PDA

View Full Version : Birth Announcement Videos

pampers37
02-23-2011, 02:53 PM
Hello all!

we are expecting our first in april and im an avid amateur photographer, so for the most part i'll be behind the camera snapping shots.

i had a question, do people hire or have videographers come capture moments during the birthing process? im not referring to the actual birth in the delivery room, but maybe hanging around to see the reactions of family/friends/etc. a highlight video or "birth announcement video"

i tried looking around but dont really know if what it is called... im sure there is something out there. i guess if anything, you could take a group of pictures and put them to a slideshow and music.

thoughts? TIA

indigo99
02-23-2011, 05:52 PM
I watched a lot of a Birth Story while pg with DS and thought it would be cool to have someone document the day like that for me. However, I didn't actually go far enough to contact anyone about it. IMO people aren't all that comfortable being on camera, and it is already such a stressful situation to begin with. I do kind of wish that we had more photos from the hospital, but I'm the photographer (not DS), and I wasn't really worried about the camera at the time.

If it's important to you, I would hire someone to come in and do photographs rather than try to do it yourself. That way you can be in the moment and not worried about it. It is more difficult to really experience things when you're looking at it through a camera. That will also ensure that you are in the photos as well, and you will then have editing power to remove the photos of yourself that you don't like (easier with pics than video).

misshollygolightly
02-23-2011, 06:00 PM
I've never done this or known anyone who has, but just wanted to point out that if you're planning on a hospital delivery you should check on hospital policy before hiring a videographer. Many hospitals place strict limits on who/how many visitors can be in the room before, during, and after the birth. Even if you don't want a videographer in the actual delivery room, you may run into obstacles with having one at other points along the way. This varies a lot from hospital to hospital, so check it out before you get your heart set on something!

JoyNChrist
02-23-2011, 06:08 PM
I'm not sure about a videographer, but I know several people who've hired professional "birth photographers" for their births. The images they capture are spectacular. Even though you're into photography, I might consider something like that so that you can focus on the birth. I wish I would have done it for my births.

Of course, you should check if your hospital allows extra people in the room during delivery.