PDA

View Full Version : dd won't spit.

boilermakermom
02-22-2011, 05:15 PM
i thought all kids loved to spit things out? right? we are trying to switch to flouride toothpaste (instead of the training paste) but dd won't spit out the toothpaste, she wants to swallow it.

did your LO know how to spit, or did you teach them? if so, how?

i filled the sink up with cheerios, and thought we could spit at them, dd tried it once, then used her hands.

wencit
02-22-2011, 05:22 PM
How old is your DD? I forget the exact age that DS1 learned to spit, but I remember it wasn't until he was a bit older, maybe 3ish?, before he could spit really well. At first, he would just kind of "drool" out the toothpaste. We also used a tiny, tiny, tiny amount -- barely even touching the toothbrush.

LMPC
02-22-2011, 05:23 PM
:popc1: Watching this thread, because we are having the same issues here. DD spit really well for about a week, and then went back to sucking on the brush and announcing "oooh yummy!" after she had swallowed.....lovely!

daisymommy
02-22-2011, 05:29 PM
I don't know how old your child is, but mine weren't able to really get it until they were at least 3.5-ish.

Dr C
02-22-2011, 05:33 PM
my DS has just recently learned. He's 4.

Momof3Labs
02-22-2011, 10:16 PM
My boys were more like 4+yo before they could reliably spit (which is what I require for fluoride toothpaste).

wimama
02-22-2011, 10:27 PM
DS was 3.5 or 4 year old before he could reliably spit well. Sometimes, still at almost 5 he will suck the toothpaste off the brush and swallow it instead of spit. He knows better and he knows how to spit. So, then I tell him if he keeps that up, he will have to use Mommy & Daddy's "burny" (mint flavored) toothpaste. He much prefers his mild kiddie toothpaste. ;)