PDA

View Full Version : Do it yourself, H&R block or Tax/financial advisor???

3boys1girl
02-23-2011, 09:35 AM
We have had a number of changes financially this year with a move, owning a new rental and a job change so our taxes have become more complex to say the least. I have always used the H&R block Premium program... and seem to have done fine, but this year I think we need more help. Should I go to H&R block and have someone there help me or should I hire a private tax/financial advisor(way more costly and not sure I would get that much more back in taxes than just going to the block)?

tmahanes
02-23-2011, 09:53 AM
We had those exact same changes and I used the turbo tax that covers investment properties and it walked me right through!

Sent from my Ally using Tapatalk

wencit
02-23-2011, 10:06 AM
We also have those same changes this year and will be going to a private accountant. There is no way I would go back to H&R Block. I used them for a while, but one year they made a mistake twice on our taxes (which weren't even that complicated at the time), and it was next to impossible to find someone to help us in September. It makes me a little nervous to use Turbo Tax for our situation (our rental property is in another state, so not sure how that affects state taxes for us), so we'll be going to a private accountant, especially since this is the first year doing such complicated taxes. To me, the peace of mind is worth the amount of money we have to pay.

vludmilla
02-23-2011, 11:06 AM
We do it ourselves with tax preparation software.

AnnieW625
02-23-2011, 12:45 PM
We do Turbo Tax. One year I thought Turbo Tax was incorrect so I went and bought Tax Cut and it saved us an additional $250 or so, but otherwise since getting married we've had good luck with Turbo Tax.

BabyMine
02-23-2011, 12:47 PM
We did Turbo Tax this year instead of H&R Block. I will be using Turbo Tax next year also.

daniele_ut
02-23-2011, 01:17 PM
We use a CPA. He charges us $250, though pricing is based on your tax situation and which schedules he needs to file. For us it has been worth it to make sure things get done correctly. I did my taxes and then ours with no issues using Tax Act until dh started working a lot of freelance gigs on top of the music lesson income and his regular full time job. Dh has a lot of deductions related to his music income and we always have questions about validity. The CPA makes sure we are claiming things appropriately.

llama8
02-23-2011, 01:18 PM
Turbo Tax for the last few years!

pomegranate
02-23-2011, 01:53 PM
Your changes don't seem that complicated and if you've always done your taxes yourself in the past using web software, you should be able to handle it. I don't know anything about the H&R software, but I know Turbo Tax has different products and the highest end one should definitely be able to walk you through your situations. I have used Turbo Tax Web for about 8 years now and have had various complications such as bought and sold house, income in several states, foreign investments, and exercise of stock options then immediate sale upon exercise. My two cents is that if you have the time to do it, keeping in mind that it might take a longer this year, then you should do it. Not only for the money you save in preparing it, but I think you can learn a lot about your tax situation.