PDA

View Full Version : What stretch mark lotion/cream/butter do/did you use?

star04
02-21-2011, 05:47 PM
Looking for something that works, doesn't smell too bad, and isn't extrememly greasy. This is for during pregnancy. Thanks!

edurnemk
02-21-2011, 06:21 PM
I used almond oil, every morning and every night in addition to my regular moisturizer lotion, and I didn't get a single stretch mark. My OB said it's mostly genetic, my mom didn't get stretch marks either, and also DS was born at 38 weeks and I wasn't too big, so maybe it's not just due to the Almond Oil.

Myira
02-21-2011, 09:07 PM
This is what I have just started using - http://www.amazon.com/Motherlove-Pregnant-Belly-Salve-4oz/dp/B0001OOAII. Its a 0 on the skindeep database so I feel safe using it and isn't greasy.

twotimesblue
02-21-2011, 11:24 PM
I had a 9-and-a-half pound baby and my belly was so big I often got asked if I was having twins! I used Bio Oil religiously, from the 10th week on, and was lucky enough to not get a single stretch mark (to my total amazement, I have to say!). I think genetics play a part, but I do think the oil helped as it kept my skin really moisturized

bubbaray
02-21-2011, 11:53 PM
None. My dermatologist told me it was a waste of money, either you get SMs or you don't.

I gained 60+lbs with DD#1 and was MASSIVE. Seriously. HUGE. No SMs. I gained 45+lbs with DD#2 and again, no SMs.

brittone2
02-22-2011, 12:53 AM
I had no stretchmarks at all up until maybe 36-37 weeks. My midwife commented how I was so lucky. And wham, they all showed up like a week later LOL. I gained about 38 lbs in each pregnancy (spot on for all 3 pretty much), and I'm about 5'3" with a short torso, so my belly goes waaaay out in front of me.

I never used any cream. If my belly felt dry/itchy I used coconut or jojoba oil because that's what I use on the rest of my body. But I didn't do it to try to prevent stretch marks.

daisymommy
02-22-2011, 09:59 AM
I was told the same thing by a dermatologist, that it is genetics and your own skin composition. She said if someone had really figured out how to prevent them, they would be the richest person on earth by now :)

That said, I still tried something different with each pregnancy, just to see if I could help matters any.
#1 Palmers Coco-butter stretch mark cream
#2 Bio Oil
#3 Burts Bees Mama Belly cream

My skin was nice and soft, I only gained 25 lbs. with each baby, and still had stretch marks everywhere in the 3rd trimester.

Luckily they have faded considerably after each baby, and they are not very noticeable at all. But yeah, I think either you are blessed with no SM or you aren't, and nothing you buy truly will change that. It may help you feel more comfortable in your own skin though to help prevent dryness and itchiness that can drive you nuts towards the end.

edurnemk
02-22-2011, 10:06 AM
None. My dermatologist told me it was a waste of money, either you get SMs or you don't.

My OB even cited a study where cheap lotions did a much better job of moisturizing than really expensive ones. He said not to fall for the marketing, that any moisturizing lotion worked just as well, and that buying SM lotion is a waste of money. He even recommended just slathering my belly with vaseline every night. But did emphasize that it's mostly genetics.

I gained less than 20 pounds, got no SM in my belly, but strangely I got SM on my breasts (I went up a size and a half in bra size by the time I was 10 weeks PG). Thankfully now they're gone.

luckytwenty
02-22-2011, 10:19 AM
I got a ton with my first pregnancy and used cocoa butter every day. I think I'm just prone to them. Fortunately didn't get many new ones with second & third pregnancy. I liked how they "disappeared" while I was pregnant again and my skin re-stretched itself!

fedoragirl
02-22-2011, 10:41 AM
Just an FYI for moms who look out for such stuff: the cocoa butter is full of parabens and phtalates. I used it a few times and realized that I was putting all these chemicals on my skin.
I used Weleda pregnancy oil. However, I ended up getting stretch marks at 38 weeks because I was huge. They are not bad and I don't worry about them. I am not using anything with this pregnancy and if I need something soft, I'll just use sesame seed oil which softens the skin and doesn't smell at all. I use cooking grade oils because they are the next best thing to organic.

HonoluluMom
02-22-2011, 07:15 PM
Tummy Honey.

http://www.amazon.com/Bella-Tummy-Honey-Cream/dp/B0007V9API

Lupe
02-22-2011, 08:39 PM
Hi,
The sad thing is that whether or not you will get them is largely genetic, but it doesn't hurt to try to prevent them. Not gaining too much weight is the best way actually.

In any case I am a big lotion addict, so after doing my research I used LIERAC phytolastil once a day:
http://www.amazon.com/LIERAC-Paris-Phytolastil-Gel-3-54/dp/B000WLXVPI/ref=pd_sim_hpc_1

it has some pretty impressive testing behind it and you can get it at CVS here. I also use Jergens firming body lotion twice a day on top of that, but I've always done that. I tried the cocoa butter but it makes you really sticky and it made me more itchy.

I am almost 40 weeks and no stretch marks, but my mom didn't have any on her stomach after 3 kids.
Now I am looking for a firming lotion for afterward....

ahrimie
02-22-2011, 08:55 PM
I just used what we had at home: cetaphil cream and aquaphor. I did use it religiously in the beginning but neglected myself the last 2 months. Coincidentally, I started getting SM's then. I thought I would be immune to them because my mom doesn't have them.. but come to think of it, my skin in general is unlike hers. I am much more like my dad's sisters in skin tone and body type; they have SM's. :(

etaylor75
02-22-2011, 10:30 PM
I've used Mothers Special Blend oil all three pregnancies and no stretch marks :)

http://www.mothersspecialblend.com/

Erin

eh613c
02-28-2011, 07:11 PM
I used Palmer's Organic Coco Butter Lotion. It's not that greasy and smelled really nice (almost like vanilla).

♥ms.pacman♥
02-28-2011, 07:15 PM
with my first pregnancy i used Palmer's Organics cocoa butter massage cream for stretch marks. i mainly used it bc towards the end it was wintertime and the skin on my tummy was especially dry & itchy. i ended up not getting any stretch marks on my tummy at all (gained 30 lbs), but i don't think that's because of the cream i used...i think i was just lucky.

With this 2nd pregnancy, i barely used any stretchmark cream bc i just never find the time to put it on. and plus, i don't think it really makes a difference. even though this time around i almost never used the cream, at 34 weeks i still don't have any stretch marks on my tummy (i totally have them on my boobs though.. :()