PDA

View Full Version : Useful to Own Single Stroller With Two Kids?

Bootsie
02-23-2011, 01:23 PM
If you have two young kids close in age, is your stroller stable comprised of solely doubles or do you find it useful to have a single (or two singles) on hand as well?

A friend keeps telling me I should keep my eye open for a good single umbrella because I might one day want to take just one DC out (and leave the other with dad) or babywear one and push the other . . . .

cono0507
02-23-2011, 01:33 PM
I often wore one kid and pushed the other. We also just went to disney and found it wonderful to have two single strollers for the kids rather than a double. Easier to maneuver and we could go in different directions if the kids had different rides they wanted/needs/etc. We've found it very useful. Alternately, we often use our phil and ted with the extra jump seat on the back so that both kids can ride if they want to but it has the footprint and maneuverability of a single and can be used as a single - just throw your bags in the extra seat.

roseyloxs
02-23-2011, 01:55 PM
My kids are 2 years apart and have always used a single in my car. Some places indoors are just not double stroller friendly. I much prefer to wear my almost 2 year old on my back and push my 4 year old then to wrestle with a double in tight places.

Neelloc
02-23-2011, 01:57 PM
My oldest kids are 21 months apart, and yes, I found it very useful to have a good single on hand for those times when we went places where my older one could walk, but my younger would ride and I didn't want to deal with a double. We also took 2 Mac singles to Florida and WDW.

hellokitty
02-23-2011, 02:01 PM
My oldest two were 18 mo apart. Basically, I used a double with the two of them until my oldest was 5. After that, I was able to use a single again. Now with DS2 and DS3 having such a large gap, I can usually just get away with a single for DS3 and DS2 walks, so my situation has changed. However, I was a pure double stroller mama for a good 4 yrs before being able to go back to using a single again.

mikeys_mom
02-23-2011, 02:02 PM
My single Mac Quest still got a lot of use even after we had more than 1 child. I find doubles so cumbersome so any chance I had to use just the single, out came the Quest.

I added a Valco HH board to it when DS still needed to be contained. At times I wore DD1 and put DS in the stroller. With the twins, up until they were 18 months old, for quick trips and for Dr's appointments, I would wear one and put one in the Quest.

sweetsoul99
02-23-2011, 05:52 PM
My Kiddo's are 21 months apart. While I love my double Bob, I hate taking it in and out of the trunk of our car. So I've always had a single in the trunk of my car. I like to make DD1 walk as much as possible, especially for short trips. She's super good at staying close by. If they were a little bit longer of trips, I'd use the shopping cart, or wore DD2 and put DD1 in the stroller. When DD2 got to heavy to wear, I purchased a buggy board to attach onto my techno, she LOVES it. She likes to sit on it and stick her legs out sideways. Now they both fight over who gets to ride the skateboard. If DD1 was a little more energetic and was hard to contain, I'd probably get a lightweight double to stick in the car. Still, I like having a single umbrella since DD1 (now almost 4) can walk more and more these days.

legaleagle
02-24-2011, 12:42 AM
Mine are currently 2.5 and 9 months (21 months apart) and I use my singles quite a bit. My 2 year old can walk just fine but he's a runner so I keep him contained quite a bit. I did do some babywearing when DS2 was a newborn too though with the heat and his giantness he did more riding than I orginally planned. Esp if it's a quick walk/errand I'll often use the single. Definitely get something with a one hand push. LOVE my cybex callisto for this. 1 hand push with the bar handle, full recline & great canopy, and car-seat style strap adjustment means it's perfect for switching between the kids.

WatchingThemGrow
02-24-2011, 07:44 AM
I need a single very often and a double very often. When one is in preschool, at Grandma's or whatever, I find that putting the baby on my back and pushing the 3yo helps me go into places I would normally have to miss. Consignment sales and Gymboree being two of those...

artvandalay
02-24-2011, 08:37 AM
It would probably be a good idea to find a nice, lightweight umbrella. I got rid of my double when my middle child was 3.5. He just walked everywhere after that.

If yours are closer in age, you will be using the double most of the time, but when the older one starts preschool you can use the single for shopping trips and stuff with the younger child.