PDA

View Full Version : Help me - What is the law say about Pumping in restrooms?

BabbyO
02-21-2011, 01:07 PM
Please remind me has legislation been passed already that prohibits employers from requiring breastfeeding women to pump in the restroom? I thought it had, but maybe it is in the process of being passed.

Anyone know the scoop and willing to share supporting info?

TIA!

sophiesmom03
02-21-2011, 02:18 PM
I am not sure about laws but I fought this a few years ago at my place of work. The HR rep suggested that I go and pump in the restroom and I invited her to join me in there for lunch while I do so. That very quickly changed her tune and she found that she could vacate her office, and also got a couple of other volunteers who had offices that they could vacate, then I'd send them "meeting appts" for a half hour, 3x/day. It was surprising how many people were very willing to accommodate - they were not even all parents.

Good luck, and I hope there IS a law, but if not I think you can probably make a convincing case for yourself.

BabbyO
02-21-2011, 02:22 PM
Thankfully I work for a very family friendly company and never had to deal with this. Ironically the office manager (who is the MOST supportive guy ever) mentioned that his daughter is going back to work and she is being confronted with this.

There is a law...and I found it while eating my lunch.

I just wanted to share with him so he could pass it along to his daughter. He's made working so far from home not only bearable, but pleasureable.

In case anyone else runs into this...this was the best link I found.

http://www.ncsl.org/IssuesResearch/Health/BreastfeedingLaws/tabid/14389/Default.aspx

ladysoapmaker
02-21-2011, 03:53 PM
http://www.ncsl.org/IssuesResearch/Health/BreastfeedingLaws/tabid/14389/Default.aspx

THank you for this link. I know several folks who are still breastfeeding and every so often are given grief when they breastfeed in public in Kentucky. It's nice to have the statute to back them up on their rights.

The sad part is we have to have state laws stating that it's our right to breastfeed or express where ever we need to.

Jen

daisymommy
02-21-2011, 07:13 PM
I think it's sad and frustrating that an employer must have 50+ employees for this law to be mandated. So that means all the minimum age workers at places such as fast food restaurants, who really need to save their hard earned money rather than wasting it on formula, will not be protected by this new law :(

gatorsmom
02-21-2011, 07:20 PM
I think it's sad and frustrating that an employer must have 50+ employees for this law to be mandated. So that means all the minimum age workers at places such as fast food restaurants, who really need to save their hard earned money rather than wasting it on formula, will not be protected by this new law :(

I agree with you on that. Some small business owners really do need protection from some employment laws that would create a hardship for their businesses. But pumping and expressing? I haven't read the law, but there are CERTAINLY ways to protect bfing and expressing moms that wouldn't have to put a hardship on small employers.