PDA

View Full Version : Disney with a 6 month old?

malibelle
02-23-2011, 12:01 AM
Ok , I am due in may and really want to go to Disney in Nov. Has anyone experienced it with a 6 month old? Plus I have some cute Disney outfits for the little guy to wear there...lol
How did you make out? Believe it or not I am a work at home Disney vacation planner but this is our first child so I don't know what to expect. I don't think I would even consider it but helping people plan their trips makes me want to go even more. Luckily we own DVC and have been there many times that we know how to take it easy down there and know we can't see and do everything.

3blackcats
02-23-2011, 09:04 AM
Dd was about that old when we went a couple of years ago. I don't know if you are planning on wearing your DS but it was life saver with DD. She could go on a lot of the rides and it was so nice to have her strapped to my front so I had both hands to get on and off rides. And she loved to nap like that. She slept through the safari on DH.

Make sure you have a good stroller with a good recline so DS can sleep. I see parents with their babies in car seats in strollers and the babies look miserable.

We would get to the parks early and then leave in the afternoon before it got too hot. We kept bedtime the same time which really helped.

I had a small purse to carry money, tickets, camera, etc. Left the diaper bag with the stroller. Take a couple of changes of clothes. We also had a small cooler with bottled water for us and for making formula.

I don't know if you plan on nursing, but you'll see lots of moms with covers on nursing in the park. You can also go to the baby station if you are uncomfortable with NIP.

Disney is great for families and very accommodating. You'll have a ton of fun.

georgiegirl
02-23-2011, 09:52 AM
We went when DS was 8.5 months old, and he did great. Definitely invest in a good carrier. DS spent most of the time in the pikkolo (a soft structered carrier ). He loved napping there and he went in so many rides that way. We also rented a double baby jogger (for him and my 4 year old DD). Nursing was also a lifesaver. The other great thing is the baby swap pass. We were able to all ride the grown up rides without having to wait much extra.

lhafer
02-23-2011, 11:51 AM
We went when DS was 8.5 months old, and he did great. Definitely invest in a good carrier. DS spent most of the time in the pikkolo (a soft structered carrier ). He loved napping there and he went in so many rides that way. We also rented a double baby jogger (for him and my 4 year old DD). Nursing was also a lifesaver. The other great thing is the baby swap pass. We were able to all ride the grown up rides without having to wait much extra.

:yeahthat:

This was us almost exactly!! We went in late November with our 4.5 year old and 9 month old. I took my Ergo, which was AWESOME. Some sort of carrier is a must for the lines. We rented a double city mini stroller and that was great too. The OP would only need a single stroller!

And some sort of backpack/bag. I had a skip hop back pack that I used and it held everything for us for the day. We didn't take breaks during the day (meaning leave the park), but we just took it slow and had a great time.

kaharris83
02-23-2011, 01:37 PM
Just got back first week of Feb and DS was 6.5 months old when we went. He spent the entire time in our Ergo or Beco. He's not really a stroller baby though we did bring our BJCM, it ended up just being a stuff hauler. We went with my parents and my grandma and her friend. So DH and I had a little backup help but I think we would have had a great time if it had just been the three of us too. DS LOVED, LOVED, LOVE the people watching and riding the rides. He's not a napper so we didn't bother to take him back to the room in the afternoon, somedays he napped in the carrier and somedays he didn't. We were able to make rope drop every morning and got to ride all the things we really wanted to ride. Of course it was a much slower paced trip than 2 years ago when it was just my parents, DH and I but absolutely worth it. I say go for it!! You'll have such a great time!! The baby care centers were amazing. I exclusively pump for DS and they were a great place to get that done while we were at the parks. We are already planning a Disney cruise for next year and our next trip to WDW in 2012 before DS turns 3. We saw people with brand, brand, brand new-think literally just a few weeks old babies-so 6 months was certainly not the youngest babes in the park.

crl
02-23-2011, 03:43 PM
We went last Thanksgiving with a 7 year old and an 8 month old. We had a great time!

Here is a link to my trip report: http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=379845

For us a decent stroller and a good baby carrier were key. I used an Ergo, but a pikkolo would be awesome too. (My stroller was a Cybex Onyx and it was great for us; I did wish for a better canopy and I think they have improved that on newer models.)

Dd was still flexible enough to nap in the stroller some and I headed back to the hotel most afternoons for a nap for her.

Dd is formula fed. At home I use stainless steel bottles, but for the trip, I used the bottles with the drop in liners. Much easier than trying to wash bottles!

You can have supplies shipped to you or order things through local delivery grocery services, which I am sure you know! I actually brought our diapers, etc with us figuring that the space would then be souvenir space on the way home and that worked out well for us.

Hope that helps,
Catherine

Catherine

malibelle
02-23-2011, 04:44 PM
Thanks for all the tips, especially the carriers. I know Disney like the back on my hand but not with an infant. We will have a BJCM. Now to convince my husband but I think it will be much easier once the baby is here!

lhafer
02-23-2011, 05:41 PM
I forgot to post a pic with my prior post. My husband threw his back out severely 2 days before we left for our 10 day trip. He was under dr's orders not to lift anything. So this was me 95% of the time we were at Disney. And I had to deal with the Baby Jogger City Mini Double stroller on and off the buses, while I had DD in the Ergo.

belovedgandp
02-24-2011, 12:44 AM
If your set on November then go for it, but I'd almost error on the side of going earlier. I went with a 3 month old and a 3 1/2 year old and it was perfect. Older child was go-go-go, no diapers, no naps, ready to roll. The baby was small enough to sleep anywhere. Spent 2/3 of the time in a sling and the other 1/3 in a stroller. I had a backpack with essentials and the extra-extras in the stroller. We could park the stroller and wander for 3 or 4 hours before heading back to it for a long haul or to get our stuff. By six months my kids would have been harder hit by not having a routine and would have been wanting table foods. At 3 months they still catnapped and EBF.