PDA

View Full Version : Happy Update: So mad at my mom right now...

veronica
02-21-2011, 12:28 PM
update marked at end of this post in red....

I usually don't like to air our my problems but man, she just ticked me off today.

A little background, my parents are from a different country. They don't really understand a lot of the customs/traditions here but have learned a lot through the years.

I'm 24 weeks into this pregnancy. It hasn't been an easy one and it has been very emotional for me, for a lot of different reasons.

My mom just asked about a throwing me a shower. I told her that I didn't really want to plan my own shower, and with twins, it's a bit late to get this started. She said that a friend of hers had mentioned I should have a shower since we are having twins. My moms reply? "oh, I mentioned it to her a while ago but she hasn't done anything about it." It's like she is fine if it doesn't happen but doesn't want to be on the hook for it not happening, that would be my fault.

I know she doesn't know to call places, or get invites, etc. But, she could have at least asked DH. DH knows I would have loved a shower to help with all of the "twin" things we weren't planning on. but, it's so late now, I feel like I don't want to burden him (he is working on the nursery, taking care of DD and DS as much as possible, working FT and dealing with his mother, who entering the advanced stages of alzheimer's).

Then, she proceeds to say, "well, all of your friends live so far (2hrs) and they have kids, so they wouldn't come. who would come?" So, now I have to plan my own shower for my imaginary friends.

And furthermore, while DH and I could really use some help with the extra gear we would like, I would just like to have some sort of celebration of the miracle that has happened to us. We had nothing for DS and I feel horrible, especially after being told he wouldn't be born. I was just relieved to have him. But, naturally conceiving twins is pretty darn cool and I'd love to celebrate it somehow. My mom is a twin so it is so neat to have it carry in our family.

sorry for the typos but I'm so mad that my mom made me cry today!!!!

UPDATE 2/26: So DH and I talked. He has been working on it all week with my mom and some friend's help. I offered to help but he has it all covered. I'm so happy. I told him that the most important thing to me is to have my three best college friends be able to attend that day. I've had some depression issues with the pregnancy that I have only really shared with them and it would mean the world to me. It sounds like it may be in the near future as he made me do a registry online at BRU last night! DH and I find ourselves getting caught up in the fear of having twins , that a celebration will be so nice for the both of us.

bonus: we had an ultrasound yesterday and all looks great. The boys are both measuring fantastic and equal and are both thriving. Now....the stretchmarks on my belly, those are thriving too:jammin:.

Thanks guys, for cheering me up when I was down. It means more than you know :)

momm
02-21-2011, 12:49 PM
Aww I'm sorry

:hug:

You totally deserve a shower

I wish I could throw you one

SnuggleBuggles
02-21-2011, 01:26 PM
24 weeks isn't too late. :) Send out evites (honestly, they are fine!) and, heck, you can even just order a cake and have it at home.

Very frustrating though. :(

Beth

hellokitty
02-21-2011, 01:34 PM
24 weeks isn't too late. :) Send out evites (honestly, they are fine!) and, heck, you can even just order a cake and have it at home.

Beth

:yeahthat: I also understand what it is like to have parents (and in laws) who are from another country and don't understand american culture or traditions. Is there any way that you can pr your mom up with a siblings or cousin who can help keep her on track with the planning? My mom had this bright idea to throw my sil a baby shower (sil's family is even more clueless than ours when it comes to american culture), but then she had my brother (father-to-be) organize the games?!?! I thought that was very odd. To my mom it was not odd, b/c she doesn't have a clue how to throw a shower and even after having been to other baby showers before, just never seemed to clue in on how things are supposed to be. I really hope you get a nice shower, you deserve it, but yeah, I can see why it's stressful to have to plan it yourself.

ThreeofUs
02-21-2011, 01:53 PM
Oh, honey, I'm so sorry! :hug::hug:

ITA with PP's. Have a shower, or call up a good friend and cry on their shoulder about your mom and ask if they'll help.

I'd throw you a shower myself, if I were there!

Congratulations on your pregnancy!

Fairy
02-21-2011, 02:02 PM
I'm so sorry, Veronica. :hug:

How about this. Can you have a shower after the babies are born? Jews don't tend to have them beforehand, so it can be done! Mine was a month later. Planning your own shower is really ugh for you at this stabe, and not ettiquette-friendly, but I get your situation, totally, and I think the concept of you having to do any of this yourself right now is totally unfair, not to mention unrealistic. What about after? You could do some conceptual planning now with a guest list and collect all the contact info, maybe reserve a simple room at a restaurant, and begin registering online. Then after the babies are born you (notyou, but your mom or family member or beg a friend) could send the invites and then just simply show up. Then let mom pay for it :wink2:

veronica
02-21-2011, 02:39 PM
DH and I spoke this morning and he said he is going to tap into some of his friends and get it going. I'm scared that he is doing too much though.

Beth

Sadly, I only have an older brother and two cousins that both live several states away. My BFF just gave birth and her DD has some medical issues , plus she lives far from me too. My friends, who are closer in distance, are not likely up for planning the whole thing either.

:yeahthat: I also understand what it is like to have parents (and in laws) who are from another country and don't understand american culture or traditions. Is there any way that you can pr your mom up with a siblings or cousin who can help keep her on track with the planning? My mom had this bright idea to throw my sil a baby shower (sil's family is even more clueless than ours when it comes to american culture), but then she had my brother (father-to-be) organize the games?!?! I thought that was very odd. To my mom it was not odd, b/c she doesn't have a clue how to throw a shower and even after having been to other baby showers before, just never seemed to clue in on how things are supposed to be. I really hope you get a nice shower, you deserve it, but yeah, I can see why it's stressful to have to plan it yourself.

My BFF offered but I feel bad. I just spoke with DH and he is going to get the ball rolling on something.

Oh, honey, I'm so sorry! :hug::hug:

ITA with PP's. Have a shower, or call up a good friend and cry on their shoulder about your mom and ask if they'll help.

I'd throw you a shower myself, if I were there!

Congratulations on your pregnancy!

Great Idea. but,I am afraid to take on too much after the boys are born. With the threat of preemie's higher, I don't want to rely labor/delivery being anywhere near normal.

I'm so sorry, Veronica. :hug:

How about this. Can you have a shower after the babies are born? Jews don't tend to have them beforehand, so it can be done! Mine was a month later. Planning your own shower is really ugh for you at this stabe, and not ettiquette-friendly, but I get your situation, totally, and I think the concept of you having to do any of this yourself right now is totally unfair, not to mention unrealistic. What about after? You could do some conceptual planning now with a guest list and collect all the contact info, maybe reserve a simple room at a restaurant, and begin registering online. Then after the babies are born you (notyou, but your mom or family member or beg a friend) could send the invites and then just simply show up. Then let mom pay for it :wink2:

It wouldn't let me quote everyone at once, but thanks so much for the kind words. It's been an emotional roller coaster ride for a while for us so it's nice to be able to vent.

veronica
02-26-2011, 10:44 AM
bump for quick update.

thanks guys.
:22:

hellokitty
02-26-2011, 11:38 AM
Veronica, I'm so happy to hear that your baby boys are healthy and that your DH is on the ball with getting things rolling. :bighand:

TwinFoxes
02-26-2011, 12:12 PM
I only read this after the update. I'm so glad you get to celebrate. Twins are definitely worth celebrating!

liz
02-26-2011, 02:18 PM
I am happy to hear that things are looking up!

jenmcadams
02-27-2011, 10:27 AM
YEA!!! :applause: I completely understand the feeling of wanting a get together to celebrate...so glad it looks like it's going to happen

momm
02-27-2011, 01:45 PM
:cheerleader1: Yayyyyyyyyyyy I'm so happy for you! You deserve it!

citymama
02-27-2011, 02:41 PM
I just read this. I'm so glad the babies are looking well and that you'll have a chance to celebrate them! Hurray! If you ever need to vent or are feeling low, don't hesitate to check in w us or email me! Hugs.

Uno-Mom
02-27-2011, 06:33 PM
Give your DH a high five from all of us. Good on him!

I never paid attention to the etiquette of showers. I'm with you that it's so great to just celebrate the coming kiddo. And the gifts are a blessing, too. But even if I didn't need gifts, I'd want to party in celebration!