PDA

View Full Version : Ball pit/tent for 1 year old

dddhokie
02-22-2011, 04:46 PM
Has anyone had luck with a ball pit for a 1 year old? Still trying to last minute birthday gifts and some suggested this as another "center/area" that may be useful at this age.

Thanks!

WolfpackMom
02-22-2011, 04:50 PM
Someone gave DS one for his 1st birthday. I was not thrilled when it was opened, although I know the gift giver had fun intentions. DS does like it, but omg balls everywhere! I ended up buying a nylon tent and putting the ball pit inside the tent that way there was only one opening rather than two, it takes up way too much space. If we had a huge playroom then I can see it being ok, but in our bonus room which isnt a bad size, it still takes up too much room. I am counting down until the playtable Im working on is done so I have a good excuse to take down the pit.

lol obviously this toy is one of my hangups...

DietCokeLover
02-22-2011, 05:20 PM
We have the tent from One Step Ahead. My kids still enjoy it and we've had it for 2+ years. I don't keep it up all the time, so they don't get tired of it.

wencit
02-22-2011, 05:39 PM
We got a ball pit when DS1 was about a year old and just threw it away last year when we moved cross-country, so we had it for about 3 years. It had a spiral in the middle that the balls traveled down. DS1 LOVED that thing, and so did all the kids who came to play at our home, even the older ones. We definitely got our money's worth on that toy! I was sad to see it go, but it had developed some holes that we just couldn't patch up. We kept it in the family room, which wasn't extraordinarily large, but the ball pit did have a fairly decent sized footprint and took up some room. It came with maybe 50-100 balls, but DS1 did a pretty good job of keeping them in the ball pit most of the time.

dddhokie
02-23-2011, 11:44 AM
thanks ladies! while reading reviews of one tent I saw that someone suggested using balls in the pack n play. i think I'll try that first and see how she likes it - plus it will keep them contained!