PDA

View Full Version : Got my Mirena inserted today...

maiaann
02-22-2011, 07:51 PM
I thought I'd write a post about my experience since I researched and read every other post in this forum on the subject. In a nutshell, my experience was a piece of cake.

A little background - I've had 3 vaginal births with epidurals. My pain threshold is quite low (bring on the painkillers) and I chickened out the first time I was scheduled to get the Mirena inserted.

First off, I was quite nervous...
I went in this morning, picked up the Mirena (it comes in a huge box!) from the pharmacy and went by the lab to have a pregnancy urine test. I waited in the lobby, and then waited nervously in the exam room forever. About 40 minutes after my appointed time, the dr came in. She examined my uterus for shape & size and then applied iodine on my cervix. She also injected lidocaine to numb the cervix which is probably the biggest reason I didn't really feel any pain. I'm not sure all drs do lidocaine, but if it is an option - I would request it!

She then inserted the "sound" and measured my uterus at an 8. That satisfied her so I signed the consent to insert the mirena. I didn't feel her take the measurement at all. She then inserted the mirena while I held the nurse's hand. My legs were shaking but it went pretty fast. I felt a twinge on my right side, but that was really all the discomfort I experienced during insertion. When she went to trim the strings, she must have tugged too hard because the mirena came out. Major bummer. The nurse got her a new mirena, she re-inserted it (this time I felt no twinge), and cut the strings. While I was laying there she did a vaginal ultrasound to make sure it was correctly positioned. She did not have me feel for the strings internally, but she did give me the ones she cut so I would be familiar with what they felt like. I was a bit dizzy afterwards, but it subsided after about 5-10 minutes, and I had no trouble driving myself home.

Once I got home I started having some cramping. I've been taking Advil every 4 hours. She told me no swimming (I'm a swimmer), tampons, or intercourse for a week.

I am aware of the Mirena, but I think it's just because my cervix was manipulated and is a bit tender. Naturally, I'm also very conscious that there is now a piece of plastic inside me. It feels a bit like a tampon. I'm hoping in a few days I don't notice it or even think about it. I have short cycles (22-24 days) and long days of bleeding (7 days), so I'm hoping this not only works as a contraception, but also lessens/eliminates my heavy periods.

I'll post an update in a few days if anyone is interested.

JMS
02-22-2011, 08:21 PM
Thank you for taking the time to tell us your experience. It's always great to read a first hand account.

SnuggleBuggles
02-22-2011, 09:00 PM
Thanks for sharing your experience!

I've had 2 Paragards now. Neither time did they do a lidocaine injection but it also didn't really hurt. More uncomfortable and long. I was surprised by how long it took. Really it was probably 5 minutes, maybe 10, but felt much longer. I too got dizzy afterwards with both but felt better in not too long. That part of the process seems strange but they said that some women just respond like that to having their cervix manipulated. I never even think of my IUD any more. With my 1st one I did get twinges/ mini cramps the first few months, kind of like my body was trying to figure out if something was really in there. I didn't have that with my 2nd one. I didn't get the same no sex/ no swimming/ no tampons instructions- they might have said a few days but not a week...interesting!

I hope you have a good experience with it!

Beth

khalloc
02-23-2011, 10:43 AM
I had Mirena inserted about 6 or 8 weeks postpartum with by 2nd child. I didnt have lidocaine and I didnt feel a thing. Just so that anyone reading doesnt always think it hurts to have it done.

dogmom
02-23-2011, 12:15 PM
I just took a whopping dose of motrin (800 mg) before and then 6 hours after and it was fine. But I had other procedures and knew it was going to be OK. From a two year perspective I had a lot of spotting the first 4 months and it was sort of annoying because I couldn't predict it. Now I have spotting ever month or two that lasts one day. No other side effects. Because I'm at the age that my mother was when she was perimenopausal I feel particularly lucky that I'm skipping all those long, heavy periods my friends are having that are my age. It is a definite benefit.

candaceb
02-23-2011, 10:16 PM
Just to add another experience -
I had Mirena inserted last week. The doctor was in the room a total of five minutes, and I figure anything that lasts less than five minutes can't be that bad, right? I was uncomfortable for about 4 minutes, and very uncomfortable for about 2 minutes while there was a clamp on my cervix (lovely). I felt a little crampy afterwards, but I was out of there with 45 minutes to go before I was due home for the babysitter, and I wasn't about to waste that time so I went to the grocery store after I left the appt and had no difficulty walking around. The cramps were no worse than my worst menstrual cramps for about an hour, and gradually subsided and I had nothing by the next day. I can't feel anything now, and haven't "looked" for the strings yet - I figure I'll cross that bridge when I need to.

Jenny_A
03-07-2011, 12:49 AM
Thanks! This was very helpful. I've been talking with my doctor about having it done. So, what's the deal with the strings? Are you suppose to know where they are? Why?

wendibird22
03-07-2011, 12:58 PM
I have had mine since September so about 5mos. I have had some wonky side effects (bloating, headaches, lightheadedness) but overall I'm pleased. I did spot almost continuously for about 2 months and now I seem to spot for a few days during the month and then get a light period later in the month. I also tend to spot the day after DTD. The other side effects tend to relate to the time I ovulate.

As for the strings, you are supposed to check for the strings every so often (varies by OBGYN) to make sure it is still in place and has moved or been expelled.

lalasmama
03-08-2011, 03:54 AM
Thanks! This was very helpful. I've been talking with my doctor about having it done. So, what's the deal with the strings? Are you suppose to know where they are? Why?

Most providers recommend that you check for your strings to be reassured that you haven't lost your IUD. Our clinic recommends monthly, a day or two after the last day of your period, so that you know it didn't come out during any bleeding. For our Mirena users, we recommend just picking a day each month to check, since they often stop bleeding, or have spotting instead.

That being said, plenty of women rarely (never) check for the strings and have no issues :)

Personally, I can't imagine it "falling" out and not noticing it, however, it happens (rarely).

blondflava
03-08-2011, 08:45 AM
Thanks for sharing... I was supposed to have the Mirena inserted and the doctor couldn't do it (I had c-section and supposedly my cervix was as closed as it could only be). I was scheduled to come for a re-insertion (plus dilating my cervix at the same time) but changed my mind and went back to the Nuvaring. The whole experience was rather unpleasant and they compared the cramping while dilating to the childbirth cramps (so not looking towards that). I think I was one of the weird cases..

SnuggleBuggles
03-08-2011, 09:00 AM
Thanks for sharing... I was supposed to have the Mirena inserted and the doctor couldn't do it (I had c-section and supposedly my cervix was as closed as it could only be). I was scheduled to come for a re-insertion (plus dilating my cervix at the same time) but changed my mind and went back to the Nuvaring. The whole experience was rather unpleasant and they compared the cramping while dilating to the childbirth cramps (so not looking towards that). I think I was one of the weird cases..

My childless sister couldn't manage to have one inserted and had a really miserable time when they did try. With my first IUD they did it while I had my period b/c you are naturally somewhat dilated then I guess. With my 2nd I was 8w pp and it was a non issue even though I didn't have my pd.

Beth

mikeys_mom
03-08-2011, 09:07 AM

I also had a c/s and mine was a difficult insertion because my cervix was pretty tightly closed. The dr was able to dilate the cervix and get it in. It was uncomfortable for maybe ten minutes. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

DrSally
03-12-2011, 10:45 PM
Thank you all for posting your experiences. I considered the Mirena, but went with the BCP. I may someday go with the Mirena b/c it would be so nice not to have to remember to reorder and take the BCP, and wouldn't it be nice to have very scant to no periods!