PDA

View Full Version : Just for fun - old wives tales re gender prediction - were they true for you?

Kira's Mommy
02-20-2011, 12:25 PM
Well, I hear old wives tales re baby gender prediction are very reliable 50% of the time ;) Were they true for your babies?

Nausea = boy, no nausea = girl
This one was actually true. I did not have much morning sickness with my DD. Well, not nearly as much as my friends who were having boys. Although one friend had the worst morning sickness throughout (!) her pregnancy and had a girl.

Early heartbeat more than 70 = girl, less than 70 = boy
This one was also true. I had my first u/s at 8 weeks and DD's heartbeat was 76 and the u/s tech pointed to the monitor and told me "Here she is". She was right!!!

Carrying up front = girl, carrying around the waist = boy
I heard that one a least once a week in the office elevator from total strangers. People enjoyed discussing the shape of my belly in groups and coming up with gender predictions before they had to get off the elevator. Again, most of the time they were right. I carried up front and I had a girl.

Also, and this is not a tale, starting from approximately 15 weeks or so, I somehow *knew* it's a girl. I told DH, my family, everyone that I could bet all the money I had that it's a girl. DH wasn't convinced so we made a bet and I won :cheerleader1:

If you know more tales, please share.

AnnieW625
02-20-2011, 12:56 PM
With DD1 I had very little morning sickness. With the baby we lost a lot of things would make me sick. We never found out the sex although a large majority of the babies with Tri-18 are girls. With DD2 I wasn't sick either so that old wive's tale was true.

Both of my girls had somewhat low heartbeats, but also have low blood pressure (120 is high for me) so didn't pass that one.

I carried super low with DD1 and people were convinced I was having a boy. I carried DD2 higher, but still not charasterically like most people say "oh you are having a girl."

During each of my pregnancies I saw nothing in between the legs at the ultra sound so I came home and told DH I was having a girl. We didn't find out the sex any of the times I was pregnant so people were always guessing. Both times my grandma right and said I was having a girl.

kaharris83
02-20-2011, 01:07 PM
The wives tales were wrong for me. I had absolutely no nausea my entire pregnancy. DS heartbeat was 126bpm at 6 weeks 1 day. I carried him right up front. My skin was a mess, people told me he was a girl because girls steal your beauty. I knew from the moment I found out I was pregnant that I was having a boy, but people kept trying to convince me he was a she because of how I carried him and how I was feeling.

Melanie
02-20-2011, 01:32 PM
The Opposite for me. Well I felt nauseous with both, but actually got sick a lot more with Dd. The nausea magically stopped at 12 weeks, though, thank goodness! Though I remember getting sick just about anytime I had a coughing fit or ate too much too fast after being too hungry.

I don't recall the exact numbers but do remember the midwife, with my son, asking if I knew the gender when she heard the heartbeat, as if she knew BY the heartbeat. I told her that I did and she said it was true and that girls were "always in a hurry." LOL.

Well I heard down low=boy up high=girl and that was true for me as well.

The Chinese Predictor charts were also true for me.

hellokitty
02-20-2011, 02:59 PM
Actually, I have always been told that nausea = girl, not boy.

I had hyperemesis with each of my pregnancies, so you look at my sig and tell me how well that worked out. The old wives tales are crap. I don't believe them at all. I also carried my babies high and out front (from the back you couldn't tell I was pregnant).

SnuggleBuggles
02-20-2011, 03:22 PM
I had a book of 50 wives' tales for predicting gender. I didn't do all (wasn't about to mix pee and Drano) but I did most and with both boys I got a 50/50 split! So annoying.

Beth

mikeys_mom
02-20-2011, 03:38 PM
My worst nausea was with my twin girls, so that one was wrong for me.

I carried all 3 of my pregnancies really low, again that prediction would be wrong since I have 1 boy and 3 girls.

The other one I heard was bad acne during pregnancy = girl. Well, mine was bad with both DS and DD1. It was a bit better with the twins so a few people, who knew that I had it much worse my other 2 pregnancies, were predicting that I was carrying a boy and a girl and the hormones were cancelling each other out so my acne wasn't so bad. Umm, yeah...that made no sense. I had 2 girls, so in theory my acne should have been twice as bad.

I don't believe any of the old wives tales but I do get amused by how seriously people take themselves when they are trying to predict what gender you are carrying.

s7714
02-20-2011, 04:58 PM
Couldn't be farther from the truth for me! I had massive nausea with my first DD to the point I would instantly vomit if I moved. DD2 wasn't as bad, but I definitely spent a few weeks close to the bathroom. This time, with a DS, I had a teensy bit of nausea but nothing like with the other two!

I honestly have no idea. Never paid attention to the early heartbeat numbers and didn't even think to ask.

I've always heard the up high = girl vs. down low = boy version as well. All three of mine have been very up front--people always tell me I don't even look PG from the back. Both of my girls carried up high however and this little guy is definately down low. Even my DH can see the difference in how low I'm carrying this time around compared to the girls.

FTMLuc
02-20-2011, 07:53 PM
All three predictions turned out true for me. I was really nauseous only for two weeks in the early second trimester. Although everyone thought I was carrying a boy, since I somehow managed to look better pregnant then pre pregnancy, they all said that girls steal you beauty. Could have been just the happy glow that we were finally pregnant. From the first week when we found out I was pregnant both DH and I knew she was a girl, so I was worried that she would turn out to be an ugly baby, since she did not steal my beauty. :bag crazy pregnancy thoughts

Dream
02-20-2011, 09:23 PM
Well, everything you posted has been true for me, with both pregnancies.

trcy
02-21-2011, 03:49 PM
I had a girl

Not true for me

I had never heard of this before...I don't remember what her early heart rate was

I have heard the opposite-front=boy and waist=girl. I carried up front.

The chinese gender chart was right for me.

I also had 2 dreams about having a girl before I found out the gender.

luckytwenty
02-22-2011, 10:21 AM
I had two boys and a girl and they were true for me. (Only had major nausea with the girl pregnancy, and she had a higher heartbeat.) I think I looked different with the girl pregnancy (worse!!) than the boy pregnancies, and I was bigger with the boys but gained around the same amount of weight all three times.

fedoragirl
02-22-2011, 10:43 AM
Extreme nausea from 10-15 weeks with DD. I also glowed my 2nd and 3rd trimester. My skin and hair were the best they've ever been, and I've had acne since I was a teen.
This pregnancy, I have no symptoms AT ALL. I am 10 weeks. It worries me a lot but there's nothing I can do till my next appointment and the next one, and so on. Don't know the gender with this one.

BabbyO
02-22-2011, 12:36 PM
So far....

DS1 = No nausea
DS2 = a little nausea
#3 = if this is a girl I totally blow this one out of the water...I've been super sick

Heartbeat...I don't know for any of them....I don't remember early heart beat rates.

I always heard a boy= low carry; girl = higher carry. I carried both my boys low. My mom said I was having a boy both times. Don't know with this one...and its a bit early to tell if I'll carry low or high.

HIU8
02-22-2011, 02:37 PM
Totally not true for me. Sick as a dog all 9 months with DD (really until a few hours after giving birth).

I believe this was accurate.

Carried the same for both.

I had a dream that DS was a boy. I was asking to shove him back in and give me my girl. I woke up knowing DC#1 was a boy. found out a few weeks later that I was right.