PDA

View Full Version : Why are cupcakes expensive?

BabyMine
02-20-2011, 04:49 PM
We went to a farmers market and a business was selling tiny cupcakes. 1 was $1.75 or 4/$5.00. Normal sizes started at $2.75. I just don't understand it.

TwinFoxes
02-20-2011, 04:51 PM
Because they're trendy and people will pay it. If you're paying $4 for a large latte, $2.75 for a cupcake seems reasonable! ;)

LMPC
02-20-2011, 04:52 PM
Things that are fashionable tend to be more expensive. :shrug: Hopefully, if they are into the cupcake business, their cupcakes are extra tasty and don't seem like something you can do at home.

hellokitty
02-20-2011, 04:55 PM
Because they're trendy and people will pay it. If you're paying $4 for a large latte, $2.75 for a cupcake seems reasonable! ;)

:yeahthat:

Corie
02-20-2011, 04:58 PM
Because they're trendy

Exactly! Just check out the Food Network show called "Cupcake Wars".

I love that show!!

JTsMom
02-20-2011, 05:27 PM
If they are elaborately decorated, that would come into play too- lots of labor.

4Myluvbugs
02-20-2011, 05:31 PM
Because they're trendy!

Jacksmommy2b
02-20-2011, 05:43 PM
At our farmers market they are 2 for $5, which I thought was insane until J begged me into one and I tried her key lime pie cupcake. Vanilla cake, lime curd filling, key lime buttercreme frosting rolled in graham cracker dust, garnished with a tiny lime wedge.
I will never buy more than one to share with J as I just might eat them until I was sick and/or the size of a house.

$2.50 :bowdown:is a bargain :)

SnuggleBuggles
02-20-2011, 05:46 PM
Like others said, because they can be.

Macaroons are supposed to be the up and comer, destined to dethrone cupcakes as the top treat (or so says the people who are pushing macaroons, probably :))

Once I saw that the calorie count on boutique cupcakes is like 400-600 calories, I stopped ever getting them!

Beth

kijip
02-20-2011, 05:47 PM
I think this is a trend that has seen its height and we are going to see a lot of different cupcake bakeries close shop in the next few years. We have far too many cupcake places here. And $3-4 is the standard price, with $1.50-$2 for tiny ones. If you think about it bakeries usually charge $3-5 for a cake slice and that is about the same thing. $4-8+ for dessert out at a restaurant. Once people are on a show making pork slider and ox tails cupcakes in a "cupcake war", then you know food hipsters are moving on to something else.

In Seattle, the supposed new trend is pie shops. We will see.

Roleysmom
02-20-2011, 05:50 PM
Yep, because as others said they are super trendy right now. A Crumbs opened up right near my office. Oh my. Really not what I needed. The big ones range from $3.75 to $4.25. The smallish ones are $2.50 and they are what I would term a regular cupcake size. I just went to Georgetown Cupcakes of the DC Cupcakes TLC show fame and I think they are upwards of $4. Much smaller than Crumbs. But (marginally) tastier.

crispychicky
02-20-2011, 06:27 PM
I think this is a trend that has seen its height and we are going to see a lot of different cupcake bakeries close shop in the next few years. We have far too many cupcake places here. And $3-4 is the standard price, with $1.50-$2 for tiny ones. If you think about it bakeries usually charge $3-5 for a cake slice and that is about the same thing. $4-8+ for dessert out at a restaurant. Once people are on a show making pork slider and ox tails cupcakes in a "cupcake war", then you know food hipsters are moving on to something else.

:yeahthat: I've heard pies are the next big thing too. They're similar to cupcakes in that there are lots of possibilities for different flavors and textures. The sky's the limit when it comes to creativity.

Now is not the time to invest in a cupcake shop! That trend has about run its course.

Gracemom
02-20-2011, 07:27 PM
Are they mini-pies? Because I think the appeal of the cupcake is that it is a portable, one serving treat. And they're cute. Sprinkles cupcakes here are $3.25.

dcmom2b3
02-20-2011, 11:25 PM

Here too. We have our first pie shop just blocks from my house, and it receives rave reviews. I'm in denial about its existence; the only thing standing between me and obesity is culinary laziness. If I could buy good pie rather than having to make it? Bad scene.

Did I mention that they also make quiche? Eeek! Help!

We have too many cupcake shops here, too, many with insane prices and precious or outlandish ingredients. I can't say that I've ever craved a bitter chocolate chili/cumin cupcake with mole frosting. Or anything with rosewater. But I could probably single-handedly support a burgeoning pie business. MH's own little stimulus package . . .

sunshine873
02-21-2011, 07:58 AM
I agree that there is a lot of labor in cupcakes. Every time I set out to make them, I'm amazed with how much time it ends up taking between baking, cooling and decorating. Pies sounds like a fun new trend to me - I love pies! Love baking them - love eating them even more!!!

Corie
02-21-2011, 08:58 AM
Once people are on a show making pork slider and ox tails cupcakes in a "cupcake war", then you know food hipsters are moving on to something else.

I saw that episode!!!

They aren't moving on quite yet though. The winners of these
Cupcake Wars get to take their cupcakes/display to a pre-determined
location with lots of people. One winner got to take her cupcakes
to the Grammy's. There were some big names eating her cupcakes.

connor_mommy
02-21-2011, 09:51 PM
A new trend just started in the Bay Area and there aren't too many around yet...it's bundt cakes, single serve bundt cakes (bundtletes) and single bite ones (bundtinis).

Indianamom2
02-21-2011, 10:14 PM
Well, apparently I'm just not living in the right place. I can't think of a single cupcake place anywhere remotely near where I live.

So apparently there's at least one more area for the cupcake bakeries to expand! But it wouldn't be good for me...

kijip
02-21-2011, 10:24 PM
I saw that episode!!!

They aren't moving on quite yet though. The winners of these
Cupcake Wars get to take their cupcakes/display to a pre-determined
location with lots of people. One winner got to take her cupcakes
to the Grammy's. There were some big names eating her cupcakes.

Big people eating them now, means that the foodies are declaring it over. Like bacon everything from years ago. Or donuts. Or fried everything sweet. Once it is popular/big, it is suddenly considered less trendy. Such a stupid world we live in fad wise, right? It's like fashion, by the time everyone is wearing it the trendsetters have moved far on.

crl
02-21-2011, 10:48 PM
Well, I like pie, but I agree it doesn't have the portability of a cupcake. And not as pretty either. And isn't a mini bundt cake the same thing as a cupcake?

How about milkshakes for the next trendy thing?

Catherine

TwinFoxes
02-21-2011, 11:37 PM

Catherine

Don't give away your million dollar idea! That's brilliant!

scriptkitten
02-22-2011, 12:03 AM
i think the cupcakes are $3/each in the bakeries around here.

Gracemom
02-22-2011, 08:26 AM
Well, I like pie, but I agree it doesn't have the portability of a cupcake. And not as pretty either. And isn't a mini bundt cake the same thing as a cupcake?

Catherine

The Purple Cow here has great milkshakes! Purple vanilla for the kids, and alcoholic ones with Kahlua, Amaretto, etc. for the adults. Yeah!

Corie
02-22-2011, 09:19 AM

Catherine

How about really big a$$es for the next trendy thing? If so,
then I'm a fashionista. :)

BabyMine
02-22-2011, 11:37 PM
Has anyone had the pie cake?

http://www.delish.com/food/recalls-reviews/cherpumple-thanksgiving-dessert-turducken

crl
02-22-2011, 11:49 PM
How about really big a$$es for the next trendy thing? If so,
then I'm a fashionista. :)

No money in that business model, limit one to a customer. :rotflmao:

Catherine

crl
02-22-2011, 11:50 PM
Has anyone had the pie cake?

http://www.delish.com/food/recalls-reviews/cherpumple-thanksgiving-dessert-turducken

I love dessert, but that actually sounds disgusting.

Catherine