PDA

View Full Version : For Those Who Take Vitamin D Supp.- Quick Question

Indianamom2
02-22-2011, 12:57 PM
The dr. upped my dosage to 4,000 IU's recently. I've been taking it twice a day, about 12 hours apart, but does it matter if I take it all at once? I forgot to ask my Dr. about that...and only having to remember it once a day would be more convenient!

Does anyone know if I need to divide the dose throughout the day?

brittone2
02-22-2011, 01:10 PM
I've read to take it with your largest meal daily. (I usually end up taking mine at bedtime though). I take 6000iu and do not split my dose.

carolinamama
02-22-2011, 01:12 PM
Interesting about taking with largest meal. I just take mine at bedtime too. I think I'd forget otherwise.

brittone2
02-22-2011, 01:14 PM
Interesting about taking with largest meal. I just take mine at bedtime too. I think I'd forget otherwise.

There's something about bile secretion from the largest meal helping with absorption. I don't know how substantial the difference is though.

Indianamom2
02-22-2011, 01:15 PM
Thanks. I had read that it is better absorbed with food, and so I guess taking it with the largest meal might make sense.

Guess I'll just combine it for now...what's the worst that can happen?

brittone2
02-22-2011, 01:28 PM
Some docs RX a large dose taken one time a week so I don't think it will matter that much for now if you don't split the dose.

I just saw something recently about a study where they were going to look at how well a once a week very large dose compares to a smaller daily dose in terms of getting levels up.

resipsaloquitur
02-22-2011, 01:32 PM
Someone else IRL mentioned that she was also taking a lot of Vit D. What are most people taking it for?

brittone2
02-22-2011, 01:37 PM
Someone else IRL mentioned that she was also taking a lot of Vit D. What are most people taking it for?

Many, many people are now deficient since we don't spend a lot of time outdoors with skin exposed. My midwives tested me early in my pgcy with baby #3 and my levels were 27 (not in the normal range) and that was *with* me taking 1000-2000iu a day for 1-2 years prior, and coming off of summer (when we tend to make the most natural vitamin D) and living in NC (sunny, warm a good part of the year). And I'm not someone who wears sunscreen daily.

Many people in the northern parts of the US would have a very tough time getting enough D from the sun.

There are many studies coming out that show even the lower end of the "normal" range may not be optimal for health. We have a history of colon cancer in my family, and there has been some connection with PCOS and low vitamin D made, so it is something that interests me. Low D in pregnancy increases the risk of c/s according to some studies, and is thought to impact fetal health. eta: more and more studies are also coming out about D's critical role in bone health as well. We hear a ton about calcium but D may be equally or even more important. There are a host of other issues tied to low D, and a few threads in the archives if you want to dig those up. I wanted to add that I feel much less of the winter blues (seasonal affective disorder) now that I have my D levels up a bit.

trales
02-22-2011, 02:40 PM
I have been taking 50,000 IU once per week, if I stop, the level drops to the teens.