PDA

View Full Version : Which e-readers that let you get titles from the library do you like?

SnuggleBuggles
02-20-2011, 12:25 AM
I don't want to buy books unless I love them. I prefer to use the library. It doesn't look like I can use a Kindle that way but I think that some of the others allow you to check books out electronically. If you have a library compatible one, do you like it? Also, do you find your library's selection to be any good?

Beth

cckwmh
02-20-2011, 09:33 AM
I have the regular nook, (not the color). I use the library for about 70% of my books. i try to get the others on sale really cheap, use the free fridaybooks, or use a GC. Our local library is only ok about ebooks. But i have joined 2 other libraries that are much more extensive. Most books I want have a wait list, but I have been pretty lucky - usually I get off the wait list about a day or 2 after I finish a book. I try to put a couple of more books on my waitlist everytime I download one.

eta: i love the nook! i have buying books because i rarely read them again and I have little space as it is.

LarsMal
02-20-2011, 10:15 AM
I have a Nook Color and I love it. I love having WiFi, and use it all the time.

My library doesn't have the greatest ebook selection yet, or they don't have it available in the right format, but they are always adding more. I've still been able to borrow more than I've bought.

KHF
02-20-2011, 10:56 AM
I bought a Nook (regular, not color) and love it. I've only had it a short time, but I've purchased more books than I've borrowed, simply because I've been reading new series books and I have issues with waiting. That said, the Nook rocks!

lowrioh
02-20-2011, 11:33 AM
I have a Nook Color and I love it. I love having WiFi, and use it all the time.

My library doesn't have the greatest ebook selection yet, or they don't have it available in the right format, but they are always adding more. I've still been able to borrow more than I've bought.

:yeahthat:

jess_g
02-20-2011, 07:10 PM
I have the sony ereader and love it. It is light weight and fits in my inside side pocket. I like that it does not have the keyboard like the kidle does since this makes the reader smaller and easier to hold (well for me at least). I also love the pink color that the sony reader comes in.

I have had mine for about 2 months now. The best feature I think is that you can borrow library ebooks and read them on the reader. They are returned automaticaly after 14 or 21 days and you do not need to do anything to return them. The Nook also allows you do read ebooks from the librar., but I think the Nook is a bit bigger than the sony reader.
I would recemend you check the readers out in person and then decide which features you like the most.

Jessica

ang79
02-20-2011, 08:13 PM
I'm considering getting one of these too. I looked at the Kobo at Border's and it seemed basic, but nice. I want to check out the Nook as well (we don't have a local B&N, does Best Buy sell them?) Price point is the big concern for me and I've found refurbished Nooks from B&N with a 1 yr. warranty on Ebay for $99 right now, and the Kobo is also $99 in store. Would you go for a refurb. Nook because the Nook seems to have a bit more features, or the Kobo brand new? Or buy a used e-reader (I've seen several for sale recently and various forums I am on, so I'm tempted to wait for a good deal on a gently used one.)

liamsmom
02-21-2011, 12:10 PM
I'm considering getting one of these too. I looked at the Kobo at Border's and it seemed basic, but nice. I want to check out the Nook as well (we don't have a local B&N, does Best Buy sell them?) Price point is the big concern for me and I've found refurbished Nooks from B&N with a 1 yr. warranty on Ebay for $99 right now, and the Kobo is also $99 in store. Would you go for a refurb. Nook because the Nook seems to have a bit more features, or the Kobo brand new? Or buy a used e-reader (I've seen several for sale recently and various forums I am on, so I'm tempted to wait for a good deal on a gently used one.)

I was at Best Buy last week and they had the Nook, Kindle and Sony e-readers available. The prices seemed about the same as the B&N and Amazon prices.

daniele_ut
02-21-2011, 12:57 PM

To answer the OP, I have a Nook Color and I LOVE it. I have mostly been reading free books and 2 that I bought since I got it in November, but I got my first library book yesterday.

As far as the refurbs, I wouldn't hesitate to buy one as long as they came with the factory warranty. I supplemented my warranty with one from Square Trade that covers all damage. I would make sure you can still do that for a refurb.

I don't think I'd buy a used e-reader, though.

ang79
02-21-2011, 10:13 PM
Ooh, read on slickdeals that the Nook refurb from B&N is $99 w/ free shipping on Ebay right now! So tempted!

I'm also waiting to hear back from a mama on another board about price for her gently used Nook. Man, when start researching things I become obsessed and now I really want one!

kellyd
02-21-2011, 10:16 PM
I bought my nook w/ 3G from ebay for 119. I think they're 139 now. They are eligible to add on the additional 2 year warranty through barnes and noble. I LOVE it!