PDA

View Full Version : What Prenatal do you take?

Bens Momma
02-23-2011, 04:59 PM
Just returned from my 8 week nurse's visit where they give you the big bag of magazine, samples, etc. Although I've been taking the prenatal that my OB prescribed for the past 8 weeks, I took a look at one of the other prenatal samples from the bag and was appalled at the ingredients, one of which was a hydrogenated oil. I don't buy any food, etc with hydrogenated oils for our family due to the ill effects and health factor so I was stunned that a prenatal would contain it. It got me thinking to check the label on the ones I've been taking so far and although the didn't contain anything hydrogenated, they did contain 3 different artificial food colors, vanillan (which is artificial vanilla flavoring), ammonium hydroxide, isopropyl alcohol, n-butyl alcohol, and some sort of shellac glaze, and titanium dioxide :47: While they do contain folic acid, DHA, and other healthy stuff I was stunned at those other ingredients no matter what the concentration. We eat healthy and those are all things that I don't buy if I see them on a food label. I know I need a prenatal, but the ones I've been taking are apparently full of crap! Open to recommendations/suggestions before I meet with my OB on Friday!

Thanks!
Momma to 2 ACTIVE DS :bouncy::bouncy:
and another Jumping Bean appearing in the month of Halloween!

ahrimie
02-24-2011, 01:22 AM
I haven't checked the ingredients for mine but I love CitraNatal - Assure. I took this the first time around too. It has DHA and a little bit of stool softener that I need while preggo. There's also Rainbow Light that a lot of moms like and it's OTC. I took this while I bf'ed.

AnnieW625
02-24-2011, 12:27 PM
I needed to take an iron free one because of my IBS w/constipation so I continued taking my regular no iron multiple from Nature's Blend (I get it at Kaiser), which has 400 mg of Folic Acid in it. I took a second Folic Acid supplement tab that had 800 mg of Folic Acid (from the same company) at the same time too. It has no hydrogenated oils in it. I also took Costco's 1200 mg Fish Oil capsules (http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11248464&search=fish+oil&Mo=5&cm_re=1_en-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&lang=en-US&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Sp=S&N=5000043&whse=BC&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntk=Text_Search&Dr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ne=4000000&D=fish+oil&Ntt=fish+oil&No=4&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&topnav=&s=1)

In the past I have taken Rainbow Light One Complete Iron Free Multi and have been fine with it, as well as Whole Foods brand multiples.

KLD313
02-24-2011, 12:48 PM
I took Natelle but never checked the ingredients.

misshollygolightly
02-24-2011, 01:47 PM
I really like Rainbow Light Prenatal One Multivitamin (available at CVS and most drugstores, etc.). Here's the ingredient list: http://www.rainbowlight.com/Categories.aspx?Category=d83213e2-f71d-43ff-836d-c71835132d2f

bisous
02-24-2011, 07:55 PM
I've also been using Rainbow light and like it. :)

meags
02-24-2011, 08:24 PM
I was taking Prenate until my morning sickness started, after that I couldn't swallow such a large vitamin. I switched to OB Select + DHA which is chewable. Good choice if you have a hard time swallowing those monster vitamins. I don't know the ingredients, but they are definitely easier on my stomach than the Prenate was.

vonfirmath
02-25-2011, 11:12 AM
I use CVS prenatals.

♥ms.pacman♥
02-25-2011, 11:18 AM
i take flinstones complete chewables plus a calcium/vit D supplement. i could never stand prenatals, always made me sick.

morgan1611
02-25-2011, 11:46 PM
I take SuperMom from Beeyoutiful.com. They are all natural, and I feel great on them. They are rather big, but they come in two forms, a capsule and a tablet. I compared the nutrients to the samples my OB gave me, and these contained the same or more of every nutrient except iron. I also take cod liver oil in capsules and am amazed at my energy level difference since beginning that.

soon2b4
03-06-2011, 10:46 PM
I also take CitraNatal Assure. I tried One a Day Prenantals, but the DHA component left me with fishy tasting burps. Blech.
During my first pregnancy, I couldn't stomach the prenatals, so I just took a multi, then a separate folic acid. Later on, I added an iron supplement (Feosol?)

scrooks
03-06-2011, 10:58 PM
Target brand prenatal with an additional prescription of folic acid.

ctwojo
03-06-2011, 11:50 PM
I have a prescription prenatal--prenatal plus. Seems to do its job! :)

catsnkid
03-07-2011, 03:26 PM
I started with a rx chewable from PCP, switched to prenate dha, now on to prenexa. I like having only one pill.