crl
02-22-2011, 10:46 AM
It is on their front page today.

http://www.amazon.com/

Wonder if we should cancel netflix?

Catherine

nrp
02-22-2011, 10:50 AM
It apparently is only for paid Prime. That's totally fair, IMO, and I'll probably pay for prime in October when my Amazon mom free year is up (unless they extend it). This will be a nice benefit.

KHF
02-22-2011, 10:51 AM
I'm hoping Netflix will step up their game a little with this competition. Netflix has some things on DVD that I haven't been able to find anywhere else, but I'm hoping they'll expand their online offerings now.

This just makes me even more sure that I'll upgrade to a paid Prime membership once my free membership is up in the fall. (The free streaming isn't available to those who have the free Amazon Mom memberships.)

Penny's Pappa
02-22-2011, 03:50 PM
I'm going to keep an eye on this. I've been debating getting a Prime membership lately and with the addition of streaming video at no extra cost it sounds like it would be a good deal. Streaming movies PLUS 2-day shipping for less than a year of Netflix? Yeah, that's pretty awesome.

Unfortunately, Amazon's selection seems to be significantly lower than Netflix's (by at least 2-3x as far as I can tell) and since Netflix announced they're going to increase the number of streaming licenses they purchase this year, I don't know if Amazon's selection can really compete.

BeachBum
02-22-2011, 04:24 PM
I'm sure I'll use it because it's free. But I'm disappointed that it's not all of Amazon's offerings. Gosh that sounds bad--but when I searched for things I've been wanting to watch they were still pay items.
It reminds me of book sharing with Kindle....it's there...but just for very few items I'm interested in.

brittone2
02-22-2011, 04:26 PM
when I searched for things I've been wanting to watch they were still pay items.
:yeahthat:

Raidra
02-22-2011, 05:15 PM
Yeah, I was excited when I saw that but the selection kind of stinks. :(

blue
02-23-2011, 02:46 PM
Thanks for posting OP.
We currently have netflicks because its cheaper for us then tv. The amazon is tempting if they up there selection as others have mentioned. What would really sell me on Amazon, would be if they offer captioning on ALL of the instant streaming. Neflicks only has captioning on some of the streaming shows. I really miss the closed captions, they make it a lot easier for me to watch shows without cranking up the volume and waking the baby...Plus with captioning I get get some reading in, so its education too :wink2: