PDA

View Full Version : Jogging with an infant

sweetsue98
02-21-2011, 11:38 PM
So I've read a few threads regarding running/jogging with an infant....many recommendation of waiting until the infant is 12 months old. I understand the impact jogging can have on an infant especially if you are jogging on unpave roads. All this talk about jogging is making me question my judgement on jogging with my DD. I have to admit I jogged with my DD when she was 3 months old....we have a BOB so it was a smooth ride. All paved trails and no gravel. I used a car seat adaptor since she was not old enought to use the BOB on her own. I'm no marathon runner so she was never in the car seat long. I never thought anything of it until I read some thread regarding jogging. For all the experienced mothers and fathers, please let me know if I'm not in my right mind.

Thanks!

arivecchi
02-22-2011, 01:42 PM
Here is an old thread on the subject. I would discuss this with your ped and make the decision you are comfortable with.

http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=331001

Multimama
02-22-2011, 02:23 PM
There are a couple of other threads in the sticky at the top of the forum too.

http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=348699

Bob says in the FAQ on their website: "For jogging or off-road stroller use, children should be at least 8 months old."

Bob also recommends never jogging with the carseat. From REI's description of the Bob car seat adapter: "Please note: Car seat adapter must be removed from stroller while jogging; leaving it on may pose a risk by raising the stroller's center of gravity too high." [This higher center of gravity makes the stroller more prone to tipping and so not stable enough for jogging.]

Most people here will tell you to wait until at least a year to be conservative. What I have heard others suggest is to put a cup of water on your stroller seat and then jog with it and watch how much it jiggles around/spills. You'll realize that your baby is taking a lot more impact than you thought.

I'm glad you are thinking about this and asking questions. Don't feel bad about your past choices, just check out the information and see if you want to change them now. :)

AnnieW625
02-22-2011, 02:31 PM
I think what you did with your daughter was okay. I started jogging (not long distances) with DD2 at about 6 mos. old, but now that she is almost 10 mos. old I would feel comfortable jogging a 5K with her in the Bob. I think 8 months a good time to start jogging more than say a 1/4 of a mile as long as it is on smooth surface. We never used the car seat adaptor with either child.

Multimama
02-22-2011, 03:09 PM
I think what you did with your daughter was okay. I started jogging (not long distances) with DD2 at about 6 mos. old, but now that she is almost 10 mos. old I would feel comfortable jogging a 5K with her in the Bob. I think 8 months a good time to start jogging more than say a 1/4 of a mile as long as it is on smooth surface. We never used the car seat adaptor with either child.

I'm confused about why you think jogging for 1/4 mile is okay? My understanding is that the concern is something similar to shaken baby syndrome. And they say any shaking can be damaging to the brain, not just shaking for long periods of time, right? (I'm not trying to make you feel bad, OP. Just trying to understand the logic of short distance jogging with small babies.)

arivecchi
02-23-2011, 10:50 AM
That is correct. The concern is the jostling of the brain while jogging with a baby. I am not sure the distance matters as much as the bumpiness of the ride.

Hopefully Strollerqueen will chime in. She is quite knowledgeable on the subject.

sweetsue98
02-23-2011, 10:00 PM
Thanks for the info! I did read some of the sticky's and I will talk to my pediatrician on my DD's next visit.

Multimama-Didn't read the adapter manual except on how to install so thank you for bringing to my attention. Makes you realize how much you need to consider and to think about.