PDA

View Full Version : Quick Advice! Visiting a new baby today-BUT exposed to Pertusiss recently

zoestargrove
02-19-2011, 08:37 AM
I found out yesterday afternoon that friends of my sons (brothers) have just been unofficially diagnosed with Pertussis by a pulmonologist. They were vaccinated, but still contracted the illness. They are now taking antibiotics, but most likely are beyond the contagious stage which would have been the when we hung out with them the most.

Today, we were planning on visiting a good friend who had a baby a month ago. I'm so excited- but in the early morning I lay in bed with the sudden thought of what if?? My youngest son has the slightest of sniffles and a very occasional cough. Under normal circumstances - I wouldn't have given it a second thought. Both of my kids are vaccinated as well, but I now know that isn't a guarantee.

Should I cancel? Should I leave my boys home and go alone? Should I stop worrying?

Thank you.

JBaxter
02-19-2011, 09:06 AM
I would call the new mom and explain the situation. I know that 70% of the people diagnosed with pertussis were up to date on their vaccines. Let her make the call.

MamaMolly
02-19-2011, 09:10 AM
I have to agree that you should call the mama. Up until my Dolly was hospitalized at 21 days because she had a fever (and got a spinal tap, blood draw and urinary catheter draw, all par for the course when an infant has *just* a fever over 101.4) I wouldn't have thought of it, but since then I'm extra careful.

You are so kind to think of it, and I would ask you not to come, so please don't get hurt feelings. It truly is a case of better safe than sorry.

KpbS
02-19-2011, 11:25 AM
You are so kind to think of it, and I would ask you not to come, so please don't get hurt feelings. It truly is a case of better safe than sorry.

:yeahthat: I'd let her know that she is free to say don't come today. My opinion is influenced by the fact my DS1 has a fever virus right now and I am trying to keep him away from the rest of the family so my newborn won't have to be hospitalized if she gets sick. Better safe than sorry!

geochick
02-19-2011, 11:40 AM
I'd postpone.

The mom is no more educated in these things than you are. If you ask someone's advice/permission, ask an MD.

Pinky
02-19-2011, 11:59 AM
I would also postpone the visit... it's just not worth the potential risk with such a young baby.

ohsara430
02-19-2011, 12:13 PM
I'd postpone the visit, not worth the risk. There's no sense in asking the new mama IMO that puts her in a bit of an awkward position. Just reschedule for another time I'm sure she'll be grateful that you are thoughtful enough to reschedule than risk getting the baby sick.

zoestargrove
02-19-2011, 12:17 PM
I just got off the phone. I didn't feel right about putting that decision on her lap, so I told her that I wouldn't feel comfortable putting her baby at risk. We've postponed the visit.

THANK YOU everyone! I knew in my gut the right decision, but I can't pretend that I wasn't crushed with disappointment. It was especially helpful mamamolly to read your response about the mom probably saying no, but to not take it personally. Reading that line brought tears to my eyes, but also helped me to get over that and know what I needed to do.

My friend was very appreciative of my call. She said that her doctor was particularly concerned about whooping cough because they are noticing it is on the rise that she had both parents vaccinate.