PDA

View Full Version : Eco-friendly way to clean rings?

TwoBees
02-23-2011, 01:56 PM
My rings need to be cleaned badly. I have the ammonia soak that comes in the red tub, but I hate using ammonia. Is there a safer, greener way to clean them? I really need an inexpensive, at-home steam cleaner. Do those exist?

elliput
02-23-2011, 02:04 PM
A soft toothbrush and a basic toothpaste work wonders for cleaning jewelry. Just make sure you close the drain on your sink when you rinse.

TwoBees
02-23-2011, 02:48 PM
A soft toothbrush and a basic toothpaste work wonders for cleaning jewelry. Just make sure you close the drain on your sink when you rinse.

I had no idea. Will a gel toothpaste work, or does it need to be a paste?

DrSally
02-23-2011, 06:19 PM

I bet it has to be paste.

YouAreTheFocus
02-23-2011, 06:45 PM

Yeah, paste is better, but I have used gel as well. I just smear a bit in a paper towel and squish the ring around. You'll be amazed at all the black stuff on the towel!

Neatfreak
02-23-2011, 07:25 PM
Isn't toothpaste abrasive?

vludmilla
02-23-2011, 10:11 PM
I just use dishsoap and a toothbrush with warm water. Every few years I bring the ring to a jeweler for professional cleaning and polishing but the toothbrush and dishsoap works well.

MBAChick
03-01-2011, 01:36 PM
This sounds silly but every time i go to the dentist I ask my hygenist to put my rings in the cleaner that they use for their instruments and they come out looking brand new. Not even the jewleer cna do as good fo a job in my opinion.
They have that thing running all day long anyways so it isnt asking for a special or additional cycle. It has been a habit for me the last 5 years that I sit down in the chair and take my rings off to go to the cleaner. Just make sure to remember to get them back before you leave!
:thumbsup:

truly scrumptious
03-01-2011, 02:48 PM
Try baking soda. I usually wet the rings and sprinkle some baking soda to make it into a paste, and use a toothbrush to polish it (again, make sure the drain is closed!) It works great!

elliput
03-02-2011, 11:43 AM
Isn't toothpaste abrasive?

Yes, it is. But not enough to worry about. Daily wear is most likely worse for your jewelry than a bit of toothpaste and a soft brush.