PDA

View Full Version : What Food Do You Crave When Backpacking/Away from Civilization?

StantonHyde
02-20-2011, 04:11 PM
Since there were many responses to the bath post that involved backpacking, sailing, camping, and we all noted that the shower and dinner afterwards was awesome--i just have to ask?

What food do you crave when "out there"?

What do you try to have as your first meal when you get out?

And..is there anybody else like me who REFUSES to use the gawd awful trailhead potties when you get out? I figure I've been peeing in the bushes for a week, I can keep doing it-I am not about to go into some hot, claustrophobic, reeking structure!!

Food: for me, it is Diet Coke. Seriously, not a hamburger, not a salad-Diet Coke. And I don't drink it much in the first place!!

Post trip meal: large salad, good restaurant burger, and beer. Then a nap ;)

cckwmh
02-20-2011, 04:19 PM
Pre-kids we would go on a 4 day canoe trip - and we always stopped for pizza on the way home (actually the first stop would be dunkin donuts- but i didn't get anything there). pizza and root beer were the first things i would eat. the weird thing is that it wasn't a good pizza place, and i wouldn't have eaten it any other time - but it was always amazing on that day.

trales
02-20-2011, 06:10 PM
I am totally with you on the outhouse thing. No way, no how. Give me the bushes any day.

As for meals, a good brewery with a pub food and beer. There are quite a few of them in NH near the mountains.

dotgirl
02-20-2011, 06:11 PM
For me it's McDonalds. I know, I know! But something about the terrible cheeseburgers and fries just says "Back to civilization!"

ellies mom
02-20-2011, 07:25 PM
I'm not the backpacking type but I love my lattes. Where my uncles live in northern VT/NH, there is no place that sells espresso drinks. At all. Period. Even Dunkin Donuts doesn't make lattes. So that is the first thing I get when I leave the area.

maestramommy
02-20-2011, 09:13 PM
Steak, baked potato. The kind of food I can't get while in the wilderness. Actually I think I did have steak once while in Joshua Tree, but it was car camping, not backpacking.

And yes, I have used bushes in favor of trailhead potties. It depends on how gross they are, and how much traffic there is;)

After a backpack, I usually want a steak and a beer. After burning all those calories, y'know:D

Penny's Pappa
02-20-2011, 10:15 PM
When my friends and I go out on a climbing/camping weekend we always stop at this little Mexican place on the way back up. After some chimichangas and a Mountain Dew I can call my weekend complete.

Unfortunately, they don't serve alcohol on Sundays so no margaritas, and the restaurant is about 2 1/2 hours from home so the drive back with a full belly is a bit exhausting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

MamaMolly
02-20-2011, 10:22 PM
:hysterical: I can't resist. I can NOT resist....we live overseas for DH's work and have experienced shortages (meaning none to be found anywhere) of everything. Milk, eggs, flour, sugar, fruit, vegetables, you name it, we have run out of it for weeks on end. I don't need a back pack to leave civilization, some days it feels like I just have to walk out my front door.

(wiping my eyes here, laughing so hard) so what do I eat when I come to the blessed land of plenty? Usually vegetables. Broccoli. I've seen it fresh twice in the farmer's market in 2 years though we can find it about every 3 months frozen at the grocery store. And salad. Buckets of fresh spring green specialty salads. We gorged on strawberries recently. And oh dear Lord in heaven, thin wheat tortillas. I can make really good tortillas but no matter how hard I try I can't get them as thin as the machines here can.

I'm not complaining, it just hit me as so completely funny. I'm honestly grateful that DH's job has opened my mind to how much of the world actually lives. It makes me much more grateful for what I have. Like American grocery stores! :)

JoyNChrist
02-20-2011, 10:29 PM
Soda. And I'm not a big soda drinker. But I always, always start craving them if I'm somewhere and don't have access to them.

Melaine
02-20-2011, 10:30 PM
Hmmm....is it weird that I can't answer because I've never been away from civilization?