PDA

View Full Version : Hot flashes

Momof3Labs
02-22-2011, 11:08 AM
I am so tired of waking up soaked, cold and clammy every day. I just fully weaned last week, and AF started last month. The hot flashes have been going on for, I don't know, a few months?? My Zoloft dose was increased to 50mg/day shortly before this started. The stress levels are super high in the house, but I don't think this is stress related.

I'm 38, and my mom didn't start going through menopause this young so I don't really think it is that.

Any thoughts or suggestions???

TIA!!

bubbaray
02-22-2011, 11:16 AM
My hormones were wacky when I weaned, I would expect that weaning twins would bring double the wackiness.

No plugged ducts, signs of mastitis otherwise??

Momof3Labs
02-22-2011, 11:23 AM
Nope, ducts are clear and no signs of mastitis. I was only pumping maybe 7oz per day when I weaned - so I tapered off pretty gradually.

Moneypenny
02-22-2011, 01:17 PM
I had hot flashes when I was anemic. I don't think that's a typical symptom of anemia, but I'm kind of freak that way. Any chance you might be anemic?

Indianamom2
02-22-2011, 01:24 PM
Another thought is could it be the Zoloft? I think Paxil used to give me some hot flashes, so maybe it's contributing?

Good luck, because that's just no fun.

Corie
02-23-2011, 11:03 PM
I am so tired of waking up soaked, cold and clammy every day.

I hear ya!! Just this morning my husband asked me why
my nightshirt was wet. He was like, "Why are you so sweaty?"

I said, "Who the hell knows????"

I'm a walking/sleeping sweatball.

(FWIW, I'm only 39.)

tiapam
02-24-2011, 07:21 PM
I'll just give my standard answer: could be your thyroid. The thyroid can affect your body temperature. Thyroid problems generally have a trigger and stress can be a trigger. Are you on Zoloft for depression? That is another symptom of thyroid disease. Oh and you are postpartum, that's four.

I don't want to sound like a broken record on this topic, but the truth is it is frequently missed by health care professionals. So if you don't thoroughly research it and rule it out yourself, there is always a chance that it will go undiagnosed. And at your age, that could mean for the rest of your life, since many of the signs and symptoms mimic what we think of as typical signs of aging.

ETA: link

http://thyroid.about.com/od/thyroidbasicsthyroid101/a/riskfactors.htm

there's lots more info there including checklists of symptoms