PDA

View Full Version : Scrap Paper/Construction Paper

boilermakermom
02-22-2011, 03:02 PM
DD is getting into coloring and loves to make cards for friends/family. We have been using computer printer paper, but we are going through it fast.

What do you give your kids to draw on? Where do you get it? Reguslar paper or construction paper? Target, Hobby Lobby, Staples, etc.?

fedoragirl
02-22-2011, 03:44 PM
Michaels and A.C. Moore--they have all kinds of paper supplies for craft lovers.

boolady
02-22-2011, 03:46 PM
Michaels and A.C. Moore--they have all kinds of paper supplies for craft lovers.

Why does my Michaels not carry construction paper? I have specifically asked them, and they don't. What's the deal with construction paper? Target doesn't carry it, Wegman's doesn't carry it, Michaels doesn't carry it...where do you get good old fashioned construction paper, someplace like Staples?

boilermakermom
02-22-2011, 03:58 PM
i know! that is what caused me to start using computer paper in the first place! i found construction paper at target, but it was $4.95 for 75 sheets. WOW!

maybe hobby lobby or jo anns i guess? dollar store?

sophiesmom03
02-22-2011, 03:58 PM
Costco - you'll get enough to last for years.

JTsMom
02-22-2011, 04:03 PM
At BTS time, I bought 10 packs at Target for .88/each. I've also seen it at Dollar Tree, Michaels, Hobby Lobby (they have mixed packs, and 1 single color at packs, which are nice for certain projects) and teacher supply stores. There are definitely differences in quality. It's hard to find the old school, thick stuff like we had as kids.

Kindra178
02-22-2011, 04:03 PM
I use paper I "steal" from the recycle bins at work. There is so much paper being thrown away, it's a great re-use. My four year old thinks that all paper has legal stuff written on one side!

Ceepa
02-22-2011, 04:13 PM
Have you tried AC Moore?

boolady
02-22-2011, 04:24 PM
Costco - you'll get enough to last for years.

Aha! I'll have to check the next time I'm there.

KrisM
02-22-2011, 05:17 PM
Staples, Office Max, etc often have a ream of 500 sheets of copy paper for free after rebate and we've now got tons of that. Kids can go through as much as they want and I just don't worry much. In fact, I'm going to try and sell some to my brother, since I have about 30 reams and I think it's too much to store.

SpaceGal
02-22-2011, 06:11 PM
I did find construction paper at AC Moore back in the day.

As for my kids we recycle and use whatever paper that DH has from work. I also buy lots of notebooks from Target during the "back to school" clearances. I just give them each a notebook and they can do whatver they wish in them...kind of like a sketchbook.

Of course, we also have plain printer paper and construction paper for when they want to make something special...but if they are just doodling, scrap paper from the printer or their notebooks is what ever use.

I remember when I was younger my mom brought home those huge computer printer paper for those old school dot matrix printers...they were HUGE. I love using that...and it was free too! but now I bet you can't find paper that size for cheap.

lowrioh
02-22-2011, 06:16 PM
Try IKEA
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50085742

vludmilla
02-22-2011, 09:37 PM
Try IKEA
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50085742

I just bought this paper yesterday and used it with DD this morning. It is easily the best paper I've ever bought for art projects. The colors are so vibrant and it is a good weight. I wish I had bought two packs of it.