PDA

View Full Version : Please explain PBK anywhere chair to me

Kira's Mommy
02-22-2011, 01:50 PM
My mom wants to buy DD a 1st birthday present and is asking what she needs. A lot of people recommend the anywhere chair. They are very cute but I just cant invision my child actually sitting in one.

DD is almost 12mo, walking since 8mo. She is *always* moving. She will ONLY sit on my or DH's lap ONLY when we read together. We don't allow her to watch TV yet so no sitting and watching TV for her. She almost never sits on the floor and plays - she's always walking/running/crawling around and playing. She sits in her high chair but that's because she's strapped to it. I mean, my child never sits, does she need a chair?

We even went to the PBK store to try one out. DD of course did not want to sit in it and wanted to climb over it instead. The chair tipped and I barely cought her from falling on her nose.:confused: What am I missing here?

Having said that everyone who has it seems to love it. Is it because my DD is that different from everyone else's DC or could it be that my DD is too young? I just remember that people recommend it as 1st birthday present or am I wrong???

kerridean
02-22-2011, 02:02 PM
I don't get it either. My girls are 5 and 7. We had to put it in storage for the reasons you mentioned above. They never did "sit". And even now, when we try to get it out, it just makes them completely hyper. They just want to turn it over and climb all over it. And my kids are not usually hyper type kids AT ALL. They are normally calm and quiet.

So back into storage it goes. I would recommend against it.

Smillow
02-22-2011, 02:07 PM
We have a similar chair from LLBean that we gave DS for his first birthday. He will be 2 this week & he will occasionally sit in it. He was all about moving around & uses it for climbing mostly. We positioned it on its back (back of the chair on the floor) at first with the bottom of the chair up against the couch & he stepped up on it over and over and over again. Eventually we put it between 2 pieces of furniture & against the wall. He will also sit in it more when we have another child over. One year olds just don't sit much. I like having a chair that is his.

jennilynn
02-22-2011, 02:11 PM
I bought one for DS's 1st birthday, even though my mom and husband thought it wouldn't get much use. Around 14-16 months, he started using it daily and still does at 28 mo. He loves it. Granted, we do watch a fair amount of TV, but he sits in it to read, eat a snack and even falls asleep in it sometimes. It's really comfy and lightweight so he can drag it from room to room. I think it's an awesome 1st birthday gift!

TwinFoxes
02-22-2011, 02:13 PM
Our girls got theirs when they turned two. They sit in it for afternoon snack, and I read to them. They sometimes sit in it to read to themselves. They sometimes sit in it to watch TV. Normally they are up against a wall, so no tumbling. But they will move them and climb on them and tumble off on purpose. They don't hurt themselves, but they're two, not one. They really like their chairs.

But if you don't want one, tell your mom. Not every kid needs/wants everything most kids have. I'm pretty sure kids got along for millenia without PB chairs. :)

mommy111
02-22-2011, 02:16 PM
My kids use it for sitting, climbing on, toppling over, stuffed animal chair. I use it for sitting on and for putting my head on when I watch TV. My nanny uses it as an armrest. We looooove the anywhere chair. But it totally depends on whether it will click with your child.

boilermakermom
02-22-2011, 02:20 PM
i love love love it!!!! dd rec'd one as a christmas gift when she was about 14 months and i thought it was a waste of $$. i was way way wrong.

dd loves it!! she climb all over it at first, but now she sits in it and reads her books, plays on the ipod/ipad, watches a movie. she has the standard anywhere chair, we are getting ready to order the oversized one since she is growing out of it.

i thought another 'kid' chair would work the same. i have seen them at jc penney furniture, toys r us, sams club, etc.

the thing i love about PBK anywhere chair is the cover is removable and washable. when she was younger i would wash the cover about once every 7-10 days. between juice, crackers, cookies, dog hair, etc. it got disgusting very fast. a huge plus to toss it in the washing machine and its clean. the cover holds up to a ton of washings!!! it has probably been washed close to 5 dozen times and is just now starting to slightly fade.

plus, its all foam. there isn't anything hard inside. dd has ran into it, plopped on it, etc. and i've never had to worry about her hitting her head, etc.

newg
02-22-2011, 03:31 PM
DD1 got hers when she was about 20 months old and it became "her" chair in the family room. Since it was hard for her to climb onto the regular furniture without help I think she really enjoyed having something she could manipulate and use on her own.....it has now been moved to her room and it's her favorite place to site and "read".
It has def. gotten a lot more use as she has gotten older. She just turned 3 last weekend and still fits in it with room to spare (I can sit in it too), so I imagine we will have this chair for a long time.
One is probably on the young side, but it may be nice to have down the road.

Like pp said, not everyone needs one....we all lived without one :)
I had a bean bag growing up that I adored. Maybe something like that would be enjoyed more by your LO, since it can be played with more?

infocrazy
02-22-2011, 03:41 PM
DS1 got when around 18 months. Although all three DC will sit in it on occasion, it is more part of the pillow mountain/castle/fort etc and climbed on and lovingly abused. We have definitely gotten a lot of use out of it and it is much loved by the boys.

That said, if we had never had one, they wouldn't have missed it.

FWIW, I was lucky enough to get a cover that was being discontinued for $5 shipped direct from PBK and an insert from ebay I think around $40. I wouldn't pay retail for it.

naam
02-22-2011, 03:41 PM
My kids use it for sitting, climbing on, toppling over, stuffed animal chair.

:yeahthat:

Only my DD has one but my boys love/use it too (even though it's pink and has her name). She loves it for watching TV as it's just the right size for her.

YouAreTheFocus
02-22-2011, 05:50 PM
My 16 mo old got a little chair for Xmas--not the PBK one but similar idea. I had the same questions as you beforehand--what do they use these for...does your baby/toddler actually SIT in a chair? Well, everyone responded that their kids loved sitting in their chairs, so it went on his Xmas list. And let me tell you, my son LOVES his chair. He sits in it every day. It is by far his favorite & most used Xmas gift. So glad he got it!!! (And btw, he doesn't watch tv either).