PDA

View Full Version : Missed an A by 0.7!!!!

niccig
02-22-2011, 03:48 AM
I know it's just one quiz, I know there are 4 more then the final, plus homework. I really need A's in my pre-req classes so I have strong application for MS. It's Phonetics and I knew it would be my most difficult class. I'm fine on the theory, but struggle with the application - IDing speech sounds...but really 0.7, it's one question...Just bummed as I did study, but obviously I need to do more practice questions.
Sigh...and I'm on here as DH doesn't want to hear about it anymore...I normally find classes easy, but this is proving to be more difficult than I thought, so I'm venting.

elephantmeg
02-22-2011, 09:15 AM
wow! Good job though!

bubbaray
02-22-2011, 11:17 AM
Can you appeal it? For that small amount, I'd appeal it and hope they rounded up.

crl
02-22-2011, 11:20 AM
Can you appeal it? For that small amount, I'd appeal it and hope they rounded up.

You are such a lawyer. :ROTFLMAO:

Sorry you missed an A by such a narrow margin, but, hey, so close means you can definitely get there!

Catherine

niccig
02-22-2011, 11:37 AM

No rounding. We get it back today and I'll look over it, I doubt she made a mistake and marked one incorrect that is correct. Not that kind of professor. I just have to get one more question right on the next exam. It's a lot of application of speech sounds and it's difficult for me as I say the sound differently with my Australian dialect...but I'm close to getting a A. Just bummed.

sste
02-22-2011, 12:25 PM
This is good news though - - first it's a great grade. Second, students tend to go crazy studying for quiz #1. Then they get lax - - especially those that got their As. All you need to do is maintain or increase your effort and keep it consistent. Think of it as kind of an unrelenting assault from the .7 below an A rear!

Although I admire Bubbaray's fighting spirit, I might not appeal. This happens to me all the time as a prof. and in eight years I have changed a grade exactly once and that was when there was a true ambiguity where the student somehow managed a word choice that lent his sentence a correct and incorrect interpretation and it bumped him down a half grade in his final grade. And I swore him to secrecy/discretion! My life would be h*ll if word got out to students that I change grades on appeal. :)

DebbieJ
02-22-2011, 12:27 PM
I would be bummed too! Ugh!

You're doing great!

bubbaray
02-22-2011, 01:49 PM
You are such a lawyer. :ROTFLMAO:

he he he. Its been one of *those* mornings already!

GL! I'm sure you'll do great next time

niccig
02-22-2011, 10:55 PM
I got the quiz back today. I lost 6 points because of silly errors - either I coloured in the wrong bubble on the multiple choice part, missed a question (!), or misread the question. If I had not done ONE of those things, I would have gotten over the A line.

The good news is that I only lost 4 points on the application part, and the most difficult part of that I got all correct.

It has kicked me into action though. This isn't a class where you can coast, or rely on good memory alone. The application component will increase with each exam, and I have to practice all the time. So, not a bad lesson to learn early on...

jal
02-23-2011, 12:50 PM
Double check the scoring system.

I know that it's likely correct, but you never know.

In collage, I had a Calculus class where I nearly flunked the first test, but did well enough on the rest of the tests that if I got an 'A' on the final, it would result in an 'A' for the class.

Well, I scored 88 on the Final and the teacher assigned me a 'B' for the course. But when I looked back over the Final, I realised that the test only had enough questions to equal 95 points. So an 88/95 WAS an 'A' and the teacher had to submit a grade change.

Did I mention that this math teacher was the author of the Calculus book we were using in the class? So if he can make such an error, it pays for you to double check behind your teacher and make sure some similar mistake was not made.

lizzywednesday
02-23-2011, 05:05 PM
Phonetics was my weakest unit in my semester of linguistics; I feel for you.

Glad you were able to see where you'd made your mistakes, though.