PDA

View Full Version : No kindereggs?!?

kristenk
02-20-2011, 11:38 AM
I've taken my kinderegg sources for granted. Now they're gone.

Even though they're not supposed to be sold in the US, there were two local import stores that had them. Since I knew I could purchase them any time, I didn't worry about buying ahead and stocking up. (The toy inside is the main draw, so storing them for a while isn't an issue.)

Neither store carries them now and there's a notice on the shelf that they're not allowed to sell them!:banghead: I want to get some for Easter! We had a kinderegg-opening-fest on New Year's Eve last year (we needed a way to celebrate and that seemed to fit the bill!) that DD still remembers fondly! I had soooo hoped that the Easter Bunny would be able to put some in her basket. :(

Snow mom
02-20-2011, 12:03 PM
I'm sorry. I believe you can still get them in Canada (although I haven't been in a while) and just about any country outside the US. Maybe you have a friend who will be traveling that can pick them up? I have way too many kinder egg toys at my parents house. For a while every time someone would travel they would bring them back for me. I finally packed them all up into a huge Tupperware the last time I was home because they were just collecting dust.

Neatfreak
02-20-2011, 12:23 PM
Why aren't they able to be sold in the US?

bubbaray
02-20-2011, 12:41 PM
Because the toys are a choking hazard.

They are widely available in Canada year-round.

LexyLou
02-20-2011, 01:16 PM
What's a kinder-egg?

bubbaray
02-20-2011, 01:19 PM
http://www.haveyouplayedtoday.ca/

The eggs are actually called Kinder Surprise.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinder_Surprise

bubbaray
02-20-2011, 01:20 PM
Why aren't they able to be sold in the US?

Prohibition on sale or import into the United States

While Kinder eggs have been available in Canada since 1975, the product has never been allowed into the US for several reasons. In 1993 the Ferrero Group (the maker of Kinder eggs) applied to have the eggs sold in the USA, but was turned down because of a prohibition against having an inedible item inside an edible object. More recently, the US Consumer Products Safety Commission determined in 2008 that the product did not meet the small-parts requirement for toys for children under the age of three, creating a choking and aspiration hazard in young children. Since 1991, at least 7 children worldwide have died of choking after swallowing the toy inside the Kinder egg[6] (http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/#cite_note-5).

On January 10, 2011, it was reported that a Kinder egg was seized from a woman's car during a random inspection while entering the United States from Canada. She was informed that bringing the egg into the United States could result in a $300 fine.[3] (http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/#cite_note-CBC-2) Seizures such as that one, and even the prohibition of the product itself, have been cited on political blogs and web forums as an example of an overzealous application of law and an intrusion upon personal liberty.[7] (http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/#cite_note-6) The rationale against a ban of the product also takes the form that deaths have been too few for it to be considered a serious danger. Additionally, the argument is made that there should be a consistent standard in place, with several worse dangers not being regulated, making it anomalous that a Kinder egg should be regulated.[8] (http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/#cite_note-7)

Melanie
02-20-2011, 01:27 PM
She had her chocolate and toys seized a the border?

I'm SO glad they stopped her. Can you imagine what would have happened had SHE gotten through!? Wow. Glad they're stepping up security...what with Easter just around the bend and all.

bubbaray
02-20-2011, 02:10 PM
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/story/2011/01/10/man-kinder-surprise-border.html

kristenk
02-20-2011, 02:32 PM
This whole thing is so bizarre! I had no idea about the seizures and fines. So much for asking a friend to send me a case. :( :( :(

Melanie
02-20-2011, 02:32 PM
So are Canadians just not as litigious as Americans? Being as we're the land of "Caution hot coffee may be hot."

kristenk
02-20-2011, 02:38 PM
So are Canadians just not as litigious as Americans? Being as we're the land of "Caution hot coffee may be hot."

Maybe it's just that Canadians are smart enough to realize that they shouldn't eat plastic even if it's surrounded by chocolate?

Melanie
02-20-2011, 02:42 PM
LOL!

Okay, Canadian Friends, tell us - do your hot coffee cups have cautions on them?

katydid1971
02-20-2011, 03:56 PM

I'm SO glad they stopped her. Can you imagine what would have happened had SHE gotten through!? Wow. Glad they're stepping up security...what with Easter just around the bend and all.
:hysterical:

LexyLou
02-20-2011, 04:34 PM
On January 10, 2011, it was reported that a Kinder egg was seized from a woman's car during a random inspection while entering the United States from Canada. She was informed that bringing the egg into the United States could result in a $300 fine.[3] (http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/#cite_note-CBC-2) Seizures such as that one, and even the prohibition of the product itself, have been cited on political blogs and web forums as an example of an overzealous application of law and an intrusion upon personal liberty.[7] (http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/#cite_note-6) The rationale against a ban of the product also takes the form that deaths have been too few for it to be considered a serious danger. Additionally, the argument is made that there should be a consistent standard in place, with several worse dangers not being regulated, making it anomalous that a Kinder egg should be regulated.[8] (http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/#cite_note-7)

:rotflmao: Thank god my borders are safe....:hysterical:

I love that these eggs even have their own wikipedia page.

mrshalco
02-20-2011, 05:37 PM
This post....and all the links are quite entertaining! It is also making me want one even more! Hmmmm how to get my hands on them!!!

EllasMum
02-20-2011, 05:42 PM
Because the toys are a choking hazard.

For the uninitiated, the toys come inside a hermetically sealed (I am *so* not kidding) plastic pod, which is WAY too big for most kids to even put in their mouths, let alone choke on. The pods are so incredibly hard to open that it often takes me a minute or two to break-in. The toys themselves are small/choking size, but, seriously, I can't see how any child could get to the toy on their own. DD has a kinder surprise almost every time we go out - it is a small/thin chocolate egg and she rarely gives the toys a second glance. She is always interested in what is inside, but they usually end up in the garbage pretty quickly. The chocolate is yummy, though. DD gets one of the giant (maybe 10" tall?) eggs at Easter. Mega toys inside those. ;)

bubbaray
02-20-2011, 05:50 PM
LOL!

Okay, Canadian Friends, tell us - do your hot coffee cups have cautions on them?

I think the McDonalds cups do. I can't remember if the Starbucks cups do.

The courts here very much frown on vexatious or frivolous litigation.

As for the Kinder Surprise/eggs, ITA with Susan, those "pods" that the toys come in are such a PITA that I can't see a child younger than 3 getting into them. There are millions of Canadian and European kids who get Kinder Surprise every year and they don't seem to have a problem.

That said, I personally don't like the Kinder chocolate. DH LOVES it.

kristenk
02-20-2011, 06:12 PM
DD gets one of the giant (maybe 10" tall?) eggs at Easter. Mega toys inside those. ;)

There are giant ones??? Seriously? Please tell me more! I wonder if I could get one of those somehow... That would be perfect for Easter!

bubbaray
02-20-2011, 06:15 PM
There are giant ones??? Seriously? Please tell me more! I wonder if I could get one of those somehow... That would be perfect for Easter!

They have a whole line for Easter:

http://www.haveyouplayedtoday.ca/products.html#easterProd

the large one is the Kinder Maxi.

kristenk
02-20-2011, 10:46 PM
Thanks for the link.

So what's inside the kinder maxi?

moosemama
02-21-2011, 12:16 AM

Yes, there are giant ones and they have bigger toys inside. I just picked one up this weekend for my DS for Easter at my local grocery store (it was $10). Costco always has them too. This particular one has a Zamboni inside (one of the 6 Canadian hockey teams). When assembled I think it's going to be about 4 inches long. My DS is going to be so excited! He loves Zambonis!!!

pinkmomagain
02-21-2011, 04:54 PM
When I was younger Perugina used to make a very unique chocolate egg: from the outside, it looked like a real egg. It had a thin white hard candy shell and the inside was lined with a delicious layer of dark chocolate. Sometimes there would be a little toy inside. Then I remember getting them without the toy. You used to be able to buy them at Bloomindales I think around easter time. I've tried to investigate but don't think they make them anymore. They were delish and sound similar to Kinder eggs.

Corie
02-21-2011, 06:54 PM
I had an import store in Rhode Island for the Kinder Surprise eggs
and last April, I found an import store here in Cincinnati that
sells them. I'll have to stop by this week and see if they have
any!!!

kristenk
02-21-2011, 07:35 PM
Corie - let me know if you have any luck. I might be asking you to pick some up for me!

LMPC
02-21-2011, 09:47 PM
So what's inside the kinder maxi?

Dear Marketing,
Please do not make my chocolate sound like something I would use when AF is around. It is not appetizing at all!

Thank you,
A kinder-smugglin' mama!

MamaMolly
02-21-2011, 10:48 PM
Dear Marketing,
Please do not make my chocolate sound like something I would use when AF is around. It is not appetizing at all!

Thank you,
A kinder-smugglin' mama!

:hysterical: My thoughts exactly, though I can see a relationship in marketing honkin' big chocolate eggs to women with PMS. Have a happy period, indeed!

katydid1971
02-22-2011, 02:51 AM
OK you guys have me totally interested. This place says it ships to the US. Of course you run the risk of having it confiscated by customs at the border. :rolleyes:
http://www.canadaonly.ca/categories/Chocolate-and-Chocolate-Bars/Ferrero/Kinder/?gclid=CMag0oWVm6cCFSd5gwodkxVP1g

Melanie
02-22-2011, 03:31 AM
Yes, there are giant ones and they have bigger toys inside. I just picked one up this weekend for my DS for Easter at my local grocery store (it was $10). Costco always has them too. This particular one has a Zamboni inside (one of the 6 Canadian hockey teams). When assembled I think it's going to be about 4 inches long. My DS is going to be so excited! He loves Zambonis!!!

OMG! MY HUSBAND NEEDS THIS!! Okay...Costco Candian Members...who wants to trade me some Kinder Eggs for a Hanna Dress from our costco!? ETA...wait I see now I was too quick...they're from the grocery store? Either way...tell me what you want! We must have a Zamboni Kinder Egg!

Corie
02-22-2011, 11:22 AM
OMG! MY HUSBAND NEEDS THIS!! Okay...Costco Candian Members...who wants to trade me some Kinder Eggs for a Hanna Dress from our costco!? ETA...wait I see now I was too quick...they're from the grocery store? Either way...tell me what you want! We must have a Zamboni Kinder Egg!

The BBB Kinder Egg Swap!

Ceepa
02-22-2011, 12:43 PM
I'm now researching Kinder Eggs.

cairo06
02-22-2011, 02:47 PM
I used to mail them to my nephews in the U.S. all the time, then one year the package never arrived. Months later my brother finally received the package without the Kinder eggs, but including a 2 inch stack of paper basically stating that they had seized and removed the illegal items out of the package and why. I stopped mailing them after that and would just bring them in my suitcase, but after hearing about that lady being stopped recently I might not risk it anymore. My nephews will be so disappointed. Its stressful enough making the long trip with the DC, I don't need anymore hassles.

moosemama
02-22-2011, 11:38 PM

I would totally trade you for a Hanna Dress but I'd be worried that the egg would get seized by customs or something and shipping from Canada is crazy expensive compared to US shipping rates.

ETA: Actually, I'm likely coming across the border for a couple of days in the middle of March, so I could mail it from the States. I wonder what would happen if the US border guards found it in my luggage...

bubbaray
02-22-2011, 11:54 PM
Yeah, sorry, I'm not getting on a Kinder Egg watchlist and losing my Nexus card....

firemama
02-23-2011, 12:53 AM
Oh, KinderEggs! Brings back fond memories. My dad was a flight attendant for United and flew to Germany. He would bring these back for us.

I can't believe these are *illegal* in the US! Ridic!!

kristenk
02-23-2011, 10:54 AM
Yeah, sorry, I'm not getting on a Kinder Egg watchlist and losing my Nexus card....

LOL

I'm imagining some large touch-screen map displayed in a dark room showing various "kinderegg hot spots" before the special team is mobilized to seize the contraband.

Corie
02-23-2011, 01:42 PM
I bought the last 4 regular sized Kinder Eggs today at a store.

The owner said that they would be getting more in closer to
Easter. He said that he thinks he is getting the big ones too!!

firemama
02-24-2011, 12:02 AM
Corie, what store did you find these at??!! I swear one time I saw these at World Market.

dogmom
02-24-2011, 01:45 PM
I know someone whose family used to own a chocolate shop. She would take orders before Easter and they could put whatever you wanted (money, toy, etc) in a hollow chocolate bunny, egg, whatever as long as they had the mold. Maybe there is a local chocolate shop that can do that for you?