PDA

View Full Version : Weekend from hell (long)

weech
02-20-2011, 07:35 PM
DH is on a ski trip. He's gone Fri - Tues. I know some of you mamas out there do it all yourselves, but wow. I honestly do not think I could. This is the first time DH has gone out of town since we had DS and it is SO HARD being a single mom. DS is teething, and while he's usually the most pleasant, happy little guy on the planet, he's been super upset and clingy for the past two days. I went to my parent's house yesterday thinking that they could/would help me out and they always say they don't get to spend enough time with DS - so kill two birds with one stone, right?

WRONG. My dad spends hours doing laundry, running errands and sitting in his office. My mom (who can't help much because of her stroke) was a little more engaged, but was still reading the paper and doing various other things instead of spending time with DS. Do they complain that they don't see him enough just so they SOUND like good grandparents? What am I missing? I literally BEGGED my dad to let me take a nap, handed DS off and went upstairs. Within 20 minutes DS was screaming and I go downstairs to see my dad holding him like "umm... what do I do?" As soon as I came over, he handed DS back and laid down on the couch and fell asleep. Seriously, dad? SERIOUSLY?!

So I was livid. DS finally went to bed, so I had to stay the night like I'd planned. He ended up waking about 5 times during the night. I can count the number of times that's happened on one hand. Then he gets up for good at 5:45a and I storm out the door and go home. I feel bad for storming out, but it really hurt my feelings. My dad talks a lot of crap like "We're always here to help" and "I want my grandson to know me, why don't you bring him over more often?" blah blah blah. But when it comes down to it, it's just talk.

I spent the entire day today trying to keep the little guy happy :( I feel so bad for him because there are just some things mamas can't help with. Every time I did anything he didn't like, it was IMMEDIATE screams. He usually naps for about 3 hours and he slept for about 50 minutes total. So not like him, so I know he was really having a tough day. You and me both, buddy.

He's finally asleep for the night, and now I can breathe. I totally adore my DS and love every minute I get to spend with him, but MAN DH owes me big time! I'm glad he's with his buddies having fun, so I came here to unload and get this off my chest. DH can hear all about my misadventures once he gets home and it's all hilarious in hindsight.

(and kudos to all the mamas who do this regularly - you are amazing :bowdown:)

Kymberley
02-20-2011, 07:43 PM
:hug: I know it's overwhelming and HARD work, but you're doing great! I hope you have a peaceful evening!