PDA

View Full Version : Anyone going somewhere fun for Feb break?

jess_g
02-18-2011, 06:21 PM
We are thinking of doing a 2 night stay somewhere in the area, maybe up in the white mountains (but not skiing). I am just wondering what everyone else is doing this school vacation week. -Jessica.

pinkmomagain
02-18-2011, 07:10 PM
Going someplace nice and warm! Can't wait.

SnuggleBuggles
02-18-2011, 07:39 PM
We don't get a Feb. break. Not the norm around here.

Beth

hillview
02-18-2011, 07:55 PM
ok if you are going -- where are you going??
/hillary

marie
02-18-2011, 08:57 PM
i wish.

We live in a resort town that will be getting a lot of folks from southern NE and NY/NJ so bring on the crowds!

rlu
02-18-2011, 09:06 PM
Camp Grandma. Since MIL lives a distance away we're going for about half the week and then the second half we're doing a BSA camp-out.

KrisM
02-18-2011, 09:31 PM
We have Monday off for break. Not really long enough to go somewhere. And, we're supposed to get snow and ice on Sunday and Monday. So, staying home!

LMPC
02-18-2011, 09:36 PM
We went to Great Wolf Lodge a couple of weeks ago. DD had a fantastic time! She still talks about it and wants to be told stories about it :)

Twoboos
02-18-2011, 09:38 PM
Nowhere! We're just around.

I might put DDs into a 2.5hr camp or two. And maybe we'll go to the movies. Maybe meet Daddy for lunch.

I am such a grinch over vaca. I do not like all the crazy crowds when everyone is on vacation!!

randomkid
02-18-2011, 10:17 PM
When is Feb break? I've never heard of this. DD has a 4 day weekend - off Monday for President's Day as are all the public schools, so we won't go anywhere. However, she is also off Tues (private school) when all the public school kids are back in school. DH and I were thinking about taking DD to Universal's Islands of Adventure. Do people come to FL on Feb break to go to the theme parks? If so, I might decide to skip it.

marie
02-18-2011, 10:24 PM
When is Feb break? I've never heard of this. DD has a 4 day weekend - off Monday for President's Day as are all the public schools, so we won't go anywhere. However, she is also off Tues (private school) when all the public school kids are back in school. DH and I were thinking about taking DD to Universal's Islands of Adventure. Do people come to FL on Feb break to go to the theme parks? If so, I might decide to skip it.

Depends on where you are but most places that have Feb break have President's week off and yes, lots of folks I know go to warm climates. It's unusual for us to have next week off - usually we have the last week of February off through to the first Tuesday in March (town meeting day in VT). (and the last week in February isn't usually Presidents' Day.)

kbud
02-18-2011, 10:56 PM
Humm, I've lived in 9 states and never heard of Feb break. We have spring break in March or April. Is it in addition to a spring break or in place of it?

We do have Mon off school for Pres. day. We live in FL and the weather is great now so we will hit the beach and pool! For those of you that have it have fun!

Twoboos
02-18-2011, 10:59 PM
Humm, I've lived in 9 states and never heard of Feb break. We have spring break in March or April. Is it in addition to a spring break or in place of it?

We have always had Feb (winter) break and April (spring) break. I always thought it was a New England/Northeast thing!

kbud
02-18-2011, 11:54 PM
We have always had Feb (winter) break and April (spring) break. I always thought it was a New England/Northeast thing!

Interesting...every place I've lived calls the Dec. break (around Christmas) winter break. What do you call that? Do you have 2 weeks then? That's what we get. Don't you all get a fall break too? Or is that someplace else?

ett
02-19-2011, 12:12 AM
Interesting...every place I've lived calls the Dec. break (around Christmas) winter break. What do you call that? Do you have 2 weeks then? That's what we get. Don't you all get a fall break too? Or is that someplace else?

I'm in MA.

We get a day off for Columbus Day. The Dec. break (at least for public school) is usually from Christmas Eve until the day after New Years Day. Feb/Winter break is the week of President's Day. April/Spring break is the week of Patriot's Day (observed holiday in MA and ME).

DH grew up in Pittsburgh and got a week off in March and had Good Friday and the day after Easter off.

R2sweetboys
02-19-2011, 12:29 AM
I'm in MA.

We get a day off for Columbus Day. The Dec. break (at least for public school) is usually from Christmas Eve until the day after New Years Day. Feb/Winter break is the week of President's Day. April/Spring break is the week of Patriot's Day (observed holiday in MA and ME).

DH grew up in Pittsburgh and got a week off in March and had Good Friday and the day after Easter off.

This is us as well. We aren't going anywhere special for Feb. vacation since we're going to Disney World in April. We may do snow tubing, movies, etc.

kbud
02-19-2011, 12:29 AM
I'm in MA.

Thanks. We get over 2 weeks at Christmas so there's the difference. Gosh, I'm learning so much. Never heard of Patriot's Day either. And to think we are all in the same country!

ett
02-19-2011, 02:36 AM
Thanks. We get over 2 weeks at Christmas so there's the difference. Gosh, I'm learning so much. Never heard of Patriot's Day either. And to think we are all in the same country!

Patriots' Day
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patriots%27_Day

kbud
02-19-2011, 03:03 AM
Patriots' Day
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patriots%27_Day

Thanks so interesting. My dd is in first grade and loves history. They just studied Paul Revere and his ride. She loved learning about all of it. My dh works for JetBlue so in the spring we are going to take her up to Boston to see all the places. Maybe we should go on Patriot's Day and she could see the re-enactment! Of course she's not out of school that day but I'd say that was educational!

marie
02-19-2011, 09:05 AM
Thanks so interesting. My dd is in first grade and loves history. They just studied Paul Revere and his ride. She loved learning about all of it. My dh works for JetBlue so in the spring we are going to take her up to Boston to see all the places. Maybe we should go on Patriot's Day and she could see the re-enactment! Of course she's not out of school that day but I'd say that was educational!

it's also the Boston Marathon that day - which, depending on your attitude, is "cool! we can watch marathoners!" or "more craziness to Boston traffic?!" :D

pinkmomagain
02-19-2011, 09:11 AM
In NY we have christmas week, president's week, and spring break (the week between passover and easter). Those are our long breaks....besides summer!

kochh2
02-19-2011, 09:19 AM
we're headed to Great wolf in the poconos for a few days... we were hoping to catch up and visit with Beth (brittone2) but it is a hectic time,with her recent move and a bunch of her family visiting too....:cry: maybe next time!!

anyone else going there this week??

LD92599
02-19-2011, 09:28 AM
Our district has mon and tues only (last year the whole week!). My office is open monday, dh isn't. I will take tuesday off and spend it with ds1 since daycare is open for ds2. Looking forward to that.

The towns around us though are closed for the week.

Melaine
02-19-2011, 09:30 AM
Another who has never heard of Feb break....must be nice!

hellokitty
02-19-2011, 09:55 AM
Wow, ppl get a break in Feb? We lost our president's day, b/c of all of the snow days (have to make it up, plus 2 more days tacked onto the end of the school yr), that's the only break we get in Feb.

kerridean
02-19-2011, 03:51 PM
I have never heard of this Feb. break and have lived just about everywhere????

SnuggleBuggles
02-19-2011, 06:43 PM
How many days do your states require for school? We get no fall break, 1 week off for Christmas (maybe more depending on where it falls), the Thurs., Fri. and Monday around Easter off then some random days here and there (Pres. Day, Labor Day...). We need 182 days and I can't see how they could have any more breaks and start school at the end of August and get out before the end of June!

Beth

cckwmh
02-19-2011, 06:47 PM
massachusetts needs 180 days. most school systems start with the calendar at 183 or 185 to account for snow days. since this winter has been bad, some districts around me canceled the feb break. most places start the week before labor day and end in june. i know boston is in discussions with the teachers unions if there is another snow day to add saturdays or take away some holidays. (boston did not start until after labor day).

hillview
02-19-2011, 07:19 PM

Yeah we have that outside Boston.
/hillary

ilfaith
02-19-2011, 08:39 PM

I think Presidents' weekend is a pretty busy one at the parks. NY area schools are off for the week and a lot of families do come to Florida. My brother-in-law is a Long Island teacher and comes down to Florida every other February. In spite of that, we were thinking of heading to Orlando this weekend, but the boys have been sick, so we decided against it.