PDA

View Full Version : What should I get: Air or Forever tires?

berlinsoul
02-20-2011, 01:41 PM
We found a lot of rust on the two back tires of the BJCE (2009) and our retailer offered to send us new ones and we have to give the old ones back. Now, they sent us forever tires instead of the air filled ones we had ...

Maybe some of you can help me with this:

- Has anybody compared forever tires with the air tires IRL?
I imagine the push somewhat less smooth... But maybe it#s not that big issue. Or should I rather insist getting new air filled tires? (I am leaning towards this direction.)

- The big plus on the forever tires: they don't have this little capsules, so in fact the footprint is a bit more narrow ;)

- To have two forever tires and one air filled in the front is not acceptable, right!? So if I keep them the retailer should offer to send a third one...

I am still very indecisive with this stroller so resale value is an important factor...

BTW today I saw a lot of three wheelers: MBs, Easy Walkers and TFKs... without the canopy they looked quite big, too, just ... not that TALL.

thanks so much for your input!

roseyloxs
02-20-2011, 02:54 PM
Where do you use your stroller? I think you would probably be fine with forever filled tires but maybe I am just saying that because i have had 2 flats in the past 2 weeks.

berlinsoul
02-20-2011, 03:33 PM
oh no! you poor! I have not had one single flat in our short 7 weeks BJ-use...I assume it's a PITA...

we use the stroller on bumpy pavement, streets, shops, parks, grass, snow, gravel, wood - plan to use it on the beach in summer, too. I would say: it's a "rough city"-use with occasional country visits and rare "wildness"-experiences... ;)

I plan to do some light jogging / fast walking in the coming spring, though, don't know if the tire question is also important in regard HOW the stroller is used..:15: )

not to worry about flats is attractive for sure :)

roseyloxs
02-20-2011, 03:49 PM
The flat 2 weeks ago was my first. I had used the stroller for 18 months before that with no flats. The grass here in Oklahoma is literally as tough as nails. There are these thorn like pieces laying in the grass here and have caused 2 slow leaks in my tires and 3 in my friends BOB. Its a bummer but not too bad. I took both to a local bike shop. He replaced the inner tube on the first for $4. Then he was out of stock the next time I went in but he was able to patch it for $3. Had my tire back in a few minutes the first time and a few hours the second time (only because he wanted to make sure the patch was solid before returning it to me).

berlinsoul
02-22-2011, 06:52 AM
... bump ...:wavey:
(sorry for this)

maybe someone has another opinion?

have to deal with the retailer tomorrow ...

MamaBear
02-22-2011, 12:30 PM
I've never used forever tires, but between my Cam and my UR, I've not (knocking on wood!) had any flats ever.

AnnieW625
02-22-2011, 02:37 PM
I have forever tires on my Vista and granted we used the stroller a lot for 2 yrs (we probably walked a couple hundred miles on it as DD1 preferred to the single jogger we had) and well now I really need to buy another set of forever tires for it. I love that you never have to fill the tires, but sometimes I think it would be a bit cheaper in the long run if you walk a lot to get air tires vs. forever tires (my replacement tires will be $50).

FWIW, we have air tires on our Bob Duallie and yes the push is very smooth esp. with a 40lb toddler, and a 19lb baby, it doesn't feel like that much weight. I would not want a duallie without air tires, but a single to be used in the mall/smooth and flat surfaces with forever tires is okay (which is what we will most likely be using our Vista more for now that we have the Duallie).

berlinsoul
02-22-2011, 05:20 PM
thanks you all. I will ask for a third forever tire and try to sell it then with brandnew wheels!