PDA

View Full Version : My Maclaren Starck Review

Multimama
02-20-2011, 11:27 AM
You can’t find much online about the Maclaren Starck, but pretty much everything you find has someone comparing it to the Volo so I thought I’d write my review as a Starck vs. Volo comparison. They are both non-reclining Maclaren strollers that have some features that recommend them for travel and right now they are in about the same price range, but that is pretty much where the similarities end. Here is a list of the differences. :)

Why you might like the Volo better:
• the Starck has unlinked toggle brakes (since it was made in 2006) while current Volos have linked central lever brakes (I actually find the central lever kind of annoying, but would prefer linked brakes)
• the Volo has a basket, which might be better for plastic grocery bags or loose shopping items
• the Volo has shorter handles and they are the typical Maclaren foam grips, the Starck has funky smooth rubbery handles, which I really like, but you may not
• the Volo seat fabric is removable while the fabric on the Starck is not
• the Volo has a nicer more comfortable harness, while the Starck has a thick and stiff harness with a difficult bulky buckle (I do not like the Starck harness, but on the up side it doesn’t have that complicated press from both sides mechanism so might be easier for caregivers to figure out)
• both strollers have hammocky seats, but I feel like the Volo may have a more upright seat overall
• the Volo is about 4 lbs lighter (9 lbs vs. 13 lbs?)
• the Volo has a smaller fold
• my Starck is sticky to open and close in comparison the Volo, but probably silicone spray could fix that
• the wheels on the Volo are more rounded/curved and that may make for slightly better push and steering
• my Starck is more florescent than it looks in stock photos, I suspect the other colors are as well, so the available colors may not be for everyone
• the Volo has a carry strap
• the Volo can accept the Maclaren universal bumper bar, but the Starck can't because of the way the fabric is integrated with the frame

Why I like the Starck better:
• the awesome SHELF that you can put your diaper bag on so that it stabilizes your stroller rather than making it tippy, love the shelf
• its gorgeous good looks loved by both moms and kids – yesterday another kid on the bus told his mom that he wanted DS’s stroller :)
• taller seat back for a taller child (I measured 22.5 inches, but it could be more once a child was sitting in it)
• taller handles for a taller parent – I love the handle design, comfortable to hold if you’re not too tall, but then they just keep on going
• the larger chunkier wheels make it easier going over bumps (my Volo gets stuck in cracks in the sidewalk) and I still think the steering is great
• it comes with a rain cover (my Volo didn’t) - note: the rain cover connects to the stroller in a starck-specific way so not a univesal one at all
• it comes with a really nice travel bag, this bag is much higher quality than the free bag I got with the Blink and also large enough that I imagine it could fit pretty much any umbrella stroller
• no need for hinge covers – I love the sleek straight line design of the hinges
• more reclined seat seems like it would cradle kids better for napping
• reflective accents on the hood and seat
• travel-friendly materials – the hood is made out of some kind of raincoat material and I feel confident that the whole stroller could get drenched and be completely fine and dry very quickly (I guess the Volo has this too, but I like the materials of the Starck better)
• the wheels don’t touch the canopy when folded
• the Starck has a carry handle (I prefer that, personal preference)
• the Starck has a peekaboo window
• the Starck canopy is also bigger - 20 inches (or 24 if you include the peekaboo window) vs. the Volo's 18 inches
• you do not have to remember to collapse the Starck canopy before folding the stroller, the canopy will collapse on its own during folding

Bottom line: I love the Starck. I love the shelf. I think this is so much more functional for traveling than a basket and am willing to forgo the lighter weight and smaller fold of the Volo to get it. I also love that it is tall child and tall parent friendly because, you know, tall kids often have tall parents. While the Volo is great for tall kids, it has a really low handle height. I also prefer the handling of the Starck outside. And I think it is gorgeous. Plus it comes with great accessories. What a great deal. I :heartbeat: it.

I hope this review helps someone. Even if you're not buying, I know there is a lot of curiosity about the stroller. :)

Thought I would do some Strollerqueen-esque dimensions for you. I'm not an expert measurer, but here they are.

Weight 13.5 lbs
Seat to Canopy 26.5 inches
Seat back 22.5 inches
Seat width 12.25 inches
Seat depth 9 inches
Drop to footrest 7.5 inches
Seat to ground 14.5 inches
Width 17.5 inches
Length 28.5 inches (wheel base)
Height 44 inches
Folded Dimensions 44L x 9.5W x 10H

arivecchi
02-20-2011, 11:35 AM
Awesome review!

Pics please!

Multimama
02-20-2011, 11:37 AM
Awesome review!

Pics please!

Working on it. :)

hellokitty
02-20-2011, 12:48 PM
Lol, b/c of your avatar, I was going to ask you to write a review. It's so nice that you read my mind. :) I really, really like that shelf. Is it dumb to say that even though I am on my last child, I have been drooling over this stroller, b/c of the shelf. #1 things I hate about macs is the basket, and this shelf design would be SUCH an upgrade IMO to the dinky basket, so that an actual diaper bag can sit IN it, and not have to be draped over. I have a mac techno and have a stroller stand for it, that is ok if I remember to use it, b/c I hate how tipy the mac is and the dinky basket. I would rank my old chicco london higher than my mac in many ways b/c of this. I'm just pissed that albee baby increased the price up from $50. I was actually going to buy it, but when they raised the price, I backed off. Now, I'm just watching again to see if the price goes back down. Which color did you get? Also, does it come with a shoulder strap like the volo does?

Multimama
02-20-2011, 01:01 PM
What is a stroller stand? I'm intrigued.

I know it's annoying that Albee raised the price, but I was wondering if maybe the $49.99 was a pricing error. They used to be on sale for $149.99, so it's possible someone left off the 1 at the front. I still think $74.99 is a great price, if that sways you at all.

It doesn't have a shoulder strap (what I call the carry strap in the review), but it does have a handle and I really like the handle.

I got the nectarine (orange), but I kind of wish I had bought two when the price was $50. I really wanted the purple one! :)

ETA: The shelf is why I wanted one too. I just love it. And I think this is so much better for travel because you can put something really hefty, like a fully-loaded backpack (or maybe a Radian??? :)) on there.

berlinsoul
02-20-2011, 02:18 PM
Never heard about this stroller! Thanks for this review!!
Could not find decent pics of the shelve. What exactly is the difference in comparisan with a basket ? (Hope thats not a stupid question.)

hellokitty
02-20-2011, 02:30 PM
My stroller stand is like a bike kickstand. It is attached to one side of my stroller and when I need it, it comes down like an upside down V, pretty much like a bike kickstand. It works well, except that it is heavy (adds at least a lb, if not more) and I have tripped over the stand before, b/c I forget that I have it open, lol.

OMG, I am totally lusting over this stroller. Here is my situation. We are going to WDW in Dec. My P&T is out, just too big, combi double is not going to work (worked well in past, b/c DS1 and DS2 were close in wt when they were younger, now there is a 20 lbs wt diff btwn DS2 and DS3, DS1 won't ride), b/c I think DS2 (will be 6 yrs old, but I KNOW he will tire out at the parks) is too big, I have my mac techno and I have a chicco london at my mom's house. DS2 can use the techno, and DS1 could use the chicco, but I cannot stop thinking about this stroller. My techno is not the ideal travel stroller. I think I am going to get the purple stark (As a mom of 3 boys, who bought all her strollers 5 yrs ago, I feel like I missed out on all the fun colors), and we will use that our as travel stroller. When DS2 is 7, I know he won't need to ride anymore, but he still will for our upcoming WDW trip and DS3 is still a toddler, so we'll still get in a good 4 yrs. I would actually sell or give my techno to one of my sil's if I think the stark is a good replacement. The shelf is just so attractive to me, to be able to stick a big bag down there and not have to fight with the stroller or try to hang and constantly unhang it would be sooo nice! Plus, none of my kids sleep in strollers, it's such a waste that I have strollers that recline and I've tried the volo and can't get over how cheapy it feels, maybe it is b/c I had a techno first. Hmm, I think I am going to spring for the purple, it's soooo nice, and I don't care if it's bright, I'd love to have a non-blah looking stroller that makes heads turn at this point. It's so bad that I basically have resisted getting a new stroller for DS3 and well, of all things I can't believe I'm falling for another umbrella stroller. My DH will probably end up liking this stroller, just b/c he loves anything that looks ultra-modern, lol.

hellokitty
02-20-2011, 02:47 PM
Well, that didn't take too much convincing. I ordered the purple one! :) :love-retry: Can't wait to get it and try it out. My DH is going to roll his eyes, but considering that I didn't buy anything new for DS3, except for some clothes, he can't complain.

roseyloxs
02-20-2011, 03:03 PM
All these lightweight strollers have me so tempted lately. I would need to sell my Topaz before buying a new lightweight though. Maybe when I get back to WA I'll list the Topaz again on CL. Now that all the overstock sales are gone I can get most of my money back.

hellokitty
02-20-2011, 03:20 PM
All these lightweight strollers have me so tempted lately. I would need to sell my Topaz before buying a new lightweight though. Maybe when I get back to WA I'll list the Topaz again on CL. Now that all the overstock sales are gone I can get most of my money back.

This is OT, but how come you don't like your topaz? I had kicked myself for not taking advantage of the overstock sale of the cybex, but that was before we knew we were going to WDW and I'd need two strollers, one that can handle a 6 yr old.

Multimama
02-20-2011, 03:23 PM
I've tried the volo and can't get over how cheapy it feels, maybe it is b/c I had a techno first. Hmm, I think I am going to spring for the purple, it's soooo nice, and I don't care if it's bright, I'd love to have a non-blah looking stroller that makes heads turn at this point.

Yes, I don't think the Volo really feels cheap to me, but the Starck definitely feels (and looks) a lot more expensive. It's kind of like Albert Thurston that way. Once you have it, it makes more sense why the MSRP is so high. It looks really great. The frame is kind of chromed too, which is a nice touch. I hope you love it. :) Congratulations on picking the purple. I am definitely getting a purple stroller if we ever have an LO#2, regardless of whether it's a boy or a girl.

legaleagle
02-20-2011, 03:26 PM
So if you just got the Starck, I'm curious which strollers have you sold recently to downsize? Did the Starck replace several?

Multimama
02-20-2011, 03:27 PM
Could not find decent pics of the shelve. What exactly is the difference in comparisan with a basket ? (Hope thats not a stupid question.)

These are the best pics (http://strollersandprams.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5665) I could find of the shelf and the Starck in use online. There are also some great ones by a poster on StrollerSwap if you are a member of that group, but they aren't posted on board so you'd have to hunt down the discussion thread to find the link and info.

turtlejd
02-20-2011, 03:30 PM
I'm soo tempted! I have a 5 year old Volo that I'm looking to replace and the shelf and purple looks awesome. Our Volo works fine, it just looks terrible at this point and has become our farmer's market shopping cart that we occasionally stick our 2.5 year old in. I didn't realize the Starck came with a canopy. Can't wait for pics!

Multimama
02-20-2011, 03:31 PM
So if you just got the Starck, I'm curious which strollers have you sold recently to downsize? Did the Starck replace several?

I'm still working on the downsizing. :bag In my defense, I started the downsizing after I bought the Starck. :) I plan to sell or give away the Volo and the Blink. I have just never been a Volo fan (although I was always sure I would love it until I got one) and I was keeping the Blink around for travel etc. but I think the Starck is so much better for that.

Multimama
02-20-2011, 03:34 PM
I didn't realize the Starck came with a canopy. Can't wait for pics!

Oh yeah, it has a really nice canopy. My DS loves it, it looks kind of space-aged.

ETA: Just measured the canopy. It's 20 inches compared to the Volo's 18 inches, but if you include the peek-a-boo window it's 24 inches. Wow.

roseyloxs
02-20-2011, 03:45 PM
This is OT, but how come you don't like your topaz? I had kicked myself for not taking advantage of the overstock sale of the cybex, but that was before we knew we were going to WDW and I'd need two strollers, one that can handle a 6 yr old.

I don't dislike the Topaz at all. Its an awesome stroller and I have been excited about being able to bring it "home" to Germany. Just been feeling the itch for something new lately and I usually don't allow myself to indulge in a new purchase before selling one I already own. Also we have decided to put off TTC for a year so I could downsize to an umbrella meant for older kids only like the starck(which would shave about 3 lbs of stroller weight). Then buy myself something new when we have a new baby again (although with 3 kids I will probably be wearing #3 mostly).

I am going to try and sell the Topaz to a couple of preggo friends first so it still gets a good home.

sail731
02-20-2011, 04:19 PM
I'm still working on the downsizing. :bag In my defense, I started the downsizing after I bought the Starck. :) I plan to sell or give away the Volo and the Blink. I have just never been a Volo fan (although I was always sure I would love it until I got one) and I was keeping the Blink around for travel etc. but I think the Starck is so much better for that.

Don't give away the volo!!!! PM me please.:bowdown:

I am looking to purchase something for a vacation I have coming up and would love to find a good deal on a Volo. Ebay has been outragious and my CL is pathetic.

Multimama
02-20-2011, 04:36 PM
Don't give away the volo!!!! PM me please.:bowdown:

Clearly I'm not a very good saleswoman, but babyproductstore has the black/white Volo for $68 shipped on Ebay right now and I don't think you'll get a better deal from me if I have to ship. I'm only going to give it away if it's to a family member or close friend from whom I can easily get it back should I want it. So really more of a longterm possibly permanent loan. :)

I did see a Volo on Ebay that was going for $50 with no canopy and no basket and thought that was ridiculous!

Mommaof3
02-20-2011, 08:13 PM
Thanks for the review, that looks like a very cool stroller. I had a ? It looks like the footrest is made out of material, is that correct? Would it get dirty easy?

Multimama
02-20-2011, 08:32 PM
I had a ? It looks like the footrest is made out of material, is that correct? Would it get dirty easy?

The actual footrest is made out of plastic. You can see it in the pics, it's the darker color at the bottom. Since it's plastic, it's super easy to clean, obviously. But on mine the plastic is a little bit bent, not straight like in the pics. Since it bends when you fold the stroller and my stroller was folded for 5 years, I guess that's to be expected.

Mommaof3
02-20-2011, 08:33 PM
Just looked at the pics and saw it is plastic :)

Multimama
02-21-2011, 02:37 PM
I was inspired by Strollerqueen's reviews to take some measurements so I added them above. I think comparison pics will probably be more helpful, but I'm still working on it.

Multimama
02-21-2011, 03:32 PM
Okay, I managed to upload a pic to my review. If anybody can give me some advice about how/where to host pics in an album that would be appreciated. I used to use Photobucket, but find it kind of annoying. Is that the best there is?

In the meantime, my sole pic (attached to the post) shows nicely the big difference between a shelf and a basket. That is my full laptop bag with my computer in it sitting on the shelf. The stroller is empty and free-standing. Show me another Maclaren that can do that. :)

hellokitty
02-21-2011, 04:46 PM
Oooh, thanks for adding more to your review! I am still waiting for a shipping confirmation for my order and can't wait to try out my starck. We're getting another dump of snow and a lovely bright purple stroller arriving at my doorstep would totally make my day!

One of my friends uses smugmug.com and likes it for photo hosting.

Multimama
02-21-2011, 05:53 PM
Oooh, thanks for adding more to your review! I am still waiting for a shipping confirmation for my order and can't wait to try out my starck. We're getting another dump of snow and a lovely bright purple stroller arriving at my doorstep would totally make my day!

LOL. I'm glad at least one person is as excited about this stroller as I am. :) I hope you love yours as much as I love mine. (Albee took a few days to get me my shipping confirmation, but after that the stroller arrived fast. I hope it's the same for you.)

hellokitty
02-24-2011, 11:28 PM
I just wanted to update for those who have been following this thread. I got my starck tonight and I :heartbeat: it! First of all, the color is just so pretty! I thought it would be more of an electric purple, but actually I would describe it to be more of a dusty dark lavender color. It's very easy on the eyes, lol. All 3 of my boys were eager to try it out. My 7 and 5 yr old both sat it in comfortably, as well as my 19 mo old. Like MM had said, it is just a really nice stroller, you can tell from the details that it's an expensive stroller. The shelf is even nicer than I thought it would be (it is pretty deep), the handles are FANTASTIC! I am only 5'4", but the handles were still comfy for me, and I would imagine that taller parents would love them. I also like that they are not the thick foamy handles like my techno, but more, "skinny," which for someone with small hands, feels more comfortable. The wheels are nice, they aren't nubby like my techno, but definitely not as dinky as the volo wheels (which is one thing that has always bothered me about the volo, the wheels look really tiny to me). It rolls like butter, btw, which is exactly what I expected, so much so that my 19 mo old pushed my 7 yr old in the stroller w/o any trouble!

The canopy is great, I have not measured it side by side with my techno, but I would say w/o a doubt it is longer than my techno, so offers more coverage, the material is thinner, but I don't see it would affect its performance. MM is right the front wheels do NOT touch the canopy, like they do with other mac models. The carrying handle is really nice, it is springy and rubberized, and when it's not in use, it's not noticeable, since it kind of, "retracts" in with the rest of the frame and does not look obvious at all. It's hard to describe, but originally I wanted a shoulder strap, but now I really like this handle more than the idea of a stroller strap, it is VERY comfortable to hold the handle. The rain cover fits nicely on it and the travel bag is AWESOME! You could fit pretty much any umbrella style stroller in it, so it will be very versatile for the stroller fanatic who travels often. :p The harness buckle is kind of bulky, I was surprised by how wide the straps seem to be, but it's a minor thing. I wish that there was a little velcro pocket on the back of the seat, like my techno, for the rain cover, but that's another minor issue. It is a very long stroller though, I can tell w/o even comparing it to my techno that folded up, it is probably longer and the wt of the stroller is probably similar to my techno. However, I do like that it doesn't need those stupid hinge covers. For the price, this thing is a steal. It oozes quality and it is a sharp looking stroller. I'm definitely looking forward to using it. It is still kind of stiff when I try to open and fold it, but I am thinking it is probably b/c it is brand new.

Anyway, if you are on the fence about this stroller, get it! It is so much nicer than I thought it would be and the purple is just so pretty, I can't get over how pretty it is, while at the same time looking sleek and modern. I feel like my plaid techno is going to look shabby next to my starck, lol.

roseyloxs
02-25-2011, 12:13 AM
You two are killing me. I should have just bought it when it was $50 and then it wouldn't even matter if I didn't like it much. Argh!

Multimama
02-25-2011, 12:16 AM
Thanks for your supplementary review. I am so happy that you love it! I can't wait to see pics of the purple.

I should have emphasized more in my review that the quality of the materials and attention to detail that you can see went into designing the stroller really wow you when you see it IRL. You do a better job of getting that across in your review.

I love mine too. It's both so beautiful and so functional.

ETA: Sorry Roseyloxs. Seriously. GET IT. You need a travel bag anyway, right? :)

roseyloxs
02-25-2011, 12:22 AM
I fear now if I buy it that it will be back to $50 tomorrow. Just my luck. Was shipping expensive?

hellokitty
02-25-2011, 12:34 AM
I fear now if I buy it that it will be back to $50 tomorrow. Just my luck. Was shipping expensive?

Shipping was only $5, which is super cheap for a stroller, so MM convinced me and with the shipping so low, it was an easy decision, lol. I too felt like it stinks that they raised the price, but seriously, the travel bag alone is worth the extra $25 price hike. It is amazing to me that such a nice stroller can be had for this price.

roseyloxs
02-25-2011, 12:39 AM
I am going to sleep on it but I am starting to think I can leave the Cybex Topaz in Chicago with the grandparents. Buy the starck and bring it to Germany. When baby #3 comes along I can trade strollers and start using the Topaz again.

That sounds like a decent plan, right?

tarnator
02-25-2011, 12:50 AM
What?!?!?

The price went back up?

I think that I was the OP who found it for $50 about a week ago, but couldn't find out any info on it. I ended up with the Triumph, which is great - but I thought that it would have more recline than it does. Anyway, I had been keeping the Starck in the back of my mind... and now it is more money.

Nice review multimama. Thanks.

Darn....wish that I had gone on impulse and bought it for $50!

Multimama
02-25-2011, 08:31 AM
The price went back up?

Yeah, the price was only $50 for a couple of days and then it went up, but I still think that $74.99 is a good price. I actually think $49.99 may have been a pricing error. They were $149.99 for a long time.

Thanks for bringing this deal to our attention, Tarnator. I had been wanting a Starck for a loooooooooong time and I'm so glad that you posted that deal because otherwise I would have missed out on what I think will be my absolute fave travel stroller. (Since I haven't traveled with it yet I will reserve judgement.)

adj0913
02-25-2011, 02:42 PM
I just took a look at this stroller and it looks so cool. Albee has the 15% off sitewide and I don't think Maclaren is excluded. Every time I come on this board I end up with a new stroller lol

Multimama
02-25-2011, 03:26 PM
I just took a look at this stroller and it looks so cool. Albee has the 15% off sitewide and I don't think Maclaren is excluded. Every time I come on this board I end up with a new stroller lol

15% off is only for non-sale items so it won't work on the Starck, which is already 75% off MSRP. But buy it anyway, it's great. :)

Multimama
02-26-2011, 03:44 PM
Bumping to let you all know that pics are now uploaded at Strollerista under Starck vs. Volo.

ETA Link: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/strollerista/

hellokitty
02-26-2011, 08:22 PM
OK, I hope this works, I started a photobucket acct. It's under, "starck." MM, can you post a link to strollerista?

http://s1094.photobucket.com/albums/i445/hellokittylego/Starck/?albumview=slideshow

Multimama
02-26-2011, 08:45 PM
Okay, I think I added a link to strollerista in my previous post, but you have to join and be approved by a mod and there are some requirements. (I forget what they are!) I figured most everyone who cared to see pics would be a member or would be one soon, but I am still working on trying to create an account somewhere else.

ETA: Cool pics! That is such a rich purple. :)

hillview
02-26-2011, 08:50 PM
OK some questions -- sorry to be uneducated
what is the weight limit
how does it compare to a mac quest and a BCJM how does it push compared to these?
how would it do as a travel stroller for an older child

thanks!
/hillary

Multimama
02-26-2011, 08:57 PM
OK some questions -- sorry to be uneducated
what is the weight limit
how does it compare to a mac quest and a BCJM how does it push compared to these?
how would it do as a travel stroller for an older child

thanks!
/hillary

I am pretty sure the weight limit is 55 lbs, but I didn't actually find any info about the weight limit on Maclaren's site or in the instructions!

In my review I tried to argue that it is an awesome travel stroller for an older child, that's what I plan to use it for. It is about the same weight as a Quest, but probably a longer fold. ETA: It definitely has the tallest seat back of any Maclaren.

As far as the push, I haven't pushed it outside with a kid in it enough to say for sure, but so far I thought the push was great (classic Maclaren push). When I was researching the stroller there was some dispute about the push, which is why I don't want to pass judgement yet. It does feel a little different to push than other macs (like the ryder), but I think that's because of the design of the handles actually. The ride seems very smooth, even outdoors.

hillview
02-26-2011, 09:08 PM
I am pretty sure the weight limit is 55 lbs, but I didn't actually find any info about the weight limit on Maclaren's site or in the instructions!

In my review I tried to argue that it is an awesome travel stroller for an older child, that's what I plan to use it for. It is about the same weight as a Quest, but probably a longer fold. ETA: It definitely has the tallest seat back of any Maclaren.

As far as the push, I haven't pushed it outside with a kid in it enough to say for sure, but so far I thought the push was great (classic Maclaren push). When I was researching the stroller there was some dispute about the push, which is why I don't want to pass judgement yet. It does feel a little different to push than other macs (like the ryder), but I think that's because of the design of the handles actually. The ride seems very smooth, even outdoors.

Thanks! Would you replace your quest with this for a taller/heavier child?
/hillary

hellokitty
02-27-2011, 12:23 AM
/hillary

I have a techno and the starck definitely has a taller seat. My 7 yr old, who is of avg ht, still has extra room and in my case, all 3 kids can use it. I got it primarily as a travel stroller, but have a feeling that it will replace my techno. I don't need a stroller with a recline, and I :heartbeat:the shelf instead of the basket on the starck. I wish all the macs would switch to the shelf over the annoying basket.

MM, I realized after having DH take the pics that I should have taken a pic of the stroller w/o a child in it, but I guess you can see the purple ok.

Multimama
02-27-2011, 08:47 AM
/hillary

For travel? Yes, definitely. LOVE the shelf. For everyday? I'm keeping a second umbrella because a) I want the recline feature available and b) I get nervous about the non-removable fabric. (Although the fabric on my Blink is non-removable and I haven't had a problem so far. I keep a liner on it.) I would switch to the Starck full time if my child was too tall to get head support in other macs.

hillview
02-27-2011, 10:01 AM
Ok I am tempted although it is insane. We are going to the UK in a couple of weeks with the boys and considering replacing the quest with the Stark. I think I'd keep the BCJM as it has a better push than the Macs -- expect it is better to push than the stark?
/hillary

blondflava
02-27-2011, 10:39 AM
Cool stroller! Thanks everyone for sharing pics! The stroller looks like a lot more than 75, that's some great deal, I wish I felt the need for it, but it doesn't appeal to me as much...
It's going to be just like with Al, everyone was getting it and raving about it and I didn't 'feel the need', then once the deal is over, I'll regret it LOL..

@ hellokitty: love your siggy LOL.

hellokitty
02-27-2011, 10:51 AM
Ok I am tempted although it is insane. We are going to the UK in a couple of weeks with the boys and considering replacing the quest with the Stark. I think I'd keep the BCJM as it has a better push than the Macs -- expect it is better to push than the stark?
/hillary

My starck basically pushes just as I would expect a mac to push. So, if you think your BCJM is a nicer push than macs, then yeah, i would just keep the bcjm. I like the ways mac push, so I'm happy with the way the starck pushes.

Blondflava, thanks about the siggy. :)

roseyloxs
02-28-2011, 07:12 PM
Tried showing my husband the maclaren starck to test his temperature on the purchase.. The response was not so good, it seems he doesn't love the look as much as I do.

dh - "What is that? A parachute?"
Me- "no its an umbrella stroller"
dh- "don't you already have one of those"
Me - "yea"
dh - "it wouldn't be safe. If you took it out on a windy day the baby would just fly away"

As unsatisfying as it may be I think I am going to take what I already have to Germany and see how it goes.

hellokitty
02-28-2011, 10:27 PM
Tried showing my husband the maclaren starck to test his temperature on the purchase.. The response was not so good, it seems he doesn't love the look as much as I do.

dh - "What is that? A parachute?"
Me- "no its an umbrella stroller"
dh- "don't you already have one of those"
Me - "yea"
dh - "it wouldn't be safe. If you took it out on a windy day the baby would just fly away"

As unsatisfying as it may be I think I am going to take what I already have to Germany and see how it goes.

Lol, your mistake was asking your DH his opinion at all. I didn't bother asking my DH, I just got it. Until he gets rid of 4 bikes, multiple sets of golf clubs, tons of stereo equipment and extra guns, he really can't get on my case about one extra stroller. :tongue5:

Multimama
02-28-2011, 10:54 PM
I think I'd keep the BCJM as it has a better push than the Macs -- expect it is better to push than the stark?

From what I understand too, the BJCM pushes better than Macs, but I've never had one so I don't know. The Starck is so awesome in my opinion, I want everyone to get one, but I imagine lots of people would be just as happy with a Quest. It really depends how you use your strollers.

I wish I felt the need for it, but it doesn't appeal to me as much... It's going to be just like with Al, everyone was getting it and raving about it and I didn't 'feel the need', then once the deal is over, I'll regret it LOL..

I'm not sure the Starck is an acquired taste. I think if you see the pics and you love it, then you'll love it even more in person. If you see them and you think, what is THAT (per roseyloxs' DH) then probably it's not for you. :)

Lol, your mistake was asking your DH his opinion at all. I didn't bother asking my DH, I just got it.

:yeahthat: I told my DH I bought myself a birthday present. He took it pretty well. :) He was happy when I sold the Volo.

ETA: Hellokitty, you can see the color of my Starck on your wheels. It's the same color as the lettering. I was wondering if they changed the lettering color for every fabric choice. :)

3sweetgirls
03-06-2011, 09:17 PM
So does anyone happen to know the actual length of the Stark or how much longer it is than the other Maclaren's?

Multimama
03-06-2011, 10:38 PM
So does anyone happen to know the actual length of the Stark or how much longer it is than the other Maclaren's?

What length are you looking for? I put all the lengths I could think of in my review in the first post (wheelbase, handle height, length when folded, etc.). Strollerqueen has a lot of the measurements for other Maclarens on her blog so you can compare at strollerqueenreviews.blogspot.com.

chozen
04-09-2011, 04:27 PM
I have a techno and the starck definitely has a taller seat. My 7 yr old, who is of avg ht, still has extra room and in my case, all 3 kids can use it. I got it primarily as a travel stroller, but have a feeling that it will replace my techno. I don't need a stroller with a recline, and I :heartbeat:the shelf instead of the basket on the starck. I wish all the macs would switch to the shelf over the annoying basket.

MM, I realized after having DH take the pics that I should have taken a pic of the stroller w/o a child in it, but I guess you can see the purple ok.

so does the starck steer as smoothly as the techno?

roseyloxs
04-09-2011, 09:50 PM

I doubt it since the wheels are much smaller but I guess we should wait for one of the owners to chime in.

Multimama
04-09-2011, 10:43 PM

I have a Ryder, which isn't quite as smooth as a Techno, as far as I understand it, but I would say it doesn't steer as smoothly as the ryder. The wheel size isn't so different, but the shape of the wheels, I think, makes the Starck have a little less of that turn on a dime feel. Plus, I've never really understood suspension and how to know if my strollers have it, but I would say that the Starck is less bouncy, which also changes how it feels to steer it. It also feel different (although not necessarily worse) to steer because the handles are closer together/curved differently. While I think it does steer less smoothly, to me the difference is not significant. It's still a Maclaren push and better than most other umbrellas. But it depends on which side of the push vs. features divide you fall as to how much you would care about the difference, I guess.

swissair81
04-10-2011, 07:50 PM
Do you think an 8 month old could sleep in it?

Multimama
04-10-2011, 08:04 PM
Do you think an 8 month old could sleep in it?

Well, my former 8 month old could have. But it depends on your LO, I guess. I think for a seat that doesn't recline it is fairly reclined and also more supportive on the sides than the Volo so their head won't flop out of the stroller entirely as they sleep.

legaleagle
04-10-2011, 08:09 PM
My 10 month old took tons of naps in it last week when we were on vacation.

swissair81
04-10-2011, 08:11 PM
Well, my former 8 month old could have. But it depends on your LO, I guess. I think for a seat that doesn't recline it is fairly reclined and also more supportive on the sides than the Volo so their head won't flop out of the stroller entirely as they sleep.

I had her on the next to most upright position in my Vista today.

hellokitty
04-10-2011, 11:09 PM
The wheels on the starck are a lot bigger than the quest and triumph's wheels. The steering is IMO typical mac steering. Since the handles are higher up, I think that affects it a little (not quite as nimble), but not by much.

Oh and multimama, the logo on my wheels is orange, not purple, so orange is maybe the logo color for starck is my thought.

BTW, I've been using my starck for non-jogging purposes and I :love-retry: it. I am in love with the shelf, why can't other companies adapt to a shelf too? It is so awesome. My diaper bags (and I also put my cooler there too) all fit perfectly w/o me having to tug and pull. DS3 is the primary user of the stroller and LOVES it. He doesn't sleep in strollers, none of my kids have, so I have no input on it, except that for an 8 month old, I think they would slouch too much in it, so I would not recommend it if you have a child who is that young that naps in a stroller. My techno is just sitting in my garage gathering dust now, b/c I love the starck so much. It's weird, b/c while it is a much less fancy model than my techno, it comes off as a very classy, expensive looking stroller. I've definitely have had ppl do double takes, b/c there is nothing else that looks like it out there, esp that foot board, color (purple) and super sleek design.

Multimama
04-11-2011, 12:06 AM
BTW, I've been using my starck for non-jogging purposes and I :love-retry: it. I am in love with the shelf, why can't other companies adapt to a shelf too? It is so awesome. My diaper bags (and I also put my cooler there too) all fit perfectly w/o me having to tug and pull. DS3 is the primary user of the stroller and LOVES it. He doesn't sleep in strollers, none of my kids have, so I have no input on it, except that for an 8 month old, I think they would slouch too much in it, so I would not recommend it if you have a child who is that young that naps in a stroller. My techno is just sitting in my garage gathering dust now, b/c I love the starck so much. It's weird, b/c while it is a much less fancy model than my techno, it comes off as a very classy, expensive looking stroller. I've definitely have had ppl do double takes, b/c there is nothing else that looks like it out there, esp that foot board, color (purple) and super sleek design.

Glad you are so happy with it! I haven't been using mine as much as I wish I was. I think I will sell the Blink and then it will get more use. :)

poohbear
04-11-2011, 10:47 AM
Oh man, I think I want one... :ROTFLMAO:

roseyloxs
04-11-2011, 12:49 PM
Oh man, I think I want one... :ROTFLMAO:

If you read about it enough you just can't resist. Its the same reason I catch myself singing Katy Perry songs. :ROTFLMAO:

sarahcarioca
07-19-2011, 04:11 PM
Does anyone have photos of the starck folded? I'm just curious to see how it folds up and how long it really is.