PDA

View Full Version : Question for Moms with Asperger Child

marchmommy
02-22-2011, 05:29 PM
What kind of Dr made the diagnosis? A psychologist or someone else? Did you have the experience of wondering if your child had it and then being told by a psychologist he doesn't have it but then someone else found that he or she did?? What if the child does very well academically, is it more difficult to diagnose he or she with Asperger's?

TIA!

daisymommy
02-22-2011, 05:31 PM
Child psychologist would be best.
Edited because I felt I bared myself too much here...sorry.

Gena
02-22-2011, 05:55 PM
In my area, the diagnosis is given by a developmental ped, in consultation with a child psychologist. Other medical professionals may be consulted as well, depending on the individual case.

Generally, academic performance does not make the diagnosis more difficult. However, some gifted children may have certain traits that might look like Aspergers without being Aspergers. Or the child may be gifted AND have Aspergers.

My son's diagnosis is high-functioning autism rather than Asperger's because he has a history of language delay. But the diagnostic process is similar. DS is also very academically advanced and might be gifted (he is too young to know at this point).

sariana
02-22-2011, 06:03 PM
What kind of Dr made the diagnosis? A psychologist or someone else? Did you have the experience of wondering if your child had it and then being told by a psychologist he doesn't have it but then someone else found that he or she did?? What if the child does very well academically, is it more difficult to diagnose he or she with Asperger's?

TIA!

I think it was a Developmental Pediatrician was provided the diagnosis for my son. High academic performance actually is a common characteristic of a child with Asperger's. It is social skills that cause difficulty for many Aspies.

Sorry, I have to go. I'll try to write more later.

marchmommy
02-22-2011, 06:19 PM
Should I ask my pediatrician for a referral? And how has it been helpful for you to have an official, actual diagnosis (assuming your child is in school)?

sariana
02-22-2011, 06:49 PM
Should I ask my pediatrician for a referral? And how has it been helpful for you to have an official, actual diagnosis (assuming your child is in school)?

I'm quoting myself, from a post I responded to earlier today. This seems to be a "hot" topic lately:

I do want to say that I am very, very glad we got that diagnosis of Asperger's. Here in CA, ADHD alone does not qualify a child for an IEP, but Autism Spectrum Disorder (including Asperger's) does. Though DS qualified for the preschool program, his team was having trouble finding reasons to keep him qualified beyond kindergarten (which was his Triennial review, and thus the end of the 3-year qualification period). The doctor's note with the diagnosis of Asperger's ensured he stayed qualified.

At the beginning of first grade DS had major incident that likely would have resulted in expulsion if not for his IEP. Since his IEP specifically described the exact behavior he demonstrated, the school was required to find a plan that worked for him. So his IEP really protected him. (The situation was unfair, IMO. We had a family issue involving DH's deployment that caused a lot of the problem, but the school personnel didn't seem to care. So I was grateful for that IEP.) DS is doing relatively well now. He is thriving academically. He still needs a lot of social support, but he has a plan in place to address those needs.

As to the first part of your question, we have an HMO. Everything we do needs a referral from the Primary Care Provider, so we got the referral from her (our DC's regular pediatrician). I really like her, so I would tend to go to her with initial questions, anyway.

pakin
02-22-2011, 08:14 PM

TIA!

My son was diagnosed by a developmental pediatrician. The school psychologist actually suggested that he get evaluated when he was in first grade. We asked our ped for a referral and waited 9 months just to see the developmental ped.

Asperger's are generally diagnosed later (maybe around age 7) because it's not very obvious. When the kids get older, the differences in social skills among peers become more apparent.

I highly recommend this book called "Can I tell you about Asperger Syndrome?" http://www.amazon.com/Can-Tell-About-Asperger-Syndrome/dp/1843102064/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1298419769&sr=1-1 The first time I read it, I couldn't believe how it seem to describe my son exactly. DS's diagnosis just confirmed that.

I also agree with PP that the diagnosis was very helpful. DS was able to get an IEP and all the help that he needed. He is much happier at school now.

HTHs.

Pakin

DS 4/2001
DD 6/2005

Gena
02-22-2011, 08:49 PM
Yes, you should get a referral from your regular ped. Even if your insurance does not require a referral, most developmental peds will require one for new patients.

Are you thinking about this in regards to your gifted 2nd grader? If so, Hoagies has some good links to resources about gifted children with Aspergers.
http://hoagiesgifted.org/aspergers.htm

You might also be interested in today's blog post at The Thinking Person's Guide to Autism. http://thinkingautismguide.blogspot.com/2011/02/aspergers-syndrome-is-real-even-when.html

Bens Momma
02-22-2011, 09:05 PM
We are going through this right now. My son was diagnosed about a month ago by a pediatric neurologist. We were referred to her by the school nurse as a first step because his teacher actually thought he had a tic disorder or SID. The neurologist made the diagnosis and we are now in the process of having him tested and rated through the school psychologist. Yes, I would think a referral from your ped would be helpful no matter what type of insurance you have. I'm still coming to grips with the diagnosis and trying to learn as much as I can so I can be a good advocate for DS. There are many wise and helpful BBB members who can help you with questions as you go along. Good luck!

HTH-
Momma to 2 ACTIVE DS :bouncy::bouncy:
and another Jumping Bean appearing around Halloween