PDA

View Full Version : Daycare dilemma - opinions?

atripos
02-19-2011, 01:38 PM
Right now my 4 month old DD is part-time at two different daycare centers. DH and I were sure that we liked one of them better, but now that we have been at both we are not so sure...

Daycare 1: Located where I work, NAEYC accredited with larger facilities, more outdoor space, and more structured programs for the toddlers and older, this program originally seemed like the easy choice. But now that we are there, it seems that the caregivers in the infant room are all pretty burnt out and don't enjoy their jobs. From what I've seen when I visit, they hardly ever pick-up my DD (or any of the other children for that matter). And this center is nearly twice as expensive as daycare 2.

Daycare 2: Located half-way between work and home, in the basement of a building (no natural light), no accreditation, not much structure for toddlers and up (they seem to sit around doing nothing for alot of the day), no outdoor space. The caregivers in the infant room are awesome though. When I come pick her up they are always playing with her or holding her, they are upbeat and positive and they seem excited when we show up.

It's possible that the women at daycare 2 are just putting on a show to retain business, but at least they care enough to put on a show - sometimes I feel like the caregivers at daycare 1 seem annoyed that we are dropping off DD to be watched! But that facilities are really head and shoulders above daycare 2, and DD won't be in the infant room forever, and the caregivers in the toddler room at daycare 1 don't seem as good as those in the infant room.

We really thought we had this all figured out, but now we don't know what to do - I would love any opinions or advice - thanks in advance!

purpleeyes
02-19-2011, 08:36 PM
Wow, this is really hard! Would be wrong of me to ask if you have any other options? :bag:

On one hand, I would say that playing/holding/picking up your DD and interacting with her would be the *most* important thing, esp. at this age. Most of what little ones learn is through their interactions with others and I would really want her to have that when I am not with her, you know?

However, the lack of accreditation and structure (for the future) would also be a big problem for me. Who is double checking on this daycare? Do the workers get any training? Without the accrediation, does that mean they just hire anyone off the street-even someone without a lot of kid experience or some inappropriate opinions on how to interact with kids. Trainings, etc. could help educate someone without the experience, and I would be worried if they didn't have that.

I would probably lean towards Daycare 1. . .

Sorry to be so waffle-y!!

SnuggleBuggles
02-19-2011, 08:53 PM
I'm with pp, is there a 3rd option? If not, I like #2 better with the caveat that they get outside somehow (walks, going to a nearby park...).

Re. accreditation- something like NAEYC is a lot of work and it may not be worth it for them. I know several really top notch, well regarded programs in my city that don't have the NAEYC accreditation that take their staffing and programing very seriously. The certification can help weed things out but I wouldn't use it as a necessity. I'm sure you can find out the credentials and background of the employees if you ask.

ohsara430
02-19-2011, 10:16 PM
Is it an option to go with #2 until she would be in the toddler room at option #1?

Although no natural light all day is a bit odd and depressing for a daycare situation.

AnnieW625
02-19-2011, 10:28 PM
I would go with #2, esp. if the staff seems way more caring. As long as the facility is licensed and the kids and parents who send their children there are happy then I wouldn't worry about it. At center #2 do the children get taken for walks or at least see the outdoors?

I would keep her at one daycare too and ask yourself if the center #1 is worth the price difference too. Have you voiced your concerns to the management of center #1?

mommylamb
02-19-2011, 10:29 PM
How long would your DD stay in the infant room in daycare 1?

I don't think I'd be satisfied with either of those places to be honest.

erosenst
02-19-2011, 11:00 PM
In the FWIW category, the very good daycare DD was in as a 2 yr old had a couple of interior rooms - and DD's 2 yo room was one of them. Initially, I was very unhappy about it - but the teachers did a great job of making it an inviting, interesting room. (We also happened to hit that room when they had two great teachers - like many daycares, turnover can be a problem, but DD had the same teachers the 8 months she was in that room before we moved.) At the time we were there, it wasn't NYAEC accredited, although it since has become so.

I'm a big believer in trusting your gut when it comes to daycares - and reading your post I would agree with PP's in asking if there are other options.

Snow mom
02-19-2011, 11:32 PM
I would go with number 2 for now (although this is really a tough call for me as they both sound like they have major problems) and commit myself to finding something else asap--certainly by the time she'd move into a toddler room. At this stage I think babies need loving and nurturing rather than fancy rooms or even natural light. I'd make that my priority for the time being. As she grows more aware of her surroundings though she'll need some structure and opportunities to explore the world around her and it sounds like daycare 2 can't offer that. I'd be leery to go with 1 even for toddler years because if the management can't control their infant room I'm sure there are problems in other rooms as well. Keep in mind as you go through the search that you will find something better but your DD will be fine for the time being. I know how stressful it can be to find a good daycare.

atripos
02-25-2011, 10:36 AM
Thanks for your input everyone! We decided to go with daycare 2 after this past week at daycare 1 definitely made up our minds.

After being there a month, on Monday they didn't know who my DD was and signed her in as a different baby as I was dropping her off. On Tuesday, one of the caregivers had her own, 7 year old grand-daughter in the room, which would have been fine, except she was helping her do her homework and ignoring other babies that were crying (witnessed this while I was breastfeeding DD in the corner). Then on Thursday, just to top it off, one of the caregivers complained to another one that my DD was a "crier" right in front of my face! Of course she cries - she's 4 months old for pete's sake!

Anyway, today at daycare 2 when we dropped her off she was crying, and one of the caregivers picked her right up and by the time we left she was smiling contentedly - I know we made the right choice. :) Thanks again!