PDA

View Full Version : museums/zoo must haves

boilermakermom
02-22-2011, 05:13 PM
we are taking DD to the shedd aquarium for the first time this weekend. we didn't get a chance to take her to the zoo last summer, so this is a big outing for us.

what are your must haves for trips like this? do you carry a backpack instead of diaper bag/large purse? i am trying to figure out what to carry for all of our stuff....juiice, diapers, extra clothes, camera...anything i am forgetting?

any other insight/tips are welcome!

LMPC
02-22-2011, 05:20 PM
First of all....have a great time!!

My first rule is get there EARLY! Last year, we took DD to the ATL aquarium and got there when it opened... we basically had it to ourselves for an hour. So nice!

I like your list, but I would be careful of over packing. You are going to look at fish, not going on a safari LOL (this is my advice for myself...I'm a chronic over packer!). Simple snack and drink for DC's should be fine. Will you eat there? Are you willing to spend a couple of bucks to lighten your load?

Make sure you charge up your camera battery!

SnuggleBuggles
02-22-2011, 05:21 PM
I don't take much. Diapers, spare clothes if your little one really might need them and/ or there is something potentially wet or messy, hat if outside in the summer (and your dc will wear one), sunscreen if summer, snacks, sippy cup of water.

Beth

DebbieJ
02-22-2011, 05:26 PM
Shedd is free this week so DEFINITELY get there early!

How old is your DD? Are you driving or doing public trans?

boilermakermom
02-22-2011, 05:29 PM
Ugh. Where did you see the shedd was free this week?

boilermakermom
02-22-2011, 05:29 PM
We will be driving into the city...I hate taking the train.

DebbieJ
02-22-2011, 05:55 PM
Ugh. Where did you see the shedd was free this week?

From their website: http://www.sheddaquarium.org/discounts.html

Community Discount Weeks are Jan. 16-21 and Feb. 20-24.

You might also want to check your local public library for passes.

Note that you will still have to pay to get into the Wild Reef, Polar Play Zone and Abbott Oceanarium.

Plus, if you get there early you might be able to score a street parking spot. Otherwise you have to park in the museum campus garage and walk over, so allow time for that, too.

Gena
02-22-2011, 06:01 PM
Just becuase I believe in preparing for the worst case scenario of a lost child (and my child is a runner, so I have too much experience with this):

Make sure you have a recent photo of your DD (or take one that morning in the clothes she is wearing that day) and know her accurate height and weight.

ETA: I also make sure my child has wearable ID on him.