PDA

View Full Version : Update in post 10: Cousin Invasion

Twoboos
02-18-2011, 09:51 PM
We are going to DL in April as our own little nuclear family. We've not ever taken a trip like this, it's always to visit family somewhere. I am SO excited.

DH is away visiting extended family. He called to ask our dates at DL, b/c his cousin and family are going to also be in the area, and won't it be great for us to all do Disney together. :irked:

Yah, NO, it won't. None of the planning I've done has been for 8 people. Just us FOUR. On our schedule, with what we want to do and when.

Don't get me wrong, I really do like DH's extended family, we always have fun together and all the kids will get along great. But this was OUR vacation. And now we've been invaded.

None of it is final, so I can only hope it changes.

ha98ed14
02-18-2011, 10:08 PM
That sucks! Boundaries, DH, boundaries! Did you tell him you wanted this to be your vacation? I'm bummed for you. :(

gobadgers
02-18-2011, 10:11 PM
A trip like that is a lot harder with another family (whether you like them or not!). Here's hoping it doesn't work out ;) Or maybe just one day overlap?

KLD313
02-18-2011, 10:23 PM
Ugh! I hope you can get out of that situation!

Twoboos
02-19-2011, 10:58 AM
That sucks! Boundaries, DH, boundaries! Did you tell him you wanted this to be your vacation? I'm bummed for you. :(

Oh yah, he knew. I've talked about it multiple times. But, it probably didn't get through his thick skull. So he probably didn't "know," y'know!

Plus how to do you put off family that you see once every couple of years?? I get it, I do. But I want US to go. Alone. There, I said it. Again. I do not want to coordinate and care what other people want to do!!! We don't get to do Disney EV-ER!!! (Bitter, party of one!)

Hopefully I can talk to him today and get the full scoop. Even if we don't meet up with them in Disney, we could see them at MIL's afterwards.

billysmommy
02-19-2011, 12:11 PM
Oh yah, he knew. I've talked about it multiple times. But, it probably didn't get through his thick skull. So he probably didn't "know," y'know!

Plus how to do you put off family that you see once every couple of years?? I get it, I do. But I want US to go. Alone. There, I said it. Again. I do not want to coordinate and care what other people want to do!!! We don't get to do Disney EV-ER!!! (Bitter, party of one!)

Hopefully I can talk to him today and get the full scoop. Even if we don't meet up with them in Disney, we could see them at MIL's afterwards.

You could always plan to meet up with them just for a meal that everyone would like and then everyone goes their own way. We've done that before and it works out great.

It's so hard when you have YOUR trip planned just the way you want!! My IL's invited themselves on our Disney trip last Dec, they had heard how much fun the boys had and wanted to experience it with them. It was a short trip and we had already planned it around specific things the boys wanted to do. DH told them they were more than welcome to come along and do what we had planned or they could do their own thing and we'd meet up with them at lunch/dinner/etc. It ended up working out fine, we had a great time together and we all got to do our own things too.

niccig
02-19-2011, 12:20 PM
I hear you. We always do family trips too. Last year, we had our first just our family trip, and I made it very very clear that it was just us. It was to Hawaii and MIL did say something about how nice it would be to go...and I told DH over my dead body, and I like my MIL.

I just wanted us...and it was the best vacation we have ever had. DH agrees, so I think it won't be such a hard sell next time.

liz
02-19-2011, 03:25 PM
Oh, I totally get what you are saying. Sometimes it's just so nice to be alone with your kids and DH. Hope it all works out to everyone's satisfaction (esp. yours!).

gatorsmom
02-19-2011, 03:32 PM
i can totally understand that you DH wants the kids to spend sometime with his family. However, DL probablly isn't the best place to do that. In my experience, trips like that are hard because everyone wants to see the sights and usually everyone wants to see something different. So, it's hard to get a chance to talk and catch up.

I think it makes more sense meeting at your MIL's afterwards.

:grouphug: After a few similar trrips, I've threatened to pull DH's arms off if he makes plans to travel with other people. I totally hear you. :)

Melanie
02-19-2011, 04:00 PM
I *totally* hear you. I am an only child...doing things with a big group is always really really frustrating for me. I try, we do sometimes and I just resign myself to only getting 1/2 done that I want and that is how it is...sacrificed for the joy of visiting with others. I would not be willing to do that for a rare Disney trip.

ITA...a family visit at the MILs would be awesome....NOT at Disney!

Twoboos
02-20-2011, 09:19 PM
Just wanted to update. It seems Dreams Really Do Come True. :rotflmao:

I talked to DH and he was also bummed about our trip being "invaded." (Which was shocking in a good way!) It was one of those "what was I supposed to say??" moments. He said this was only in discussion at this point, the cousins weren't sure exactly when they were going, how long it would take to drive there (whole length of West Coast and then some), what other stops they would make along the way... so we might be in luck.

If anything, it sounds like we might meet up for bfast on our last day. Which is fine, we don't have park tix and I was thinking of possibly hitting DownTown Disney, if that.

Thank you for your support!! And sharing your stories - gatorsmom and niccig, I'm talkin' to you... pulling off arms and dead bodies, LOL!!! I may need your help in a few months... :hysterical:

gobadgers
02-20-2011, 09:28 PM
Go DH - so glad he's on the same page!! Meeting for breakfast one day, that seems like it may be more manageable. Glad it is working out!

niccig
02-20-2011, 10:21 PM
Go DH - so glad he's on the same page!! Meeting for breakfast one day, that seems like it may be more manageable. Glad it is working out!

This sounds doable.

Isn't disney where you book for certain meals and certain events eg. breakfast with princesses...I would plan a few of those, so if the cousin do say "oh, we can meet on Wed, Thursday and Friday" you can say "oh, we have tickets for x on Wed and y on Thursday, but we have Friday morning free..."

And then have DH practice "oh, I'm not sure if we can meet up, I'll have to check with DW as she's making the plans." Then there's no "yep, we can meet" and then later on you have to backtrack on his promise...