PDA

View Full Version : Pittsburgh with 2 kids help

nathethegreatsmom
02-21-2011, 01:31 PM
Help, my husband has to go to Pittsburgh for 2 day on business. The kids and are going with him to enjoy the hotel with pool. I am definitely going to take them to the Children's museum, but wondering if it is just too cold for the zoo. Will we see any animals? Besides the aquarium, is there places to get warm? We live in the Detroit area so we have a nice zoo, so just wondering if it will be worth going.

Does anybody have any other ideas for something fun to do for one parent with 2 very active boys 5 and under? Thanks

TamiRuns
02-21-2011, 02:43 PM
When will you be traveling? It's cold here now and will be for a while. If we're very lucky, we may get a sunny 40 degree day this time of year. We don't visit the zoo this time of year but it would be a good idea to tire out the kiddos if its warm enough. Our boys spend maybe 30 minutes in the aquarium, max. There are other indoor areas but I'd skip the zoo unless its a nice sunny day.

At the Childrens Museum, there is a whole level of water play. My boys can spend all day there- seriously. Its awesome. Tip- you may want to take a change of clothes and crocs (or water sandals). They have crocs and raincoats available but having your own is much better. And raincoats don't cut it- your kids will get wet. And they'll love it! You could spend a whole day seeing the rest of the museum....there's an area where my boys could spend all day building, using tools, tinkering.

Our boys like to ride the incline. Google "Station Square"- its an indoor mall (with adjacent hotels and restaurants) along the river and you can catch the incline there. At the top, walk to the overlook and take some pics. There's a few ice cream shops and a cool toy store in the mall.

There's the Carnegie Science Center with Imax theater but not sure if that's good for their age.

Someone else will hopefully chime in. If you have specific questions, I'll try to help. We live 25 miles north of the city but I went to Pitt and lived in the 'Burgh for several years.

Have a great trip!

nathethegreatsmom
02-21-2011, 03:09 PM
Thanks for the info on the zoo. We are going to be in Pittsburgh area this Wednesday and Thursday, so looks like the zoo is going off the list. The Station sounds like something they would like though. Thanks for the input. I think they will be just be happy for the change of scenery and the indoor pool at the hotel. Thanks again.

TamiRuns
02-21-2011, 03:19 PM
Thanks for the info on the zoo. We are going to be in Pittsburgh area this Wednesday and Thursday, so looks like the zoo is going off the list. The Station sounds like something they would like though. Thanks for the input. I think they will be just be happy for the change of scenery and the indoor pool at the hotel. Thanks again.

Don't rule out the zoo....those are the 2 nicest days this week if you believe the 5 day forecast. Its supposed to be sunny and 40 on Wednesday. It would also be a nice day to visit Station Square and ride the incline. Enjoy!