PDA

View Full Version : Jedi training

cono0507
02-21-2011, 10:43 PM
We already hit DHS earlier this week but ds was to shy to want to sign up
For Jedi training. Now he wants to and we have to make it happen tomorrow as we fly out tomorrow evening. A CM told us to go to the Jedi training area first thing when the park opens. Any other tips? We plan to be there at rope drop. How early before opening time should we arrive? Would appreciate any advice to maximize our chances of getting a spot! :)

billysmommy
02-21-2011, 10:49 PM
We already hit DHS earlier this week but ds was to shy to want to sign up
For Jedi training. Now he wants to and we have to make it happen tomorrow as we fly out tomorrow evening. A CM told us to go to the Jedi training area first thing when the park opens. Any other tips? We plan to be there at rope drop. How early before opening time should we arrive? Would appreciate any advice to maximize our chances of getting a spot! :)

We were there the end of Jan. We got to DHS about 15 minutes before rope drop. We were through the gates and up around Hollywood & Vine at rope drop. We walked fairly fast over to the sign ups and the boys were the 9th and 10th kids signed up for the first show (9:55).

Just remember to stay to the L side as you walk up to the hat so you're on the correct side of the street.

Have fun!!!

cono0507
02-21-2011, 11:16 PM
So you were able to enter the park before rope drop? I had envisioned standing outside the entrance until that time. Good to know. I hope we can make this happen for him. We can only do the first four shows before we have to fly out. How many kids per show?

HannaAddict
02-22-2011, 03:08 AM
We had better luck going to the Jedi training after the first show. We were there early but not chosen the first time, many tears. The next show was far less crowded, multiple days we were there. He was chosen and loved it and was up on the stage with the main characters, in the blazing sun, but happy. I would avoid the first show of they day since everyone has the same idea. (I read a thread saying this too on one of the Disney boards.)

billysmommy
02-22-2011, 06:38 AM
So you were able to enter the park before rope drop? I had envisioned standing outside the entrance until that time. Good to know. I hope we can make this happen for him. We can only do the first four shows before we have to fly out. How many kids per show?

They had opened the gates right as we got there and had the ropes up by the hat. They did the little opening show there and then dropped the ropes. There are about 15 kids for each show so you should definitely make one of the first 4. He'll have so much fun!!!

billysmommy
02-22-2011, 06:44 AM
We had better luck going to the Jedi training after the first show. We were there early but not chosen the first time, many tears. The next show was far less crowded, multiple days we were there. He was chosen and loved it and was up on the stage with the main characters, in the blazing sun, but happy. I would avoid the first show of they day since everyone has the same idea. (I read a thread saying this too on one of the Disney boards.)

They've changed the way they pick the kids. Now you go and sign up for a show instead of being picked from the audience. They fill the shows in order so if you want the first shows you have to go right at rope drop. I really like it this way as the kids know they'll be in a show and you can go enjoy the park until just before your show time.

cono0507
02-22-2011, 07:25 AM
Thanks! Will let you know how it goes! :)

AngelaS
02-22-2011, 08:19 AM
We were just there two weeks ago and yes, go there first. :) We had to wait in the sign up line probably 20 minutes and my girls were in the 11:45 show--they do fill up fast! And--you sign up in front of Star Tours---it wasn't on the map of where to go.

Raidra
02-22-2011, 08:58 AM
They've changed the way they pick the kids. Now you go and sign up for a show instead of being picked from the audience. They fill the shows in order so if you want the first shows you have to go right at rope drop. I really like it this way as the kids know they'll be in a show and you can go enjoy the park until just before your show time.

I'm so glad they changed it, too! I had been worried that they'd pick one of my boys and not the other.. this way is much better, I think. The kids and I will be heading to sign up first thing, while my husband goes to get FPs for TSM.

Twoboos
02-22-2011, 10:27 AM
Very timely, a friend is going to WDW and I told her about Jedi Training. We were trying to figure out how it works. This thread gave more info than the Disney website!! Thank you!! :cheerleader1:

cono0507
02-22-2011, 05:18 PM
Success!!!
Today is a high volume 10/10 day at the parks so we arrived at DHS one hour before open. We stood second in line at the turnstiles until about a quarter till. Then they let us through the turnstiles and we waited in line behind the rope about halfway to the sorcerers hat. Then at rope drop a CM with a light saber guided us to the star tours area and we got in line. DS was number 13 in the first show. There were easily over 100+ in line behind us when we got ours and many didn't get to do it. DS LOVED it. This was the highlight of the trip for him. What a great experience!
Thanks for the info!!!

Oh and FYI- when you go to sign up, the child has to be with you. A few parents learned that the hard way today and were turned away because they had come to sign up and left the kid with the other parent someplace else!

billysmommy
02-22-2011, 05:26 PM
Yay!!! He must have had a blast!!

I'd love to see a pic :)

hellokitty
02-22-2011, 05:53 PM
Success!!!
Today is a high volume 10/10 day at the parks so we arrived at DHS one hour before open. We stood second in line at the turnstiles until about a quarter till. Then they let us through the turnstiles and we waited in line behind the rope about halfway to the sorcerers hat. Then at rope drop a CM with a light saber guided us to the star tours area and we got in line. DS was number 13 in the first show. There were easily over 100+ in line behind us when we got ours and many didn't get to do it. DS LOVED it. This was the highlight of the trip for him. What a great experience!
Thanks for the info!!!

Oh and FYI- when you go to sign up, the child has to be with you. A few parents learned that the hard way today and were turned away because they had come to sign up and left the kid with the other parent someplace else!

That's awesome! We are going in Dec and my two older boys would definitely want to do this, but it will be peak season. How soon before opening time did they open the turnstiles to wait behind the rope? I'm trying to figure out when we should get there. If my boys get to do this, it would be the highlight for the entire trip.

cono0507
02-23-2011, 12:50 AM
That's awesome! We are going in Dec and my two older boys would definitely want to do this, but it will be peak season. How soon before opening time did they open the turnstiles to wait behind the rope? I'm trying to figure out when we should get there. If my boys get to do this, it would be the highlight for the entire trip.

Park opening was officially listed as 9am today. We got there at 8am and waited in lines behind the turnstiles until about 845am or so when they led us down that first main street about half way to the sorcerers hat. THere was a rope there we waited at until 9am. If it is a forecasted super busy day like today was, I'd recommend getting there early like we did. By 845a, there were hundreds of people waiting behind us. We were right up at the front of the rope and there were people packed in all the way back to the entrance. It was a long wait but well worth it. We brought snacks for the kids and they were still too tired to care much (last night was a late night at MK!) :)

ETA - it was so busy today that when DH went to the toy story ride to get a fast pass at 930, the fast pass we got was for 1p-2p and the fast passes were completely gone before noon! Craziness. Fortunately the first half of our week there was very low volume, so we had seen most everything we'd wanted to and experienced the park in a less crazy way already.

wimama
03-30-2011, 12:53 AM
Success!!!
Thanks for the info!!!

I'm so glad they changed it, too! I had been worried that they'd pick one of my boys and not the other.. this way is much better, I think. The kids and I will be heading to sign up first thing, while my husband goes to get FPs for TSM.

Disney newbie here - I haven't been to Disney since I was in junior high, so I am clueless on all this.

So, can I go and sign my DS up for Jedi training, while my DH takes our passes and runs and for Toy Story Mania Fast Passes?

Or do I need our passes for the Jedi Training sign up.

Is DS the only one we need to sign up for it and the rest of us adults just get to sit in the audience and watch?

We are going to Disney with my parents and I will be 5 months pregnant by the time we go. I need to plan this days opening out carefully. I don't think I and my parents will be real good at sprinting for both of these.:wink2:

Raidra
03-30-2011, 08:27 AM
Disney newbie here - I haven't been to Disney since I was in junior high, so I am clueless on all this.

So, can I go and sign my DS up for Jedi training, while my DH takes our passes and runs and for Toy Story Mania Fast Passes?

Or do I need our passes for the Jedi Training sign up.

Is DS the only one we need to sign up for it and the rest of us adults just get to sit in the audience and watch?

We are going to Disney with my parents and I will be 5 months pregnant by the time we go. I need to plan this days opening out carefully. I don't think I and my parents will be real good at sprinting for both of these.:wink2:

Yes, your husband can take your tickets and get FPs for TSM while you take your son to sign up for Jedi Academy. You'll sign up your son and get a slip of paper that says when you have to return (a half hour before the show starts). You or your husband waits in line with your son when you're scheduled to return, then just before the show starts, they line the kids up right near the stage and the parents go to stand in front of the stage. When we did it, my husband waited with my boys while the little ones and I staked out a good spot in front of the stage.

We were there on a moderately busy day, and both lines (for TSM FPs and JA) were long right at rope drop, so I'd definitely hurry. We left Hollywood & Vine just after 9am and got into the 12:40 show.

AngelaS
03-30-2011, 08:33 AM
You can divide and conquer. You don't need your passes to sign up for Jedi Training. :) Only kids get to sign up and there is no sitting--you stand around a stage.

wimama
03-30-2011, 10:09 AM
Excellent! Now we have a game plan. DS is only going to be 5, but he has watched Star Wars and will get a big kick out of getting to be a Jedi.:bighand:

Do they sell Light sabers as souvenirs there?

DS doesn't have one yet and it might be a cool place to buy an "official one" from Jedi school. At least I am thinking, a light saber would be a more meaningful than a lot of the souvenirs at Disney.

Raidra
03-30-2011, 11:07 AM
Excellent! Now we have a game plan. DS is only going to be 5, but he has watched Star Wars and will get a big kick out of getting to be a Jedi.:bighand:

Do they sell Light sabers as souvenirs there?

DS doesn't have one yet and it might be a cool place to buy an "official one" from Jedi school. At least I am thinking, a light saber would be a more meaningful than a lot of the souvenirs at Disney.

There's a build your own light saber station in the shop next door. :) I think it was $20, and they light up.

wimama
03-30-2011, 05:26 PM
There's a build your own light saber station in the shop next door. :) I think it was $20, and they light up.

Perfect! Thanks!

gordo
03-30-2011, 05:53 PM
You DS will have so much fun. We recently got back from Disney and we did your plan exactly - DH ran with DD to sign up for Jedi while I ran with my younger DD to get TS fast passes. We got there about 15 minutes before rope drop and DD got into the 11:30 show. It basically took us equal time waiting in line to sign up for Jedi and waiting in line for Fast passes.