike-riding-with-tots/). We use it and LOVE it.

roseyloxs
02-18-2011, 09:03 PM
sorry again for my English.

did not read carefully... (overread seems to be NO word)

No worries. English is my first and only language and I didn't even notice that over-read wasn't a word.

Kaylee31
02-19-2011, 03:12 PM
If you are up for learning to ride a bike I would check out this bike seat (http://www.ratedbymom.com/2011/02/a-new-view-on-bike-riding-with-tots/). We use it and LOVE it.

Happy to hear you like the Ibert so much. I bought it on sale last summer and have yet to even take it out of the box yet. :bag I still need to get a bike to put it on! I'm looking forward to using it this spring & summer. I think DS was still too small for it last year anyway.

Anyway, I agree with PP about trying to rent a Taga. It seems like a huge investment w/out trying it out first. I think they look so cool though. I considered getting an adult trike like this http://www.walmart.com/ip/Schwinn-Meridian-3-Wheeled-Adult-Trike-Dark-Cherry/12016722?sourceid=1500000000000003260420&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=12016722
with the Ibert seat in front, as a much cheaper alternative.

Multimama
02-19-2011, 03:26 PM
I agree on renting a Taga before buying one, especially if you don't ride a bike you may also just find you don't enjoy the sport as much as you thought you would.

I would also go to a good bike shop and talk to them about other tricycle-type options for adults. You might find something else that's less expensive and still meets your needs.

Finally, I agree that it is never too late to learn to ride a bike, but I wouldn't feel comfortable riding a bike with a young child unless I was an experienced rider. Just my two cents.

ETA: Power walking can burn a lot of calories too, if you just want to keep your cam. :) Exercise isn't all about distance, it can also be about time spent.

roseyloxs
02-19-2011, 05:47 PM
Happy to hear you like the Ibert so much. I bought it on sale last summer and have yet to even take it out of the box yet. :bag I still need to get a bike to put it on! I'm looking forward to using it this spring & summer. I think DS was still too small for it last year anyway.

Anyway, I agree with PP about trying to rent a Taga. It seems like a huge investment w/out trying it out first. I think they look so cool though. I considered getting an adult trike like this http://www.walmart.com/ip/Schwinn-Meridian-3-Wheeled-Adult-Trike-Dark-Cherry/12016722?sourceid=1500000000000003260420&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=12016722
with the Ibert seat in front, as a much cheaper alternative.

didn't even realized they made such a thing. So cool and that basket looks HUGE! Would be perfect for grocery shopping.

Smillow
02-19-2011, 08:11 PM
didn't even realized they made such a thing. So cool and that basket looks HUGE! Would be perfect for grocery shopping.

You obviously didn't grow up in Florida! I think they issued them to old folks with their first SS checks back in the 70's & 80's!

hellokitty
02-19-2011, 09:17 PM
OP, I may have missed it, but are you an experienced runner? If not, I would just keep your current line up and power walk. As you get better and feel like you need more of a challenge, THEN I would consider getting a stroller more appropriate for running. However, I would just start with power walking first and before getting a stroller for jogging if you don't already have experiencing jogging.

PGTB
02-19-2011, 09:33 PM
Thank you all for your great suggestions!

This made me think about other options, like maybe getting an adult trike and a bike child seat that goes on the front :)

Actually, I used to own an adult trike, not a fancy one, only one gear, but with the huge basket similar to the schwinn one on walmart site. I had to sell it when we moved and really really miss it!! I remember, one time, DHs car battery died and we lived in a place where there were no options to take public trans or a taxi, so, we cycled to the auto store and hauled a heavy car battery in the basket of my trike :)

I love the suggestion to rent the Taga, didn't know this option even existed, I have to look into it!

The reason I loved Taga is because it also can turn into a stroller, which is helpful when going through areas where bikes are not allowed or trying to avoid the stretches of the road that aren't so nice by going on a sidewalk.

I will definitely keep you updated if I finally make a decision.

berlinsoul
02-20-2011, 02:21 PM
Could you buy snow tires for the Cam and make it "more" AT with them??
But they don't swivel, right? But for uneven pavement this still might help...
Just a guess :)