PDA

View Full Version : Ipad or macbook

MissyL11
02-23-2011, 09:00 AM
My laptop is starting to go and it needs to be replaced. I primarily use it for internet, email and occasional work processing. Any insights on what would be better an ipad or macbook? Thanks!

mariza
02-23-2011, 09:20 AM
this is going to be no help, but I had the same dilemma over Christmas when my dad offered to buy us a MacBook. I could not digest spending that much money on a laptop given our needs (we have an iMac and used our dying Dell for web surfing only). so we got an iPad and a Toshiba laptop for less than the cost of a MacBook. I guess it really depends on your needs, my friend has a MacBook and loves it, but it is their only household computer. I'm standing in my kitchen right now typing on my iPad and will be reading my iBooks on it later. dH is going to be taking online classes soon and needed something of his own and a MacBook would have been wasted on him. Up until recently he only went online to check email and trade fantasy football players :ROTFLMAO:. My kids love to play games and read kids books that I've downloaded on the iPad, I :heartbeat: my iPad.

sidmand
02-23-2011, 09:37 AM
The iPad isn't really good for any long document typing (well, I think there are apps that make it easier and you could buy a separate keyboard, but the iPad itself, no). Like PP said though, if what you need is a computer, the iPad won't cut it (caveat: I do :heartbeat: my iPad but I also have a couple of desktop computers and an iPhone).

OTOH, it can take the place of an e-Reader, DVD player, Internet surfer, e-mail checker, game player.

So, it really depends what you really need.

mezzona
02-23-2011, 11:18 AM
My laptop is starting to go and it needs to be replaced. I primarily use it for internet, email and occasional work processing. Any insights on what would be better an ipad or macbook? Thanks!

iPad for Internet - yes. email - yes, but if you go thru a lot of email, may need to get the wireless keyboard. work processing is really the deciding factor. can you be more detailed? what sort of work processing? what software do you use now to do your work?

MissyL11
02-23-2011, 03:17 PM
Thanks everyone for the advice. We have 2 older dells in the house so I am going to go with the macbook since I will need to type some longer documents out. I do love the concept of the ipad but I think the laptop is what I am looking for.

jenfromnj
02-23-2011, 05:34 PM
Thanks everyone for the advice. We have 2 older dells in the house so I am going to go with the macbook since I will need to type some longer documents out. I do love the concept of the ipad but I think the laptop is what I am looking for.

I think you'll be very happy with the MacBook (sorry I didn't see this earlier to chime in)! We are a Mac family and we LOVE all of our Apple gadgets.

army_mom
02-23-2011, 05:52 PM
you will love your MacBook! I just got one a few weeks ago to replace a dying laptop and so far it is great (once I got past the $$$ we spent on it!). I also have an iPad from work and while I love to travel with it and surf the net, it would not be my choice for laptop replacement since they currently do not have USB port or CD drive.

Enjoy!