PDA

View Full Version : Is a vacuum ever better than a broom for dust?

nupe
02-21-2011, 04:20 PM
I've always thought a broom was better than my vacuum for wood floors. I've been using a broom for years and I'm reluctant anyway to use my upright on my wood floors (risk of scratches). I'm going to try a canister vac (less risk of scratching since the vaccum head is lightweight), but I wonder what you think is the best way to remove dust from a wood floor.

edurnemk
02-21-2011, 05:02 PM
I've always though the opposite. I feel that sweeping lifts part of the dust into the air, and then you breath it or it settles back after a while. I feel the vacuum does a better job. We've always had vacuums with HEPA filters, so I know it's not throwing back out. DS and I have respiratory allergies so I always look for vacuums with HEPA filters, recommended by the allergist, etc.

Since we have a mixture of hardwood, tile and carpet, we got the Dyson Animal with the optional Asthma & allergy accessories. It hasn't scratched my floors. If I had only hardwood, I'd get a Miele canister.

For quick everyday cleanup, we have the Electrolux Ergorapido cordless stick vac, best alternative to a broom EVER. It's light and picks up quite a bit of stuff.

nupe
02-23-2011, 10:32 PM
Hmm, thanks for your input, I was raised in a broom friendly household. I never would have thought to vacuum over hard surfaces as a youngster!

We have the Ergorapido too. I think it's great for quick pickups! I am a bit bothered by the bagless nature of it though and didn't htink it was designed for regular cleaning, more like a dustbuster.

Trying the Electrolux ergospace green (has bags and hepa filter) on hardwoods and so far so good. I think I like it better than a broom, but it is still harder to get out and set up compared to a broom /dustpan.

edurnemk
02-23-2011, 10:37 PM
Trying the Electrolux ergospace green (has bags and hepa filter) on hardwoods and so far so good. I think I like it better than a broom, but it is still harder to get out and set up compared to a broom /dustpan.

I have mine on it's base in a corner in the kitchen by the pantry all the time. So I just grab it and use it, no setup required. When the battery is running low I connect the base to the outlet that's right beside it.

nupe
03-12-2011, 10:52 PM
So far so good on the Electrolux ergospace green in terms of getting dust. I did have to find a closet in which to store it.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11608589

bigsis
03-13-2011, 11:34 AM
Sorry to hijack the post, but can you pls tell me what kind of broom you use? I'm from broom-friendly home myself and I don't have one b/c I can't find one I like. Meanwhile I don't like lugging around a big vacuum and I have tiles and I don't believe it gets the grout as clean.

TIA!

vludmilla
03-13-2011, 01:22 PM
We have all hardwoods except for tile in bathrooms and some area rugs. We love our ErgoRapido and keep it in the front closet for easy access. We also have a Miele canister that works beautifully for getting all the dust up. The ErgoRapido is pretty good at getting the dust up too though and it is super easy to grab it and use it. I would say it is even more convenient than a broom and probably more effective.

nupe
03-13-2011, 03:33 PM
Sorry to hijack the post, but can you pls tell me what kind of broom you use? I'm from broom-friendly home myself and I don't have one b/c I can't find one I like. Meanwhile I don't like lugging around a big vacuum and I have tiles and I don't believe it gets the grout as clean.

TIA!

I really love the Libman brooms, large angle precision and extra large angle precision styles. I like the ones that come with the matching dustpan that clips right on.

nupe
03-13-2011, 03:34 PM
Victoria:
I do like the ergorapido for quick cleanups, but we have so much hardwood, I think it would burn the little thing out to use it all the time. Mine is still pretty new and I wonder how long it will continue to work this well, based on some of my prior vacs. And I hate bagless due to my allergies.

eh613c
03-13-2011, 11:33 PM
Have you tried the Swiffer Vac? It works great on my hardwood floor.

nupe
03-15-2011, 09:13 PM
No I haven't tried the swiffer vac...