PDA

View Full Version : umbrella stroller vs. larger one

boilermakermom
02-23-2011, 05:36 PM
i posted previously about purchasing a new umbrella stroller to use at zoo, musuem, etc. and the response really helped me decide on which one to buy!! thanks!!!

but, a friend bought up a good point...will an umbrella stroller be enough for a day at the zoo, etc.? wouldn't my big chicco stroller be more comfortable for DD and more space for bags, etc.?

i have decided on either the maclaren quest or triumph.

what do you typically use on outings? umbrella stroller or something larger? i can't imagine we need THAT much stuff to warrant the huge chicco - plus it is too big for crowds.

but...am i going to wind up carrying a ton of stuff b/c the basket on the mac is tiny?

Mommaof3
02-23-2011, 05:39 PM
I just got a bjcm and the basket is a decent size, It will be my zoo/park stroller. BTW the fold is awesome and it is fairly light.

rin
02-23-2011, 05:50 PM
We've always found that our Quest is fine for an outing. If you put heavy things (like a full waterbottle) in the basket you can load up the handlebars with bags/coats/etc and not have to worry about it tipping.

As for how much you take, I think it totally depends on the season, the age of your kid(s), and whether you tend to be into full-service outings where you don't have to worry about finding food or more minimalist, figure-it-out-as-you go types. We're probably somewhere in the middle: for an all-day outing with lots of outside time we always take jackets or sweaters (if it's coolish), snacks, diapers & wipes, a spare outfit, water & sippy cups, camera, a few stroller toys or a board book or two, and so on, and can fit everything in the Quest's basket & on the handlebars. We put the heavy things in the basket (water bottles mostly), shove as many coats down there as we can fit, and then drape any extra coats between the handlebars & canopy & hang the rest of the stuff in a backpack off the handlebars. Some people like to have more storage room than we do, though, and I don't think that a Quest would be a great choice for a family that needed a lot of storage room.

edurnemk
02-23-2011, 06:46 PM
For a long outing I prefer my full size stroller, due to the push mostly. But I have used the umbrella, however my umbrella is not very bare bones. I would never do a long outing with a stroller that doesn't have full recline, a good canopy, a basket that can hold a couple of sweaters and that I can hang my diaper bag from the handles. My Chicco Liteway can handle all that, but with a 3 yo I hate the steering so I was thinking of replacing it with a Cybex Callisto. It has an umbrella fold, but a single handlebar. Actually strollerqueen wrote a review about using it at the zoo. I also considered the BJCM and the Valco Latitude EX.

blondflava
02-23-2011, 07:21 PM
I just got a bjcm and the basket is a decent size, It will be my zoo/park stroller. BTW the fold is awesome and it is fairly light.

Same here! I did take a Quest to the zoo, but it wasn't a full day outing. I think, with a smaller tippy umbrella strollers, it's all about thoughtful packing - utilizing the saddle bags for instance, and a lunch cooler with drinks and a smaller 'pod' style changing bag, you can actually pack a lot, as opposed to one big diaper bag that will tip the stroller for sure! Also, those parent organizers with a mesh bag will hold a little :).

roseyloxs
02-23-2011, 10:18 PM
Full size stroller for all the reasons already mentioned. Push, Canopy, Storage.