PDA

View Full Version : Is this refrigerator going to be too small for a family of 4?

citymama
02-23-2011, 04:06 AM
Our new place needs a refrigerator. It's a remodeled kitchen with an area designated for the fridge - which would fit a not too huge fridge, like 68 " ht max and 28-31 inches depth and width. We've seen two fridges we like that will fit the space - one is 18.5 cu ft and one is 16.5 . The smaller one is cheaper. (They are almost identical in appearance and made by the same co.) Should we pay a couple hundred more for a slightly bigger fridge, or is 16.5 going to be fine? The fridge in our rental is 15 cu ft and it's been fine so far, but a tight squeeze on the day after our TJs trip, maybe! Oh, and we also have space in the basement or garage for a second fridge if we ever needed to get one. What do you think?

WatchingThemGrow
02-23-2011, 07:54 AM
I think it depends on your lifestyle. DH could live with a dorm fridge, but I like to have variety and would prefer to keep a stocked fridge at all times.

Do you eat at home a lot? Do you pack lunches? Drink lots of different choices? Keep lots of refrigerated fresh fruits and vegetables on hand? Do most of your family members eat several meals out of the fridge each day vs. shelf stable or takeout food. Do you have friends/family come over to eat, prepare snacks and such for school or parties? Do you do a CSA box?

My vote is bigger, with lots of great storage features (sliding shelves, etc) because your DC are only getting bigger.

Congrats on the new place!! Have you posted about what you've found yet? I missed it!

TwinFoxes
02-23-2011, 08:03 AM
I'd start with the bigger fridge, that way if you don't have to pay to run a second fridge you won't have to. Between buying a second fridge, and the electricity bill each month, you won't have saved anything. Our refrigerator is a little on the small side (came with the house) and we have a fridge downstairs, but I find myself using the downstairs one a little too often. I'd rather be able to keep more stuff upstairs.

vludmilla
02-23-2011, 11:30 AM
I would definitely vote for going bigger in the hopes that you don't need a second back up fridge. I am surprised by how much more I keep around now that I am in a house and not an apartment. You may find yourself having people over for dinner, parties, or bbq's and that would mean storing more food in your fridge than you ever did in the apartment.

AnnieW625
02-23-2011, 12:43 PM
I wouldn't go any smaller than the 18.5. We have about the same size and ideally I'd like a 21 cu ft. one, but the smaller 18 cu. ft one is still working. The ideal fridge for me would have larger veggie drawers though and less shelf space.

ETA: we have a separate 9 cu. ft. freezer in our garage that we would be lost without, but I know you guys are vegetarians so I don't know if you would need that additional space.

Octobermommy
02-23-2011, 12:47 PM
We just went through the same issue and we went with the larger fridge. We definitely don't regret getting the larger one.

crl
02-23-2011, 12:48 PM
Well, we were fine as a family of three with an 11 cubic foot refrigerator! I did big grocery store shopping once a week and walked to the nearby store mid week for fresh milk and produce. It worked very well for us, minimizing waste. And it was a pre refrigerators house so it was pretty much the only refrigerator that fit in the space.

But I would go for the bigger one since you have the space.

Catherine

Indianamom2
02-23-2011, 01:08 PM
I am all for a larger fridge. I can give up other space, but I love having extra fridge space. I also look for the way it's organized because our old fridge was smaller and had far less organized space. I love the bigger one.

daniele_ut
02-23-2011, 01:13 PM
We are a family of 4 with a 22 cubic foot fridge that I think is barely big enough. I have another fridge downstairs that has a totally full freezer and a few things in the fridge section as well.