PDA

View Full Version : capris--why do they look frumpy on me?

DrSally
02-22-2011, 10:11 PM
Looking at spring clothing and the capris seem to be frumpy on me. I used to wear capris all the time with no problem (or so I thought). I bought some today (Dockers) at Costco. They have the perfect waist, so I was excited. They looked totally dumpy and frumpy on me. IDK. I've heard there's a perfect length for capris (right below the knee or at the top of the calf) that doesn't shorten the leg. Yes, I'm short and have thicker legs. The only ones that seem to look good on me are the ones that are basically like skinny jeans that you roll up to mid calf (ON has some Flirt capris that I'm waiting to go onsale). The ones that are baggy down the thigh make me look bigger than I am, does that make sense?

OK, here's a blog post on capri lengths: http://youlookfab.com/2007/04/03/caution-cropped-pants-can-be-risky/

The trouble is, that as a short person, capris are always going to hit that "trouble spot" on me posted on the bottom middle pic (the denim capris).

Does anyone else feel frumpy in capris?

cvanbrunt
02-22-2011, 11:10 PM
I'm 5'2" and gave up on capris/cropped pants. Count me among those who think they are a style best skipped by the petite crowd, hence the fourteen skirts I just counted in my closet.

jent
02-22-2011, 11:10 PM
:waving4: Yep, I know exactly what you mean-- I haven't found capris that have worked for me yet. I'm not just short, but my legs are proportionally short. Last summer I decided to just avoid capris completely (I'd read that same post you referenced) but I regretted it by the end of summer- what else do you wear when pants are too hot but shorts are too casual?

Maybe if the ones you have fit everywhere else & you like them, they're worth getting tailored to the "right" length? This is my plan for this spring/summer, when I finally get around to spring/summer shopping (and stop spending money on Boden end-of-winter sales). It's hard to spend the money on tailoring (especially for casual wear) but I keep trying to remind myself that it's better to have a few pieces of good fit/quality than many things that are just not flattering.

My other plan is to try to get more casual dresses/skirts. Often more flattering than pants and just as comfy.

DrSally
02-22-2011, 11:43 PM
YEs, I've gotten into skirts for the summer last year, based on recommendations here. I'm still sort of worried about the surprise oops factor (flying up in the wind or other things that are not likely to happen), but they are pretty casual and cool (temperature wise).

I bought some skinny tapered leg Jag jeans at NR for $8 on clearance. They were displayed rolled up. I may have them shortened so that there's not so much fabric and I can wear them with a single large cuff or rolled up.

SnuggleBuggles
02-22-2011, 11:53 PM
I don't really think they look good on most people. I resisted them for years and years after they became popular because I just don't think they are flattering on most people. I broke down and bought some because they can be a practical alternative, like if you are headed to an amusement park, don't want to wear shirts, don't own a skort and don't want to climb on and off rides in a skirt. :)

I have one really cute pair, they hit a bit below the knee so I don't feel like it cuts the line of my leg as much.

Beth

crl
02-22-2011, 11:56 PM
Well, I'm 5'7" and I think capris look funny on me. To my eye they look like my clothes have shrunk. When I lived in VA I wore them because it was just so hot in the summer and I thought I was a bit old to run around in shorts all the time. Now that I'm in SF it is almost never hot so I just don't own any capris.

Catherine

blue
02-23-2011, 12:40 AM
:waving4: Yep, I know exactly what you mean-- I haven't found capris that have worked for me yet.

:yeahthat: I am also short, 5ft 3in

elektra
02-23-2011, 12:43 AM
I am 5'10" and even I don't like capris, at least the ones that hit my leg anywhere from high ankle to mid calf. I will wear I almost consider long shorts- like the ones in the first picture linked to above.

DrSally
02-23-2011, 12:44 AM
I guess I'm not the only one! I'm seriously going to have to look for ones that hit right below the knee (or get the ones that I have hemmed).

mypa
02-23-2011, 10:17 AM
I know what you mean. I'm short, too, and the only style of capris that have worked for me are the slim-fit ones like these:

http://www.landsend.com/pp/UltraFitDenimSlimLegCropPants~211567_59.html?bcc=y&action=order_more&sku_0=::RND&CM_MERCH=IDX_00008__0000000124&origin=index

http://www.landsend.com/pp/WeekendChinoSlimLegCropPants~211566_48.html?bcc=y&action=order_more&sku_0=::WHI&CM_MERCH=IDX_00008__0000000124&origin=index

The denim one is not that tight on me as it is on the model, it just skims the legs. The Chino Slim Leg crop pants were from last year, not sure if have them this year.

I also can't pull-off capris that hit just below the knee or bermuda shorts that hits just above the knee because I think they cut my legs in half.

jvs195
02-23-2011, 11:04 AM
I think it really depends on the pant style and your body type. Pants that just look like they cut them off a bit short don't do it for me (reminds me of all those shoes with the toes cut off) Straighter styles work for me, but I'm 5"8" with long legs and a straight shape. I want to like the baggier styles but haven't found any that don't look like bloomers/knickers on me. I do however like my boyfriend jeans rolled just a little above the ankle.

DrSally
02-23-2011, 11:14 AM
I know what you mean. I'm short, too, and the only style of capris that have worked for me are the slim-fit ones like these:

http://www.landsend.com/pp/UltraFitDenimSlimLegCropPants~211567_59.html?bcc=y&action=order_more&sku_0=::RND&CM_MERCH=IDX_00008__0000000124&origin=index

http://www.landsend.com/pp/WeekendChinoSlimLegCropPants~211566_48.html?bcc=y&action=order_more&sku_0=::WHI&CM_MERCH=IDX_00008__0000000124&origin=index

The denim one is not that tight on me as it is on the model, it just skims the legs. The Chino Slim Leg crop pants were from last year, not sure if have them this year.

I also can't pull-off capris that hit just below the knee or bermuda shorts that hits just above the knee because I think they cut my legs in half.

I would totally try these if they had my size. I think when prices start to go down, I'll order petites crops from old Navy. Maybe ordering petites will make them shorter and more flattering.

calebsmama03
02-23-2011, 01:07 PM
I think capris are just generally not flattering! I'm 5'6 and prepreg a size 2/4 and I have found maybe 1 pr in my lifetime that didn't look frumpy.

ThreeofUs
02-23-2011, 03:43 PM
I have to have either very long or very short capris. That mid length that they say works so well? Completely a grandma look on me.

DrSally
02-23-2011, 05:21 PM
I have to have either very long or very short capris. That mid length that they say works so well? Completely a grandma look on me.

:rotflmao: That's what I'm talking about--the Grandma look! Just throw in some orthopedic shoes and I might as well be 85 years old!

mypa
02-23-2011, 06:26 PM
I would totally try these if they had my size. I think when prices start to go down, I'll order petites crops from old Navy. Maybe ordering petites will make them shorter and more flattering.

For me getting petite and slim fit was the key. Even straight leg looked too grandma-like.

TwinFoxes
02-23-2011, 06:40 PM
The first thing I thought when I read your title was "who don't they look frumpy on?" :)

I think Capri type pants are more flattering when slimmer and hit higher, more at the knee. Cropped pants (which I think most people mean when they say Capris, right?) are really not a good look. I think the slimmer ones you linked to are cute. :)

ThreeofUs
02-23-2011, 07:16 PM
:rotflmao: That's what I'm talking about--the Grandma look! Just throw in some orthopedic shoes and I might as well be 85 years old!

Exactly! And ITA with the PP's who said a higher, slimmer look was better. Still looks like a trailer park cook-out on me, unless we're talking a very tailored capri, but I just can't pull the look off.

sariana
02-23-2011, 07:29 PM
I actually like capris, and I am neither tall nor thin. (5'4", 135 lbs) But I CANNOT wear most Dockers pants. They just don't fit me properly. I see them all the time at Costco and just want to cry as I have to walk right on by. I love Costco's prices, but their selection just doesn't do much for me.

BeachBum
02-24-2011, 07:42 AM
Humm...
I don't think capri's are very flattering, but I love cropped pants. I like slim cut cropped pants that hit between the ankle and the bottom of the calf.

I also like to roll up other styles of pants to hit in that same area.

I've tried a few pair of longer shorts, (below the knee) and while they can be ok, I always struggle with what shoes to wear with them.

To me the point of capri's is usually a shorts substitute. So they do me no good if I have to wear heels for them to look good.