PDA

View Full Version : Does your library nickel and dime you like this?

JustMe
02-19-2011, 02:03 PM
This could almost go in the BP, but I would really like to know if this is typical. I put a book on hold for dd and got a recorded message that it is now available and if we are not there to pick it up within 8 days we will be charges a $1 re-shelving fee and (obviously) it will be re-shelved.

A couple of weeks ago I returned a dvd I had borrowed for dd and by mistake left out one of the dvds (it came with a set of 2). I got a postcard to return the other dvd (which I did) and my account was charged $1.

There are a couple of related scenarios, but you get the point. Sure they need to have late return fees, but this seems a little ridiculous. I have lived in 2 other places, and dont think the libararies did these kind of things, but then again I didnt have kids then and was pretty perfect about returning things, always picked up my holds, etc.

infocrazy
02-19-2011, 02:20 PM
In your examples, my library would not have charged for the re-shelving, but they would have charged $1/day for the DVD, oh and not sent a postcard!

For a variety of reasons, I doubt we will be checking out books on a regular basis but mostly because they can't seem to keep track of what has been returned or not and I am really annoyed at the false fees that I have to keep arguing to someone who doesn't think there is a problem...sigh.

I have honestly just decided to buy used for most of our books...and lord knows we have about a million already anyway that we need to put into the rotation...

liamsmom
02-19-2011, 02:22 PM
I voted other.

I think it's completely normal to charge you a fee (although I think it should be a regular daily fine) for returning a two-disc set with a missing disc. The item isn't really returned unless all the pieces are there; the library can't loan out the item to other patrons if the set is missing items.

I've never heard of a re-shelving fee at a public library before. I assume expired holds might have been an accruing problem for the library. If your library is part of a library system which borrows items from other local libraries, they are most likely paying a courier service for transportation. I guess if there was a significant percentage of items that were just being transported back and forth because they weren't being picked up on time, the fine might be issued to encourage people to pick up their stuff.

Public libraries are experiencing big budget cutbacks right now while simultaneously getting more business--more circulation and more new patrons. Lots of libraries are upping their fees right now. Not so much to generate revenue--they don't make a profit from fines--but to ensure their materials are returned.

02-19-2011, 02:26 PM
Absolutely typical when I lived in Los Angeles. I really hated the hold fine, but I do understand it a bit especially for popular titles.

A dollar a day for late DVDs is typical in California.

lhafer
02-19-2011, 02:29 PM
I voted no, but am only familiar with my local library. I take my DD to story time almost every week. We usually get books every week and return the ones from the week before. there have been a few times when we didn't go to story time, and I forgot to return library books. I have only been charged late fees once, although I know I have been late on several occasions.

Just last week, I had books (like 5 of them) that we were due back the previous Thursday (story time day). I didn't over there to return them until the next Tuesday. I wasn't charged any late fees (they tell me at check out).

I get late charges. But reshelving fees?? Seriously? Um, it's not like you buy books/cds/etc not expecting to return these items. You are borrowing them...therefore, it will need to be reshelved once returned. That would seriously irk me and I wouldn't go there.

Kaylee31
02-19-2011, 02:29 PM
In your examples, my library would not have charged for the re-shelving, but they would have charged $1/day for the DVD, oh and not sent a postcard!

:yeahthat: When I lived in another city for a few years, the library there charged for putting reserves on books, which I thought was weird. Now my local library charges $1 a day for late DVDs, and $.25 a day for overdue books. You can also rent new release DVDs and books for a small fee. I think it's understandable because so many libraries have had huge budget cuts, at least mine has. I figure if I have late fees, they are my contribution towards funding. ;) It's still a lot cheaper than buying all the books I read.

lhafer
02-19-2011, 02:32 PM
I forgot to add that when I check out books from my local library, I have the ability to recheck out the books online...so I REALLY have no reason to ever have late fees on my books!

crl
02-19-2011, 02:41 PM
Yes and no. No fees for not picking up holds. Late DVDs are a dollar a day. But they do not charge any late fees on items checked out on kid's cards. So my ds has had his own card since he was 5 and since we only check out kids DVDs we never get charged late fees on those.

(And I have resisted the temptation to abuse the system and I check my books out on my card even though it means I pay late fees on my books sometimes. In fact I owe them $7 right now. Still cheaper than buying the books.)

Catherine

katydid1971
02-19-2011, 02:49 PM
I lost a book that we borrowed for DS (found 2 years later under a chest) and called to tell them I had lost it but I would like to pay for it via the phone because I had a new baby with health issues and really couldn't go down there. They told me that I could come anytime and pay for the book and the fees would stop. Well about a month later I got a collections notice that I was being charged for the book and all the fees. I called and was told that no one would have told me what the first person said was told I was basically a liar. I'm still very pissed about the whole thing. And yes they do charge for unpicked up held books. Times are hard and libraries are getting big cut backs so they are getting money anyway they can.

DebbieJ
02-19-2011, 03:19 PM
I am so thankful that my library does not charge when you do not pick up an item you had held. I would be broke! LOL!

Snow mom
02-19-2011, 03:19 PM
Our library does charge for holds that aren't picked up within x number of days (it's somewhere between 7-10--I can't remember off the top of my head.) I think it's fine because they do give you a warning that this is their policy every time you request a hold. The only tricky part for me is sometimes if an item is in huge demand you'll be on a large waitlist and have no idea when the item may finally be sent. You can check on which number you are on the waitlist and I suppose you could cancel before it is sent but I've always worried items would arrive while I was out of town.

I think what the OP describes is totally understandable. Less understandable is the $6/day (per volume) I was recently charged by the university library for obscure scientific journals from the 1980s. I'm certain nobody missed those when I returned them a day late ;)

luza
02-19-2011, 03:31 PM
The public libraries in my big city home town charge $3/day late fees for DVDs...

lorinick
02-19-2011, 03:35 PM
Holds if you don't pick them up in two days goes to the next person on the list.

DVD and books being late that is the only charges.

s7714
02-19-2011, 03:43 PM
Our library doesn't charge re-stocking fees for hold items (they just automatically go to the next person on the wait list), but the other fees sound perfectly normal.

kristenk
02-19-2011, 03:47 PM
No restocking fees here, either. Late fees are .10/day for any item books, DVDs and CDs. I :heartbeat: my local library!

ETA: I would expect a fine at my library for not including the 2nd DVD *if* the DVD were overdue. If I managed to return the 2nd DVD before the original due date, I don't think I'd be fined.

♥ms.pacman♥
02-19-2011, 03:56 PM
Our library doesn't charge re-stocking fees for hold items (they just automatically go to the next person on the wait list), but the other fees sound perfectly normal.

:yeahthat:

the first scenario ("reshelving fee") sounds a bit unusual..most libraries i've been a member of simply give it to next person on the list if you don't pick up a held item after x number of days.

the fine for not including 2nd dvd though sounds totally reasonable.

wellyes
02-19-2011, 04:02 PM
My library doesn't fine when people don't pick up items on hold, but I wouldn't mind if they did. I have been that person, more than once, but still, it'd be fair.

I don't think small fines are nickle-and-diming - it's not about making a profit - those fines are really the only thing the library can do to promote appropriate patron behavior, right? My library waives fines if you bring in canned goods for the annual food drive. Win-win situation for everyone.

fivi2
02-19-2011, 04:17 PM
Our library does charge for holds that aren't picked up within x number of days (it's somewhere between 7-10--I can't remember off the top of my head.) I think it's fine because they do give you a warning that this is their policy every time you request a hold. The only tricky part for me is sometimes if an item is in huge demand you'll be on a large waitlist and have no idea when the item may finally be sent. You can check on which number you are on the waitlist and I suppose you could cancel before it is sent but I've always worried items would arrive while I was out of town.

I think what the OP describes is totally understandable. Less understandable is the $6/day (per volume) I was recently charged by the university library for obscure scientific journals from the 1980s. I'm certain nobody missed those when I returned them a day late ;)

Snowmom, you can actually cancel online any time during the 10 day hold window. So, they email you that your hold is available, you have 10 days to pick it up OR cancel it. They don't charge you if you cancel it during that window. (At least that was the case last time I had a hold, it is possible it has changed recently.)

I live where snowmom does, so that may not be the case elsewhere!

DietCokeLover
02-19-2011, 04:23 PM
No. My library, as small as it is, does not charge overdue fees or any types of fees whatsoever. I really like that about our little library.

Babymakes3
02-19-2011, 04:30 PM
My library does not charge for reshelving a book that I didn't make it in to pick up, luckily they wait up to 3 days before sending it back to the library I ordered it from so it's rare that I can't get in there. Book late fees are .10 to .20 depending on whether there are other holds on the book, there is a 1 day grace on a book being late though. Dvd's are $1 and there is no 1 day grace on them.

buddyleebaby
02-19-2011, 04:53 PM
My library does not charge a restocking fee.
There is a one dollar a day late fee for DVDs. Late fees for books are I *think* 20 cents a day.
After the library budget was slashed again this year, they implemented a 50 cent charge for each DVD you borrow. VHS tapes are still free.
They have a great kids' section and amazing programs for kids/families so even though the 50 cent charge is annoying at times, I think it's a fair trade-off. I would rather pay tiny fines/charges here and there than see programs cut.

cvanbrunt
02-19-2011, 05:10 PM
Book late fee is still .25 a day and DVDs are $2 a day. The failure to pick up a hold has increased from 1 to 2 dollars at the beginning of the year. I understand this fee because I worked for years in the system. There's labor/supplies involved in getting materials from one library to another. I spent a good hunk of my day pulling books from the shelves at my branch and labeling them for transport to the pick-up branch. Before the days of the internet, I had to call everyone and let them know the book was here. There are library trucks that travel from branch to branch picking up and delivering these requests.

bigpassport
02-19-2011, 05:14 PM
I voted no. The only thing I've ever been charged for is late fees. Both of my local library systems have a great auromated email reminder system 3 days before book is due. I've never heard of reshelving fee.

vonfirmath
02-19-2011, 05:43 PM
This could almost go in the BP, but I would really like to know if this is typical. I put a book on hold for dd and got a recorded message that it is now available and if we are not there to pick it up within 8 days we will be charges a $1 re-shelving fee and (obviously) it will be re-shelved.

A couple of weeks ago I returned a dvd I had borrowed for dd and by mistake left out one of the dvds (it came with a set of 2). I got a postcard to return the other dvd (which I did) and my account was charged $1.

There are a couple of related scenarios, but you get the point. Sure they need to have late return fees, but this seems a little ridiculous. I have lived in 2 other places, and dont think the libararies did these kind of things, but then again I didnt have kids then and was pretty perfect about returning things, always picked up my holds, etc.

When you put a hold on a book at our library there is a big sign that you will be charged $1 if you do NOT pick it (in 10 days). They were having too big a problem with people putting holds on stuff and not picking it up so did this to cause those who wasted the library's time to have to pay for it. I think it is reasonable. If I put something on hold, I need to get myself over to the library to PICK it up when they oblige by getting it for me.

And yes, our DVD late fines are $1 a day. Its plastered all over the cases.

vonfirmath
02-19-2011, 05:45 PM
Snowmom, you can actually cancel online any time during the 10 day hold window. So, they email you that your hold is available, you have 10 days to pick it up OR cancel it. They don't charge you if you cancel it during that window. (At least that was the case last time I had a hold, it is possible it has changed recently.)

This is the same at our library. if you go online and cancel the hold (even if it is ON THE SHELF) you will not be charged. It is when you dont go in to the library and never tell them you don't want the book that you get charged

I do not consider these fees nickel and diming.

MommyAllison
02-19-2011, 05:56 PM
Ours charges late fees - $1/day for DVDs, 25 cents/day for books, cd's and VHS. No other fees though, and with their entire database online, it is really easy to renew online. So I'm voting "no" on the poll.

caleymama
02-19-2011, 06:19 PM
I've never heard of a re-shelving fee at a public library before. I assume expired holds might have been an accruing problem for the library. If your library is part of a library system which borrows items from other local libraries, they are most likely paying a courier service for transportation. I guess if there was a significant percentage of items that were just being transported back and forth because they weren't being picked up on time, the fine might be issued to encourage people to pick up their stuff.

Public libraries are experiencing big budget cutbacks right now while simultaneously getting more business--more circulation and more new patrons. Lots of libraries are upping their fees right now. Not so much to generate revenue--they don't make a profit from fines--but to ensure their materials are returned.

ETA: I would expect a fine at my library for not including the 2nd DVD *if* the DVD were overdue. If I managed to return the 2nd DVD before the original due date, I don't think I'd be fined.

I've returned an empty DVD case before (I check every DVD/CD case now right before I put it in return bin!) and all they did was call me to notify me. Sure enough, it was still in the DVD player. I dropped it off later that day - no fine or fee.

Our fines are as follows:
Adult books, music CD’s, children’s CD’s, all audiocassettes, read-a-longs and toys:
$.10 per day - $5.00 maximum
Express Books: $.25 per day - $5.00 maximum
Juvenile Books: $.05 per day - $5.00 maximum
Videos and DVDs: $2.00 per day - $10.00 maximum
CD-ROMs: $.25 per day - $5.00 maximum
Lost Books List price of the item if lost or damaged
Magazines: $.10 per day - $5.00 maximum
J Video Games: $2.00 per day - $10.00 maximum

There is no fee for putting an item on hold within the system and no fee if it is not picked up. We have a week to pick it up and are notified by an automated call or email (our choice of which) that it is available and when the hold expires. If it's not picked up before the hold expires, it just goes to the next person on the list.

I regularly manage our library accounts online - renewing items, placing holds or canceling holds.

miki
02-19-2011, 06:21 PM
Our public library system doesn't have those charges but I understand why they would. Budget cuts are really hurting some public library systems. In our county, they are talking about closing half of the branch libraries this year.

sarahsthreads
02-19-2011, 09:19 PM
Book late fee is still .25 a day and DVDs are $2 a day. The failure to pick up a hold has increased from 1 to 2 dollars at the beginning of the year. I understand this fee because I worked for years in the system. There's labor/supplies involved in getting materials from one library to another. I spent a good hunk of my day pulling books from the shelves at my branch and labeling them for transport to the pick-up branch. Before the days of the internet, I had to call everyone and let them know the book was here. There are library trucks that travel from branch to branch picking up and delivering these requests.

:yeahthat: Our library does interlibrary loans/holds for free, and so if they have to use gas and have librarians at both ends take extra time to move a book for someone, and that someone doesn't bother to come get the book, I think it's only fair to charge that someone a fine. We get 8 days to pick a book up, and can request up to 10 books at a time...I think that's pretty generous. Our neighboring country library system charges for all interlibrary loans, so I feel very fortunate that we get them for free - our tiny library has a lot of books, but somehow never the ones I'm looking for!

I would also expect to pay a fine for a missing DVD.

Sarah :)

daisymommy
02-19-2011, 09:34 PM
Yes :irked:. I am slowly going broke using the free public library. Granted, it is my own doing, but they are getting out of control. Reserve a book? $0.25 per book. Wait to long to pick it up? $1. Fines are $0.20 per book per day.

I got a very small dirt smudge on the bottom of a book's closed pages, that truly could have been cleaned off. But nope, they charged me $30 for it--when it was on Amazon for $10, and wouldn't take an outside book instead. They blocked my account until I paid it. I was sooo ticked off!

I almost feel like I would be better of buying books at this point!

salsah
02-19-2011, 09:38 PM
i voted other because one of our libraries does but another doesn't. one of our libraries charges a fee just for placing books on hold.

momm
02-19-2011, 09:40 PM
I don't think it's them nickel and diming you.
They need resources to have the book transported to you for holds. They give you books and DVDs free of charge, late fees are their one income. I think it's fair.

PS You can most probably go online and renew items online and keep track of when things are due/ due to be picked up.

My library does not charge for hold items not picked up but I would understand if they did.

nupe
02-19-2011, 09:53 PM
Seriously my library does other things that are crazy. I have only gone once in the last two years because the parking and accessiblity are so bad. So I don't really know how holds work anymore. The strange thing is that I drive right by the parking lot 5 days a week!

They used to have a backlog to return books, so even when I returned a book on time, they would not scan it for several days, and I ended up with fines. I got tired of paying and didn't go for almost 2 years. I was delighted to see that they now scan them back in right when you put them in the return slot. But of course when I went to renew my library card I was told I had another $5 to pay or so in late fees, from 2 years ago!!!! So although I am no longer a "friend" of the library, I have paid way more in fines in the last two years.

mousemom
02-19-2011, 10:32 PM
Thankfully, my public library does not charge fees for holds not picked up or for late items or to place a hold. If an item is very late (I think it's like two weeks late), then you get a bill for late charges. But once you return the item, the charges are waived.

doberbrat
02-19-2011, 11:38 PM
I voted yes, but I think its normal. in fact, I view the library as a 'rental' service esp since I get fees all the time.

I requested my first intralibrary loan a month or 2 ago. My library doesnt charge for it but I'd be ok if did. I mean really. I sit on my couch in the comfort of my home and choose my book and put in the request. Someone goes to the shelves, pulls it for me, sends it to my home library, where they put it behind a counter and phone me to say its arrived. I just go to the desk and get it. I felt so guilty I made a small donation as a thank you.

JustMe
02-20-2011, 12:45 AM
Thanks for the responses. Very interesting. The holds are not from other libraries, they are just materials that are from that library that someone else has out. It is good to know (in a way) that some other libraries do that as well. I wonder if I can cancel on line after the item comes in. I know I can do that before it comes in, but dont know about after. I will have to look into that.

kijip
02-20-2011, 12:53 AM
Library funding is one the things many cities and towns have cut with the recession. All sorts of new fees have, and will, be added to help make up some of that.

Is there an alternative besides increased user fees or reduced hours of operation and programs? On the whole I guess I would rather pay a few extra bucks for convenience fees than see the library not be open when we want to go.

MontrealMum
02-20-2011, 01:10 AM

Those are slightly higher than the libraries that I'm familiar with up here, but again, here in Quebec we don't have the same public library mandates (and low to no user fees) that are common in the US and the rest of Canada. You'd be surprised at the budgets that many libraries are operating on these days vs. their strictly necessary operational costs. And as Liamsmom said, the user rate has also skyrocketed - as it always does in an economic downturn - while those budgets has been decreased, not increased. It's rather ironic considering the history of public libraries in the United States and why Carnegie started his charitible trusts in the first place, but I think that people are getting rather jaded these days and no longer believe as strongly in merit based sucess as they used to.

I don't see it as making money or nickel and diming at all but rather what many libraries have to do to keep the doors open w/o cutting services.

MontrealMum
02-20-2011, 01:21 AM

I know that this seems steep, but that entire time you had the DVD at home the 1st one - since it was a 2 part set - had to be kept somewhere, out of circulation. Sure things are computerized nowadays, but it still has to be physically someplace else, that place is recorded, then they have to contact you, and once it finally gets returned, they have to go get DVD #1 and reunite the two and put them back, together, on the shelf. That doesn't sound like much, but I'm sure there are other things have to be kept back from reshelving and entering circulation every day. And you'd be shocked at how short some libraries are on shelf space. That's why they have periodic sales...it's called "culling the collection" :D Or, in plainspeak, getting older/poorly circulated volumes off the shelves so that they have space to put the new publications that their patrons are asking for.